Wikiposts

Weather UK to die for.

Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:36 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather UK to die for.

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Err were you here last 'summer'?
last summer was a bad one although we had some good weeks. I am talking overall, the weather is perfect for outdoor activities that I enjoy, hiking, hill running and cycling, which was impossible in perth
Its been great for the last couple on months also.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:36 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tableland
This thing that puzzles me is how people can move to Australia without understanding it's hot before they go there. I mean, the whole "we hate flies and blue skies" thing. Books anyone? Journals? Te-le-vi-sion?? Reeesurch??

Errm, we did our 'reeeesearch' very thoroughly indeed actually. We knew pretty much what we were letting ourselves in for. BUT reading about it and actally living in it are two completely different things
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Errm, we did our 'reeeesearch' very thoroughly indeed actually. We knew pretty much what we were letting ourselves in for. BUT reading about it and actally living in it are two completely different things
Here here! Too right!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I disagree strongly. I don't need to live in Yellowknife to know what a long, cold winter is.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:32 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugsy
I'm in Spain and the weather's generally fab and the summer sweltering. But, by end August, I'm sick of the pool, the heat, the flies, the towels and cozzies lying around everywhere. There's alot to be said for the UK and I'd never move anywhere just for the weather (hubby works in Gib.).
I'm also in Spain and the weather changes so much. We had a very hot summer but the winter was cold with frost in the mornings, then some days was quite hot We have recently had themperatures in the high 20's and then yesterday the temp dropped and it has been blowing a gale since 6.30pm yesterday and is bloomin' cold

Spain is lovely in nice weather, even when it's hot there are places to go where it's cool but in the winter it is miserable, particularly as they still have the siesta from around midday to 5 or 6pm so everywhere is usually closed

Can't wait to get back to the UK and some 'proper' seasonal weather - you know where you stand in the UK And there is no siesta
Old Mar 4th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree strongly. I don't need to live in Yellowknife to know what a long, cold winter is.
I think you're almost starting to contradict yourself here!

And seeing as you seem to participate in a number of the threads on the MBTTUK forum, you should realise that the weather is NOT the sole reason many people do not like Australia and want to leave.

Every single one of us have personal experience and reasons. It seems you rather enjoy just winding people up, or ignoring their opinions.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
I think you're almost starting to contradict yourself here!

And seeing as you seem to participate in a number of the threads on the MBTTUK forum, you should realise that the weather is NOT the sole reason many people do not like Australia and want to leave.

Every single one of us have personal experience and reasons. It seems you rather enjoy just winding people up, or ignoring their opinions.
Well then it just seems that way. I make no contradiction at all. My point is consistent and stands. My initial point was to exporess surprise that someone could move to Australia without realising that it was hot, or what hot means. All it takes is research. Like I said, I have never been to Yellowknife, but I know what the winter would be like through research, and I would not move there for the reason that weather is a large determinant of behaviour and outcomes, as can clearly be inferred through the most cursory glance of this forum.

Regards,
T.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Well then it just seems that way. I make no contradiction at all. My point is consistent and stands. My initial point was to exporess surprise that someone could move to Australia without realising that it was hot, or what hot means. All it takes is research. Like I said, I have never been to Yellowknife, but I know what the winter would be like through research, and I would not move there for the reason that weather is a large determinant of behaviour and outcomes, as can clearly be inferred through the most cursory glance of this forum.

Regards,
T.

What utter baloney. People know what hot means and they probably think they will like it. It isnt until you have lived here a while that you realize how enervating constant heat can be - no amount of research is going to let you know how you personally are going to react. Nor how your body will respond to the tedium of constant hot weather, especially if you live in those parts of Aus where you dont have defined seasons. I am sure that those who come here, know that airconditioning is a must, that they need to slather themselves with aeroguard and spf30 whenever they go outside and without having experienced it they believe that it has to be better than what they leave behind. Then they discover that among the myriad other things that annoy the hell out of you here, the weather is just another faggot on the fire of disillusionment.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
What utter baloney. People know what hot means and they probably think they will like it. It isnt until you have lived here a while that you realize how enervating constant heat can be - no amount of research is going to let you know how you personally are going to react. Nor how your body will respond to the tedium of constant hot weather, especially if you live in those parts of Aus where you dont have defined seasons. I am sure that those who come here, know that airconditioning is a must, that they need to slather themselves with aeroguard and spf30 whenever they go outside and without having experienced it they believe that it has to be better than what they leave behind. Then they discover that among the myriad other things that annoy the hell out of you here, the weather is just another faggot on the fire of disillusionment.
I am sure you are not really this dismissive of intelligent research. If your hypothesis stands - how come I know I don't want to live somewhere where they have six months of winter and temperatures as low as -50? I haven't been there. I have never experienced -50. Yet I know.

The same goes for 45 degrees every day for a fortnight. I also know I could not live in the Sahara yet I have never been there. The problem is British people are totally ignorant of the Australian climate. Because they see lawn bowls and cricket there they think it's just a sunny version of West Sussex. They should be more careful, I guess.

Well maybe I'm being to hard on people. I know I can learn about the effects of these extremes through reading, and embellish this with anecdotal evidence and even my imagination. I guess not everyone can do this.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:53 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

When you actually live in constant heat you would give ANYTHING to have a cooler climate, the Australians themselves hate the constant heat and would love a cooler climate, after the 40c plus of Perth I would honestly hand on heart prefer -15 in Canada, at least you can go outside and wrap yourself up.
In Spain you will notice that the Spanish do not go outside unless fully covered to protect themselves from the harmful rays, its only the thick brits you see in shorts and vests in the midday sun, 2 weeks a year holiday is great, but to work and live in a hot Country is not fun belive me.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I am sure you are not really this dismissive of intelligent research. If your hypothesis stands - how come I know I don't want to live somewhere where they have six months of winter and temperatures as low as -50? I haven't been there. I have never experienced -50. Yet I know.

The same goes for 45 degrees every day for a fortnight. I also know I could not live in the Sahara yet I have never been there. The problem is British people are totally ignorant of the Australian climate. Because they see lawn bowls and cricket there they think it's just a sunny version of West Sussex. They should be more careful, I guess.

Well maybe I'm being to hard on people. I know I can learn about the effects of these extremes through reading, and embellish this with anecdotal evidence and even my imagination. I guess not everyone can do this.
Yes you are being hard on people - i have been here 29 years and for the first few years it was fine, I was young and it was like a blessed relief to be in a country which had warm summers - I had previously lived in PNG where it is also hot and very tropical. Over the years however my body has aged and the heat is no longer nearly as attractive and the fact that it is hot constantly (a week of 30+ coming up) is definitely a drain on your body and your emotions that no amount of research is going to tell you. With all due respect, no amount of reading and intelligent research can prepare you for physiological experiences especially as your body ages. We are not all as naive as you would like to think we are. I have no idea why you dont want to live in the Arctic or the Sahara - people do live in both places and apparently quite happily. If you dont fancy 45C every day for a fortnight, I hope you arent going to live in Perth!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:51 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Many Countries in the World would die for our climate.
Lets get rid of this “the weather is crap in the UK garbage” after almost 2 years in a sweltering Oz when most days were like walking into a hair dryer on hot I was so relived to get back and actually “breath” fresh cool air, I have been back for 5 years and except for last year which had above average rainfall but still warm to hot in the summer ,I have loved the seasons and cannot understand the people who try to justify going abroad by saying it is always drizzling we have had hosepipe bans for 9 out of the last 10 years in England.
For all those returning, the weather has been very nice and sunny for the last 6 weeks.

We never get a hosepipe ban in Rochdale...........
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
We never get a hosepipe ban in Rochdale...........
You dont get much in Rochdale though
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:08 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

You dont get much in Rochdale though
we get loads of rain......so there
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

ahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to allahappychappy is a name known to all

Weather UK to die for or die from!

I do not visit this site often but after reading this post and a few others written by yourself I just had to say that I do not agree with your peddling of mistruth. I have lived in AUS for 12 years after 32 in the UK and recently returned from a 1-month trip to the UK. The winter weather was not as you described. Those grey cold days are still there, as are the very short daylight hours. I find it hard to believe that many countries would "KILL" for the UK climate; if you said the Tasmanian climate, or the climate of France then I might believe you. I am not sure if the UK air is that fresh either?

I have worked in many parts of Australia and it is not all sweltering either. I have also worked in Perth during the winter for two months and it was not sweltering then. Australia is a large country with a very diverse climate. You cannot compare the climates of say Perth, Tasmania, Sydney and Darwin for example and place them all under a heading of sweltering. Each is very distinct. I live in Sydney and we have very marked seasonal change each year.

With all that good weather going on in the UK and all the activities you indulge in I am surprised you still have time or energy after 5 years to still be on this site posting so prolifically!

Many Countries in the World would die for our climate.
Lets get rid of this “the weather is crap in the UK garbage” after almost 2 years in a sweltering Oz when most days were like walking into a hair dryer on hot I was so relived to get back and actually “breath” fresh cool air, I have been back for 5 years and except for last year which had above average rainfall but still warm to hot in the summer ,I have loved the seasons and cannot understand the people who try to justify going abroad by saying it is always drizzling we have had hosepipe bans for 9 out of the last 10 years in England.
For all those returning, the weather has been very nice and sunny for the last 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.