Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

We may be heading for Scotland...

We may be heading for Scotland...

Old Jun 26th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We may be heading for Scotland...

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You (general) don't pick where you're going to live by what party people around you may or may not vote for, why would you (particular) think this is any different? About 70% of my family and friends voted to remain, 30% to leave, they all live in the same small area, they're all friends, the Leavers aren't planning on moving to a different part of England and anyway quite a lot of Scots voted to remain. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
I think I have knee-jerked like a lot of people. That's what comes with living in the US for so long! I so want to be with "my own people"

I am from London, but can't see being able to afford it now. Otherwise, I would not be having this conversation. Finding somewhere else to live has been a four year search.

I was quite happy with my choice of Norwich. That hasn't changed. Not being in the EU was not something I anticipated, and I am exploring how that affects my choice.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Yep the southern university cities mostly voted to Remain too, such as Brighton, Winchester, Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Oxford and Cambridge.

I think that one has to be a bit careful painting whole boroughs with the same broad brush of Brexiteers though. Sevenoaks which is THE strongest Conservative majority constituency in England voted for Brexit in spite of having a high density of million plus houses, because of the lay-out of the borough. One could say similar of Canterbury though there isn't the same money.

Here in Weymouth it is quite clear what the overall sentiment IS and was likely TO BE in spite of some wonderful neighbourhoods which are just far too much money to live in but even in them one NEVER gets a sense of any sort of community.

We long ago mentally made the decision that we would never be inviting anybody in our immediate neighbourhood round to tea as it simply ain't that kind of 'party' which is kind of sad but there it is. It's quiet and relatively tidy give or take the seagulls and as much as we could ask for I suppose.

We'll have to see, like you, what transpires
Most definitely. That is all one can do at this point

I think if you put me in context with where I live now (Florida, USA), and consider the political and social climate (not at all to my liking) you would understand why I am wary of finding myself in a similar situation. It's not that I plan to be politically active. On the contrary, like John, I would just as soon have a quiet and peaceful retirement. And that's the point really. We would just like to find ourselves somewhere with like-minded people, where we can feel comfortable. It's not something we have found much of here in Florida for the past 20 years that we have been here.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I can't imagine returning to the UK would ever be on the cards for me and if something happened that made me no longer want to stay in Canada, I might have resurrected the original plan of going off to Spain to live modestly in retirement.

This hasn't stopped me dipping into "what areas in England should I return to" threads on this part of the forum and wondering.

Scotland is more appealing since Thursday. Although I could hardly do that and still want them to lose at football all the time.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Hello lovely people! After so many months of researching and deciding on Norwich, we may be going to Scotland instead. I know there are a few Scots/Scottish residents on here. Can anyone give me some suggestions for a quiet Edinburgh suburb, with all amenities, as well as good transport into the city - 30 minute bus ride tops? We don't plan on having a car. Thanks in advance.
Is it definitely Edinburgh you want? Nothing wrong with it - just there are lots of good areas around Edinburgh too and definitely commutable.

In Edinburgh there are lots of lovely areas. Will you be buying? That will dictate a lot. Are you looking for a house, flat, old, new build, villa etc.. will you be wanting a garden have to be near to schools etc..

I know Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian, some of the Borders and Falkirk quite well.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

A bit tongue in cheeck this but stranger things have happened - you may not have to locate in Scotland to be under political management of SNP. Among the huge quantity of TV speculation today was the suggestion that Nicola Sturgeon should seek to be UK Prime Minister as she is the only one showing leadership at this time.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 10:20 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
A bit tongue in cheeck this but stranger things have happened - you may not have to locate in Scotland to be under political management of SNP. Among the huge quantity of TV speculation today was the suggestion that Nicola Sturgeon should seek to be UK Prime Minister as she is the only one showing leadership at this time.
I am now going to have nightmares tonight!! LOL!!!!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You (general) don't pick where you're going to live by what party people around you may or may not vote for, why would you (particular) think this is any different? About 70% of my family and friends voted to remain, 30% to leave, they all live in the same small area, they're all friends, the Leavers aren't planning on moving to a different part of England and anyway quite a lot of Scots voted to remain. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
We live in a part of the world were we do not have a lot of EU migrants but the area still voted to leave, it seems people I know voted for leaving for various reasons and not just for migration control, I find it a bit upsetting on the reports from the media that "leavers" are not well educated, racist, did not understand the political aspect of leaving, it is very condescending. The UK voted to leave and no matter how we may feel about that, we now have to move on, Scotland is part of the UK and as a country we the (UK) voted to leave Europe, when Scotland had their referendum on staying within the UK they voted to stay (the Scottish voters knew we were going to have this vote on the Europe) how would the Scottish voters have felt then if the rest of the UK then wanted a re-vote because we did not want them in the UK? a vote is a vote and the outcome is always not going to please everyone, we are a democracy and that is how the UK people voted.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We live in a part of the world were we do not have a lot of EU migrants but the area still voted to leave, it seems people I know voted for leaving for various reasons and not just for migration control, I find it a bit upsetting on the reports from the media that "leavers" are not well educated, racist, did not understand the political aspect of leaving, it is very condescending. The UK voted to leave and no matter how we may feel about that, we now have to move on, Scotland is part of the UK and as a country we the (UK) voted to leave Europe, when Scotland had their referendum on staying within the UK they voted to stay (the Scottish voters knew we were going to have this vote on the Europe) how would the Scottish voters have felt then if the rest of the UK then wanted a re-vote because we did not want them in the UK? a vote is a vote and the outcome is always not going to please everyone, we are a democracy and that is how the UK people voted.
It seems that almost exactly the same percentage of the vote to remain in Scotland features in polls as the percentage that would now vote for independence, suggesting that the Scots through strength of the SNP used this referendum to ultimately demonstrate their political will with independence as the ultimate goal.

England's vote to Brexit played right into their (SNP's) hands.

This also of course speaks volumes that it was indeed independence rather than membership of the EU that was in voters' minds on Thursday.

Let's remember that pre Joe Cox's death the Brexiteers appeared to have a solid lead. After that sad event the polls became far more unclear in England but it was the markets that somehow saw a Remain looming. The lack of motivation in English voters on the Remain side is part of the reason for the result that we got. There is feedback that the young didn't comprehend how (relatively) powerful ONE VOTE is in a referendum.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 27th 2016 at 7:38 am.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:39 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
There is nothing democratic about the result.

Only 37.47% of the electorate voted to leave. And, Brits abroad for more than 15 years were denied the vote, even though those in Europe were going to have their lives turned upside-down by the result.

So a minority of the adult population is forcing a major and irreversible change which will negatively affect all of us.

Parliament is sovereign. The majority of MPs oppose Brexit and they should do their job, represent the majority of the population, and refuse to implement the referendum result.

IMO.

And yes, the people who voted out are the most stupid and ill educated part of the population. They've just been set an IQ test and they failed it.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
There is nothing democratic about the result.

Only 37.47% of the electorate voted to leave. And, Brits abroad for more than 15 years were denied the vote, even though those in Europe were going to have their lives turned upside-down by the result.

So a minority of the adult population is forcing a major and irreversible change which will negatively affect all of us.

Parliament is sovereign. The majority of MPs oppose Brexit and they should do their job, represent the majority of the population, and refuse to implement the referendum result.

IMO.

And yes, the people who voted out are the most stupid and ill educated part of the population. They've just been set an IQ test and they failed it.
Well indeed even the Greeks recognised that the electorate were for the most part uninformed and stupid but they invented democracy?

The crunch is going to be whether we can get past the deadline that seems to have been set by the EU bosses (Except Angela Merkel) which is tomorrow night.

Indeed parliament is sovereign and they should have originally been given the decision on any IN or OUT in theory but this was about the Conservative Party's own internal squabbling (and UKIP) so it wasn't going to get tabled or resolved like that because the Tory right would have been SOOL.

We may yet see something very creative put forward helped by the fact that the Brexiteers must be cottoning on to the fact that NOTHING (most certainly nothing positive since they will mostly feel the 'heat' of this) is going to change FOR THEM as a result of their vote other than that their spleens have been vented.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 27th 2016 at 7:57 am. Reason: most certainly nothing positive since they will mostly feel the heat of this
Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:58 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one, Editha. Condemn everyone who didn't support your choice as stupid and ill educated.

I'm pro-immigration. Educated to doctorate level. High level of intellectual and emotional intelligence. I voted Leave. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, but I'd expect an educated person such as yourself to be able to hold your own in a debate without having to resort to denigration and nastiness.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Nice one, Editha. Condemn everyone who didn't support your choice as stupid and ill educated.

I'm pro-immigration. Educated to doctorate level. High level of intellectual and emotional intelligence. I voted Leave. You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it, but I'd expect an educated person such as yourself to be able to hold your own in a debate without having to resort to denigration and nastiness.
Put it another way then! The UK media (oh boy those wonderful people) have been almost laughing at the United States perceiving that it must be in such a woeful condition that it would allow somebody like Donald Trump to get anywhere close to a nomination for the US presidency and yet we can now look at ourselves and state fairly that through exploitation (no lesser word suits) of certain large groups of the electorate by dog whistle tactics (just the same as Donald Trump and A ____ H_____ ) and woeful lies, now conceded to, plus a clearly blatantly one-sided media* on this particular topic, a referendum result was in some way "achieved".

That is not to say that leaving the EU in of itself is a bad idea - having a PLAN as to how to leave first might help though - and therefore voting for same is foolish but it is what the voters were fed and in many cases clearly reacted to that makes them lesser for it. Stirring up racist sentiments is just so cheap and EASY in the UK.

People care more about immigration when they don't know what an immigrant looks like? Pleeeeease!

We can lord democracy left, right and centre but in this case democracy was not served by any stretch of the imagination and the truth of what has gone on here is only just starting to unravel. We were used!

*The true true irony is that the media never bothered to try and find out what was really hurting in the English heartlands that caused them to be so angry because they are part of the problem that caused the anger. Actually it's much the same anger that the Scots feel but we don't get to vote on it.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Jun 27th 2016 at 8:34 am. Reason: *The true true irony is that the media never bothered to tryActually it's much the same anger that the Scots feel but we don'
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:22 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

When Scotland votes for independence, as a result of this referendum, and the UK ceases to exist, as a result of your vote in this referendum, come back and remind me of your educational qualifications.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's focus on the positive here. Scotland is a great country and it would be a huge benefit if they joined the EU as an independent country. Scottish people seem to be more a lot more positive and focus on the future rather than the past.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

When Scotland votes for independence, as a result of this referendum, and the UK ceases to exist, as a result of your vote in this referendum, come back and remind me of your educational qualifications.
I mentioned my educational qualifications as a direct counter to your 'ill educated' comment, I have no interest in debating any further with you.

I hope you feel better about things soon, it's obviously affected you badly (sincerely meant, not a dig). Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.