British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   We made it! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/we-made-759565/)

Bayleaf_01 May 25th 2012 11:56 pm

We made it!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to send an update to let you all know we made it. Been 'stateside' 12 days and picked up our social security numbers this morning. No queuing, in and out of the SS office in 10 minutes!
Loving Michigan weather so far and the kids are very happy we are staying in a condo with a swimming pool in the complex!
Picking up lease cars on Tuesday which is also the day our air shipment is delivered.
Now just have to find a rental apartment/town house for the next year and a school to go with it and we'll be sorted!

Oh, managed to fit in a trip to Urgent Care for my daughter to get a course of antibiotics which was fun - trying to explain that we had only just arrived and our medical insurance wasn't set up because we didn't have social security through - but they were an 'in network' provider and the insurance would be back dated (once it is active), so we should be OK to access care. The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???

Fun fun fun :p

Mr Weeze May 26th 2012 12:13 am

Re: We made it!

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10082574)
The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???

You are an alien over here! And I guess it depends on how strong your Geordie accent is...

Lion in Winter May 26th 2012 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10082574)
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to send an update to let you all know we made it. Been 'stateside' 12 days and picked up our social security numbers this morning. No queuing, in and out of the SS office in 10 minutes!
Loving Michigan weather so far and the kids are very happy we are staying in a condo with a swimming pool in the complex!
Picking up lease cars on Tuesday which is also the day our air shipment is delivered.
Now just have to find a rental apartment/town house for the next year and a school to go with it and we'll be sorted!

Oh, managed to fit in a trip to Urgent Care for my daughter to get a course of antibiotics which was fun - trying to explain that we had only just arrived and our medical insurance wasn't set up because we didn't have social security through - but they were an 'in network' provider and the insurance would be back dated (once it is active), so we should be OK to access care. The nurse just looked at me like I was an alien ...... maybe she just couldn't understand me???

Fun fun fun :p

Whereabouts in Michigan are you?

Forgot to mention - find the school before you find the house. State schools have fairly strict geographic boundaries around their attendance areas, and you can get stuck in a terrible school based on where you live.

Bayleaf_01 May 26th 2012 12:46 am

We are in Troy at the minute, but looking to move up to Rochester Hills. I am trying to get an appointment at a elementary school that ranks excellent on the Internet school sites. There is a good rental village in their catchment and a couple of really nice sub in their catchment as well. Trying to work out a nice area and a nice school and hope nice rental there as well!

Lion in Winter May 26th 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10082640)
We are in Troy at the minute, but looking to move up to Rochester Hills. I am trying to get an appointment at a elementary school that ranks excellent on the Internet school sites. There is a good rental village in their catchment and a couple of really nice sub in their catchment as well. Trying to work out a nice area and a nice school and hope nice rental there as well!

Sounds like a plan.

Hope you brought lots of winter clothes.:D

Bayleaf_01 May 26th 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze (Post 10082594)
You are an alien over here! And I guess it depends on how strong your Geordie accent is...

You have a point there. I didn't think it was that strong, but I seem to have a probably pronouncing my G sound - which doesn't help when trying to spell out my email address and my name is Gill!!!
Must practice the Queen's English :p

Bayleaf_01 May 26th 2012 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 10082642)
Sounds like a plan.

Hope you brought lots of winter clothes.:D

Oh yes, it's all in the shipment!!! Had to go out and by the kids new summer stuff when we got here, didn't need any last year in England!!!

Lion in Winter May 26th 2012 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01 (Post 10082648)
Oh yes, it's all in the shipment!!! Had to go out and by the kids new summer stuff when we got here, didn't need any last year in England!!!

Welcome to the Midwest - land of temperature extremes.

TangoBlue May 26th 2012 7:59 pm

Congratulations on moving to the US. I hope your move went with ease. :)

Karen68 May 27th 2012 6:01 pm

Welcome to Oakland County!

I am not far from you, in Bloomfield Hills, so feel free to drop me a PM if there's anything you need some help with, or want to meet up to get an idea of things.