We Love England!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all
Default Re: We Love England!

Originally Posted by dunroving
You haven't given it long enough.

Good luck,

As the song goes........Life is a rollercoaster just got to ride it.........

Back to England for you then. You must be from somewhere nice in England. ( Cumbria, Devon, or somewhere similar ?),

Anyway, all the best.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:35 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I agree, none of us is an expert on someone else's situation or feelings (which is why I replied the way I did to the earlier post).

All we can do is give advice, based on our own experiences/knowledge, and for many of us, the experience of reading 1,000's of posts on BE over the years.

I firmly believe that making the decision to return (to the UK, or ping-pong back to expat land) based on feelings after just 5 weeks, or 5 months, is unwise.

Any time this opinion is expressed on MBTTUK, the response is usually the same - someone will recount their own experience of hating (wherever) after a very short time, sometimes from the second they stepped off the plane. They give it a go for another year, return to the UK, and live happy ever after. So, sometimes these early gut reactions do turn out to be correct (i.e., the person feels the same after a year, or 5 years, or 10 years - or gets on the first plane home and subsequently reports it was the best decision they ever made).

The message "It's too early" to threads like this one is therefore often misinterpreted as meaning "You must be wrong". On the contrary, I think it's entirely possible the OP's early reactions could turn out to be correct. It's just that, from the dozens of posts I have read where initial reactions turn out to completely change, I think making major expensive and personal decisions based on an early dislike to your adopted country is very, very risky. It's like waking up a week after getting married and deciding you don't like your new spouse so you file for divorce. These things need to be given more time, is all I'm saying.
I know Dunroving everyone's experiences are individual and for some people, it just takes time to settle down after the initial culture shock. I wasn't taking exception to your reply at all - you weren't professing to be an expert - you were merely expressing your opinion based on your own experiences - to which you have every entitlement.

I just had to point out to JAJ that no-one can be an expert on other peoples lives - hell we can't even be an expert on our own lives otherwise we wouldn't all be posting on here

Hope all goes well for you too
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its like somebody coming to the UK and living in say Cumbria or North Wales etc (nothing wrong with these places by the way) and after 5 months there saying that they are pissed off with the UK and want to return home. Perhaps had they gone to either London or Manchester etc they may have had a different opinion about the UK.
I think you have these places the wrong way around !
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:43 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
I have an affection for NS but then i am not a city person and wouldn't be able to cope in a metropolis like Taronto
The city of Taronto I`m not too familiar with that But Toronto is a city that I do like very much, even though I would not choose to live in the city itself.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:53 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
I think you have these places the wrong way around !
For me they are the right way around because I am a city person but for many I imagine it would be the opposite. Given that you are a policeman I am sure you would have seen the worst of inner city life.

The point was that the OP has gone to a fairly isolated part of Canada and doesn`t like it, my suggestion was that she should maybe try somewhere more central to activity etc like Toronto and Vancover etc hence the comparison to London and Manchester. But then again if she dislikes city life or being near a large city these places are not going to be of any interest to her.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:03 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

The city of Taronto I`m not too familiar with that But Toronto is a city that I do like very much, even though I would not choose to live in the city itself.
told you I only had one saving grace
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

For me they are the right way around because I am a city person but for many I imagine it would be the opposite. Given that you are a policeman I am sure you would have seen the worst of inner city life.

The point was that the OP has gone to a fairly isolated part of Canada and doesn`t like it, my suggestion was that she should maybe try somewhere more central to activity etc like Toronto and Vancover etc hence the comparison to London and Manchester. But then again if she dislikes city life or being near a large city these places are not going to be of any interest to her.
Noted.

Im a City person really but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds. Live in the sticks a bit but be near enough to the city for when you need it or want it.

I believe there are places in Canada (and uk) where this can be achieved ?

Regards.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:30 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Diggler
Noted.

Im a City person really but it would be nice to have the best of both worlds. Live in the sticks a bit but be near enough to the city for when you need it or want it.

I believe there are places in Canada (and uk) where this can be achieved ?

Regards.
Indeed they can especially in the Uk due to its relatively small size and urban and rural places being quite close together. When I lived in the UK I was a member of a cycling club (road racing) and just going out from South London it was relatively easy due to the road networks to be in the countryside quite quickly which in turn was served by an excellent road network system. So yes city and country life is very much on your doorstep in the UK. In Canada I found access to the countryside not to be as good as the UK and one has to travel much further but I am talking about Toronto here and maybe in other parts of Canada it is different. But once out in the Canadian countryside yes its spectacular.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Didn't come as a surprise more of an enlightenment!
I know what you mean. We can know something, but experiencing it is entirely different. Cold snowy winters can seem romantic to most English people. I remember being thrilled to bits at our first serious snowfall in Nova Scotia. Those big fluffy snowflakes. The quiet that settled once everyone had struggled home. Building huge snowmen. Sledding down long hills.

But it wears off for most of us. Most Canadians born and bred don't like winter and dream of moving to the west coast.

But I happen to think that apart from weather Nova Scotia is one of the best places in Canada, especially Halifax

Bev
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:34 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Decent as in large metropolitan areas with lots to do and see, plenty of opportunities, very cosmopolitan and good links to other countries by air etc You could say hubs of activity. You could mention Toronto in the same breath as either New York or Washington DC. But I suppose if you want small then you wouldn`t like any of these places.
Exactly. Bear in mind that for some of us living in any major city is one step up from hell. Toronto!!!!!!! Quite a few steps closer, IMO, but I don't argue with people who think it's wonderful.

Respect our differences, please, Jules.

Bev
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:42 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Bevm
Exactly. Bear in mind that for some of us living in any major city is one step up from hell. Toronto!!!!!!! Quite a few steps closer, IMO, but I don't argue with people who think it's wonderful.

Respect our differences, please, Jules.

Bev
It wasn`t a criticism of people that like a more small town environment, it was just a suggestion to the OP because she doesn`t like NS and the suggestion was, that she try something more metropolitan than NS. Point also being, that she has gone through the whole process of immigration to think about packing it in just after 5 months, it just seems a waste given that there are something like 900.000 people waiting in a queue to go to Canada If for example she was in Toronto and hated it then the suggestion would have been to go somewhere much smaller.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:57 pm
Just hanging around

If for example she was in Toronto and hated it then the suggestion would have been to go somewhere much smaller.
True, but your suggestions did seem weird to me. Far better to try a move to Halifax, IMO, which is a great small city with lots of good features. Much easier and cheaper than moving to TO or Van, too.

Have you ever spent time in Halifax? Despite your liking for big cities, I think you'd like it quite a bit.

BTW, just a comment about countryside from another of your posts. You're right. It's so different here. No public footpaths through countryside, so country walking is always along roads, often with fast traffic zooming along now and then. Look what happened to Stephen King! (Yes, I know that was the US, but same system.)

You can live in a small country town in some places. Very nice. But still nowhere to walk except along the roads. There are more walking paths, bike paths, and parks in cities

You usually have to go a fair way out of a town to a wilderness park to hike, and that's not the same thing. Can be grand, but it's not the same. We have friends who live on a lot of land in NS -- all rough treed land, not agricultural -- and they built paths all over it. I asked why and they pointed out there was nowhere to walk except roads.

I'm not down on Canada at all. Been here 30 years, after all. But it's very different. People thinking about emigrating here need to grasp that. It's not England with a lot more space.

Bev
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Brrrrrrrr, Brrrrrrrrr, brrrrrrr
Is that phone still ringing?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:18 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
There are situations that no amount of research can prepare you for until you've actually moved to another place, whether it be around the corner or around the world.
There are at least two other threads where people are saying winters can vary a lot from one year to the next. There's even a poster from NS saying this is the worst winter they have experienced.

So even spending a whole winter previously may not have been that useful.

Last winter for me was a real drag. Even when you think you've seen the last of the snowfalls, it's still going to be around for weeks to come on the paths, on the grass, piled high in the parking lots etc.

It can get quite depressing knowing that you may be shovelling again less than 6 months after the last lot.

I never shovelled snow ever in the UK...not in 47 years!!! It's every few days here. I can cope as I have plenty of time and I never have to get up especially early to clear any. If I had to work I would probably feel very differently about it.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 4:12 am
Just Joined

WestLABoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Decent as in large metropolitan areas with lots to do and see, plenty of opportunities, very cosmopolitan and good links to other countries by air etc You could say hubs of activity. You could mention Toronto in the same breath as either New York or Washington DC. But I suppose if you want small then you wouldn`t like any of these places.

Large cities normally serve as the perfect apetizer when discovering new countries, to not know them and what they offer, is often to not really know the country.
Very well explained it Jules. A+
I know more than 20 people that have moved to different countries and they all went straight to live in big cities of their new country. In regards to Canada, I know 4 people that went to live in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Again I think Jules explained it very well as why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.