We Love England!

Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Love England!

Originally Posted by canzoet
You have still not answered my question.
I think I have but one doesn`t need to live in say a particular country to have a fairly accurate opinion about it. Example, I have never lived in Russia but I don`t imagine its a great place to live. Example, I have Canadian friends that know very little of life outside of Ontario, so how well do they know the country where they live?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:05 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Dunroving probably is an expert, considering his own experiences.
Not sure how anyone can be an expert when it comes to other people's lives or feelings. Surely these are unique to that individual

We knew within five weeks that we'd made a massive mistake moving to Oz - we stuck it out for longer but wish we'd listened to our gut instincts and left earlier - we'd have saved ourselves a fortune.

So many people I've spoken to since I returned have said the same thing to me - you don't appreciate just how good the UK is until you've lived somewhere else.

Good luck to the OP - hope it works out well for you.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:07 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Its like somebody coming to the UK and living in say Cumbria or North Wales etc (nothing wrong with these places by the way) and after 5 months there saying that they are pissed off with the UK and want to return home. Perhaps had they gone to either London or Manchester etc they may have had a different opinion about the UK.

I know enough, that if I was living in Canada, I would choose for example either Toronto or Vancouver and I am 99% certain that I would prefer them BOTH to say Halifax. But then again, I could say that I would prefer to live in Halifax to say Saskatoon even though I have been to neither. I would say that I would sooner live in say Prague than in say Moscow etc .................I am sure by now that you catch the drift.
Digging again
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

canzoet is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I have but one doesn`t need to live in say a particular country to have a fairly accurate opinion about it. Example, I have never lived in Russia but I don`t imagine its a great place to live. Example, I have Canadian friends that know very little of life outside of Ontario, so how well do they know the country where they live?
SO you are basically talking out of your backside as you have not lived in Canada.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Hmph! Define "decent" in that context please!
Decent as in large metropolitan areas with lots to do and see, plenty of opportunities, very cosmopolitan and good links to other countries by air etc You could say hubs of activity. You could mention Toronto in the same breath as either New York or Washington DC. But I suppose if you want small then you wouldn`t like any of these places.

Large cities normally serve as the perfect apetizer when discovering new countries, to not know them and what they offer, is often to not really know the country.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Flogger
Digging again
Digging in what context?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

SO you are basically talking out of your backside as you have not lived in Canada.
Take no notice it's only Jules he's mostly harmless
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:18 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I normally don`t but if you insist I won`t argue the point.

Unfortunately, I haven`t lived in Canada but as stated earlier I wouldn`t choose Nova Scotia out of choice.

Do you live in Nova Scotia or have some type of affection for it? It so don`t take my comments too personally, I`ve nothing against it...........Its just it doesn`t tickle my fancy as a place to live, thats all nothing more,
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:18 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Digging in what context?
when in a hole stop.
Hope this helps
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:19 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Take no notice it's only Jules he's mostly harmless
Unless provoked but that`s pretty hard to do.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:20 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Flogger
when in a hole stop.
Hope this helps
You do have a good memory
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:22 pm
no I aint

You do have a good memory
Its my only saving grace
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:42 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

It now seems, that you are not going to answer my question from thread 38 either. It all seems rather tit for tat doesn`t it? Or do you particuarly like the role of the interrorgator rather than the interrorgated?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Not sure how anyone can be an expert when it comes to other people's lives or feelings. Surely these are unique to that individual

We knew within five weeks that we'd made a massive mistake moving to Oz - we stuck it out for longer but wish we'd listened to our gut instincts and left earlier - we'd have saved ourselves a fortune.

So many people I've spoken to since I returned have said the same thing to me - you don't appreciate just how good the UK is until you've lived somewhere else.

Good luck to the OP - hope it works out well for you.

I agree, none of us is an expert on someone else's situation or feelings (which is why I replied the way I did to the earlier post).

All we can do is give advice, based on our own experiences/knowledge, and for many of us, the experience of reading 1,000's of posts on BE over the years.

I firmly believe that making the decision to return (to the UK, or ping-pong back to expat land) based on feelings after just 5 weeks, or 5 months, is unwise.

Any time this opinion is expressed on MBTTUK, the response is usually the same - someone will recount their own experience of hating (wherever) after a very short time, sometimes from the second they stepped off the plane. They give it a go for another year, return to the UK, and live happy ever after. So, sometimes these early gut reactions do turn out to be correct (i.e., the person feels the same after a year, or 5 years, or 10 years - or gets on the first plane home and subsequently reports it was the best decision they ever made).

The message "It's too early" to threads like this one is therefore often misinterpreted as meaning "You must be wrong". On the contrary, I think it's entirely possible the OP's early reactions could turn out to be correct. It's just that, from the dozens of posts I have read where initial reactions turn out to completely change, I think making major expensive and personal decisions based on an early dislike to your adopted country is very, very risky. It's like waking up a week after getting married and deciding you don't like your new spouse so you file for divorce. These things need to be given more time, is all I'm saying.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 9:06 pm
no I aint

It now seems, that you are not going to answer my question from thread 38 either. It all seems rather tit for tat doesn`t it? Or do you particuarly like the role of the interrorgator rather than the interrorgated?
I have an affection for NS but then i am not a city person and wouldn't be able to cope in a metropolis like Taronto

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.