We Love England!

Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We Love England!

Well that thread's given me something to read whilst I sit here at stupid o'clock in the morning not being able to sleep because it's so ******' hot in Adelaide right now!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
That`s 833GBP per month!!!! And you get by on this? That makes your region of Canada cheaper than anywhere that I know of in western europe. Always thought that living costs in Canada were on a par with that of the UK.
That's the point I keep trying to make as a counter to others (the wealthy ones who give kids credit cards to run up $20k a year) who say how everything is expensive. It can be expensive, but it needn't be.

We are mortgage free, so it's been manageable so far and in a couple of years both kids will have left school and (hopefully) be working.
Originally Posted by Tommyboy17
I see what you mean (i think...) and its very relevant to us as already as we are looking at the 'long game'. Looking to buy, we can pay off a huge chunk of the value straight away and have far smaller monthly payments than would have in the UK, so more money left over for everything else (after housing).
Yes, that is exactly it.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

We are mortgage free, so it's been manageable so far and in a couple of years both kids will have left school and (hopefully) be working.

Yes, that is exactly it.
What if they want to go to college?

(Mind you, we lived on less as a family and I've put myself thru uni twice, but in the UK)
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
What if they want to go to college?
One does want to go to Uni. But plenty of others pay for it by loans, p/t jobs, summer jobs etc.

She saw her mum fund herself so she thinks she could too. She's already decided she's going to work for a year to raise money.

I wouldn't be surprised if she decides she likes the freedom that comes with an income.

But despite buying a house and a rental and furnishing the house and living on some more capital for three years until my Civil Service pension kicked in at 50, we still have some capital left over from my UK house sale. And I only came out of that with £123k - Examples of how the £ goes further in Canada

So we should still be able to help with some costs. We won't keep a rental for ever. Sooner or later we'll sell and hopefully enjoy the capital.

That's why we did things the way we did - establishing a manageable income but having the sale of a property to raise capital if needs be and also plenty of scope to downsize the house and raise capital that way. Then my main pension is due at 65.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

One does want to go to Uni. But plenty of others pay for it by loans, p/t jobs, summer jobs etc.

She saw her mum fund herself so she thinks she could too. She's already decided she's going to work for a year to raise money.

I wouldn't be surprised if she decides she likes the freedom that comes with an income.
I did that too, not a swanning about year out but a save every penny one...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Or you can sell your ropey old 2 bed, UK terraced house and use the 80% equity to buy a four bedroomed detached house and a duplex in a decent sized city and still have money left over. Then live off the rent money without having to work for a living.

Mine aren't.
Canada - 4 bed detached house with big garden, air conditioning, garage, driveway = $2000 pa. About £1100

Bristol - My old 2 bed terraced home, no garage, no drive, tiny kitchen, small garden. = currently £1152.

So not only cheaper for something 3 or 4 times as good, it pays for masses of snow clearing too. Imagine how much cheaper if there was no snow to move.

Rents in many areas may be a fraction of UK rents.

My duplex. Large 2-bed apartment with balcony, attic and parking = £347 a month. Large 1-bed apartment with deck, basement and parking = $295 a month. It's one of the more expensive rentals too. 1-bed apartments are available for £250 a month inclusive of all amenities (heating, lighting etc).
But in many other areas of the UK they are way cheaper. For instance rents in Vancouver in Canada are way more expensive than Newcastle in England. You need to compare like with like to get a true idea. We will be moving to the Cotswolds close to Oxford and are looking at paying a lot less rent than our condo in Montreal.

Property taxes in Montreal are on a par to the UK when converting from pounds to dollars but are a lot higher when taking into account low Quebec salaries
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

But despite buying a house and a rental and furnishing the house and living on some more capital for three years until my Civil Service pension kicked in at 50, we still have some capital left over from my UK house sale. And I only came out of that with £123k - Examples of how the £ goes further in Canada

So we should still be able to help with some costs. We won't keep a rental for ever. Sooner or later we'll sell and hopefully enjoy the capital.

That's why we did things the way we did - establishing a manageable income but having the sale of a property to raise capital if needs be and also plenty of scope to downsize the house and raise capital that way. Then my main pension is due at 65.
Glad to hear it, and good for her. My brother and I worked part-time all the way through undergraduate, and no-one paid for my 6 years of postgrad but me. A heck of a lot of the students I taught in the States were paying their own way too (maybe taking out goverment loans as part of it, but then the idea of a loan is you pay it back, it's not a handout).

I think for those students, the experience of working their way through college was as much of an education (in life) as taking classes.

In Scotland, students don't have to pay any fees, and I think that's a mistake. Too many of them look at an undergraduate education as a right rather than a privilege.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
But in many other areas of the UK they are way cheaper. For instance rents in Vancouver in Canada are way more expensive than Newcastle in England.
Sure...but my post was responding to the sweeping statement that "Property taxes are higher (in Canada) than the UK."

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
You need to compare like with like to get a true idea. We will be moving to the Cotswolds close to Oxford and are looking at paying a lot less rent than our condo in Montreal.
Under normal circumstances I would agree with comparing like with like. But these forums are all about living in other countries. Whether someone has identified another country to move to or they just "want out", it is not actually necessary to find or compare like with like....it could be just find somewhere affordable and good enough.

(Edited to add - for example, Moncton may not have the entertainment options of Bristol - although it has some different ones - but it's far cheaper to live here and more than good enough.)

As for like with like, you're a bit off in comparing renting a Condo in Montreal with life the Cotswolds aren't you?

Last edited by BristolUK; Jan 13th 2009 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:18 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Under normal circumstances I would agree with comparing like with like. But these forums are all about living in other countries. Whether someone has identified another country to move to or they just "want out", it is not actually necessary to find or compare like with like....it could be just find somewhere affordable and good enough.
Interesting point. I tend to look at it the other way. All countries are so variable, so when making that huge decision to move to another country we have to be specific about where.

For example, I suspect you could have sold your Bristol house and done a similar financial swap -- which I think is brilliant, BTW, if you like where you are -- in other parts of the UK. Not sure exactly where's the cheapest decent place in the UK, but probably Moncton is one of the cheapest pleasant urban spots in Canada.

As best I can tell, the poverty line cut off in Canada for a city the size of Moncton and a four person family is $33,000 pa, so you are living frugally! Not a bad thing. We're frugal, too. But again, to imply to someone from the UK that they could move to Moncton -- or Canada! -- and live well on your income is stretching it.

Poked around a bit more.
For 2005
Median income for Canada, about $56,000
For NB $45,000
Most expensive -- Alberta, at $65,000
From here

So we have to choose not just a country, but where. In reverse, too. We're planning to go to the Devon coast, which is as lovely and as expensive as where we are now. There are plenty of places in the UK we wouldn't go back to, including all the ones not on the coast.

Bev
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:32 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Bevm
I suspect you could have sold your Bristol house and done a similar financial swap -- which I think is brilliant, BTW, if you like where you are -- in other parts of the UK.

As best I can tell, the poverty line cut off in Canada for a city the size of Moncton and a four person family is $33,000 pa, so you are living frugally! Not a bad thing. We're frugal, too. But again, to imply to someone from the UK that they could move to Moncton -- or Canada! -- and live well on your income is stretching it.
I'm sure I could have swapped a home in Bristol with somewhere else, but I would still have needed to work for a living. Moving here has enabled me to retire. All the more remarkable that my income here is only marginally more for four of us than I had for just me back in the UK.

My reason for being in Canada is because I met a Canadian woman and married. But for that I'd probably still be in Bristol, where I was perfectly happy BTW, although I had been planning early retirement and a move to Spain about now.

The thing about poverty levels is it means different things to different people. We run a 4 bedroom home, we have two TVs, 2 DVD players, 3 computers (2 on the net). We all have winter clothing and we have no problem paying bills. That's not poverty. Not even frugal.

Also it usually has links to 'average' earnings which are often distorted anyway. Last time I looked, so called 'average' wage levels in the UK were far higher than most people earn. That's just silly. The 'average' that should be used in this context is the 'mode' average....the most common one.

It's also important to remember we are mortgage free. Our $18k income without a mortgage is the same as $30k with mortgage payments of $1k a month.

I haven't said this on this thread but I do on other threads....I was a low paid Civil Servant. My pension is based on final earnings. So that means it's lower than many others would be. I also left work early and took my pension early. That means it was even lower again.

Most people moving to Canada do so with with much higher job skills and higher salary demands. They've already been paid higher incomes in the UK than I had and very probably had higher value property than I had. If they are in their 40s like I was they are probably not far away from much higher pensions than mine.

It's not so much telling people they can live well on our income, it's showing that if I can achieve a manageable level of income (in retirement!!) for four (and have good assets) using the equity in a modest UK home in one of the cheapest areas in Bristol and a crap pension, then many, many more, highly skilled, highly qualified people with greater resources should be able to do even better.....especially if they'll have a salary.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:36 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sim2point4
Have delayed posting this, will get a barrage of "you haven't given it long enough", as have only been in Nova Scotia, Canada for under 5 months, but have realised quite quickly that we want to go home, lots of reasons why, bloody cold climate being one of them, know that England is in a recession right now, but we went through the last early nineties one and survived, have put canadian house on market and will come home asap!
Good for you. Best of luck with the move back. We left after 4 months.

Actually, you'll get a decent exchange rate now for your CAD$ that you are making in the house sale!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:03 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - no time to read all the replies, got to page 4 and realized I was wasting valuable life and getting nowhere aside from seeing members bicker over detail.

I came to this thread as I was looking at the Canniversary board, thinking of posting something as we have been here in NS one year tomorrow and it has been a great year. Nothing exceptional has happened, above and beyond the ordinary, infact someone else might say it has been a tremendously stressful time with exams and jobs not entirely to our liking. However we know it is home and I know very well why - because we have emigrated before and it was hell. However that said, we stuck it out and made the best of it for 4 years, and that was in New Zealand.

I think you need to do what is right for you, please believe me when I say that. But having made the move twice I understand the waste of money that is incurred, not to mention the upheaval on kids and schooling. Personally, I am so impressed with education here, I wouldnt want to leave because of that alone.

On the one hand, you waited for years for PR (I think thats right?), but you seemed poorly prepared for what NS would offer you that now you want to leave. Secondary to that, there are seemingly a load of fab reasons to return to the UK..........so why didnt those things keep you there in the first place? Moving now, between the UK to here and back again, and in THIS universal recession........what a loss of money.

So my point is - will you be happy in the UK? Something prompted the big move to NS, and after a matter of months you ping pong back to the UK. Will you be happy? I hope so, but I would think it through hard.

You came at the wrong time of year to my mind, if you were to stay until the spring and summer (even if you have holidayed before at those times here) I think it would make you feel better. That said, nothing could have made NZ better for me, and the reason why was buying a house that made us permanently broke. We had no quality of life, we had a high mortgage and constant renovations to pay for and do ourselves - it was hell. NZ was also not for us, it is too poor and backwaterish, I dont like standing out as being different, which all foreigners do there, and the backlash that comes wth that - there is nothing like that here, people are glad to have us.

So I wish you well, but it sounds to me that there are deeper issues here and I hope you dont go to the UK and ping ping off somewhere else. Some good friends of ours have done just this. They left NZ when we did after 4 years, went to the UK and hated every bit of it, left recently after less than a year, went to Oz and after no more than 3 months are going back to NZ. So think it through and avoid knee jerk reactions tht are costly when you may regret them later. A move to another part of NZ would have saved my friends 2 moves and all that involves with 2 small children.

Hope it goes well for you guys and you have found the right choice
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

That said, nothing could have made NZ better for me, and the reason why was buying a house that made us permanently broke. We had no quality of life, we had a high mortgage and constant renovations to pay for and do ourselves - it was hell. NZ was also not for us, it is too poor and backwaterish, I dont like standing out as being different, which all foreigners do there, and the backlash that comes wth that -
So let me get this straight, you're accusing one person of not doing enough research on Canada, but yet seemingly made the same mistake yourself in NZ?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
So let me get this straight, you're accusing one person of not doing enough research on Canada, but yet seemingly made the same mistake yourself in NZ?
But Poppy stayed in NZ for 4 years, not 4 months.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 10:56 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
No I didnt make any mistake - I said that I didnt enjoy NZ and it wasnt for us, but we lived, worked and raised our children there for 4 years. We can say to anyone that we lived in NZ for a significant amount of time and as such, we can definately own an opinion about the place. Also, we would all rather have tht as our back story and something for our kids to remember and be proud of, than we stuck it out in the UK and had absolutely no adventure.

A mistake is not understanding that immigration is a process and therefore not necessarily going to be all your heart's desires. Its no movie, its real life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.