Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

We leave Auckland for UK in 4 weeks after 20 years.

We leave Auckland for UK in 4 weeks after 20 years.

Old Jul 1st 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold
Default We leave Auckland for UK in 4 weeks after 20 years.

Yes well, it's all done house sold, cars sold, dog booked, movers booked and we have no clue where we will end up...lol ...that's a nervous laugh ....We have family in Scotland and North East, so we will stay up and around there for a spell and we thought we would look around the south coast. When we came to NZ in our 30s we just jumped on the plane without a second thought with nowt more than suit case. Going back dragging your life with you at 50 is quite daunting.
NZ has been very good to us and we will miss it, but it's odd how family pulls you as you get older, we have been lucky enough to holiday back in the UK most years but I know living there is another story. Thank god for Trademe and garage sales. Anyone know a good hotel near Heathrow where we can overnight while we wait for our dog?
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

vetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond reputevetnurse1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We leave Auckland for UK in 4 weeks after 20 years.

Wow! 20 years! Daunting but exciting too. Another chapter begins! I wish you all the best and I would love it if you could post some updates of your impending travel and your first months back 'home'. We hope to be doing the same within 8 weeks, and we haven't even started yet.
Best of luck!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 1:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey ! I'm open mouthed - something like this really

That might be our story but without a dog in a couple of years time.

A good hotel near Heathrow ? Just pick one. I can't remember where we stayed before we went on a holiday to America from LHR once but it was one where you left your car in the car park and got the airport shuttle to the departing terminal. That was no use at all was it ?

Good luck. I will be following your path one day via Trade Me, garage sales, notice board at the supermarket, Auto Trader etc etc.

I'm not expecting it to be easy.......
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

kiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to beholdkiwibrit101 is a splendid one to behold

It's easier than I thought in many ways, it's quite cathartic chucking out all that stuff you hang to, not to mention the stuff you thought you lost!,.... I do have a feeling the hard bit is yet to come� ����
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 7:50 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

WOW - I wish you well. As over 50's this will be us within the next 12-18 months. We're not sure where we will end up either, but hoping back to Scotland Good luck and look forward to more updates as you make the move.
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you on your move. I moved back with my dog about 7 weeks ago after 18 years in the US. Definitely was easier when I was in my 20's and jumped not he plane with one suitcase. Hope your move goes as smoothly as mine did. The weather is beautiful int he UK right now so you have picked a good time to arrive. Keep us posted on how things go!