Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

WE ARE HOME SWEET HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE ARE HOME SWEET HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 9th 2008, 12:45 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WE ARE HOME SWEET HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by alliekate
We finally made it from Townsville back to the UK last week , complete with my dog on the same flight. No Dramas (I was sedated)

Our house sale crashed FOUR times, and we went thru hell. Grace removals were fab.

The sun is shining here (I bought a job lot of jumpers at Tesco but have had to break into my Ozzie gear), the birds are singing, the countryside is GREEN, people are normal and smiling (to me).........

I am down on my knees with gratitude. Ok The Parents are being arseholes, but do we care ? We have not bought a house yet - so what ????

People wear SHOES, drive (almost) sanely, the supermarkets are very sedate, people use pushchairs, but best of all - THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED PUB !!!!!!!!!!!! And cider of course.

If you want to go home, and are going thru the misery that we went thru, I hope this message helps.

Good luck to all returnees!!!!

AK xxxx
What a lovely post - it's great that you are so happy to be home.

I've been back for over 12 months now and can honestly say that those feelings of sheer elation, relief and gratitude at being home don't go away. Every day is a good day so enjoy
Old May 9th 2008, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: WE ARE HOME SWEET HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes even the M25 has become a huge improvement over the Bruce Highway (aka The Death Road) . And boy do I laugh when my dad complains about potholes !!!!!

The utes have been exchanged for white van man, the ladies that lunch are out in force, and GUESS WHAT !!!!!!!!

We woke up and it was RAINING so I thought I had my chance but no, the sun broke out and I had to go to H and M and buy a T shirt while out shopping............ WHS, Superdrug, Boots,The Works, they are all still there. And Weatherspoons where you can get a burger, chips and a pint for £4.95.

So I still have virgin wellies, severe jetlag, a dog that does not know when to pee or eat (up at all hours), but honestly, when you belong you belong.

Will try and post a pic of my wellies. But you know what - I cannot WAIT for winter now - bring it on !!!

Much love AK xx
Old May 9th 2008, 8:32 pm

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point

We finally made it from Townsville back to the UK last week , complete with my dog on the same flight. No Dramas (I was sedated)

Our house sale crashed FOUR times, and we went thru hell. Grace removals were fab.

The sun is shining here (I bought a job lot of jumpers at Tesco but have had to break into my Ozzie gear), the birds are singing, the countryside is GREEN, people are normal and smiling (to me).........

I am down on my knees with gratitude. Ok The Parents are being arseholes, but do we care ? We have not bought a house yet - so what ????

People wear SHOES, drive (almost) sanely, the supermarkets are very sedate, people use pushchairs, but best of all - THE GOOD OLD FASHIONED PUB !!!!!!!!!!!! And cider of course.

If you want to go home, and are going thru the misery that we went thru, I hope this message helps.

AK xxxx
Glad you got home,could you give me details of journey,which plane,why you had to change 3 times etc,was the company you chose better than the others,we are going this year,dog 12,cats 18 and diabetic cat aged 7,worried silly about getting them home,have sent you a pm,
please give me all the advice,
good luck to you Thanks
Old May 9th 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: WE ARE HOME SWEET HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Jean,

Have sent you 2 messages cos I get confused myself. Basically if the animal does not have a passport, you need to get it rabies jabbed in Oz, (which can take time to track down the vaccine) , then blood tested one month later - if all is clear, they can return home quarantine free in six months.

That is a very very basic guide, you need to check out DEFRA.

On the way home, our dog had to be "AQIS checked, wormed, deflead and security sealed" - they only do this at major international airports, hence out trek from Townsville to Brissie, to have this done.

Let me know if you need further info, I know it is a very hard thing to have to do (understatement in my case).

But with the right knowledge, and a good pet firm, you can do it.

A xx
Old May 9th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

HI AK

Thanks so much for your wonderful happy posts. I know how difficult it was for you and your OH over here. Well at least you are home and that gives me hope that we can get there too.

best of British

NIcola
Old May 9th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Parents/in-laws are funny aren't they. As soon as you move in with them, temporarily, the terror sets in and I think they think you'll never leave!!
Old May 10th 2008, 7:14 pm

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point

AK xxxx
Have just read your previous threads,so upset about the dog.what else would you expect out here,I have broke my heart so many times over the treatment of animals.I have made the farm into a wildlife reserve,the new housing estates left the kangaroos homeless now they are going to destroy the last koala habitat .
I feel for you,you are really decent,thank God you got the other dog home,I have that journey to look forward to with my pets.
Thanks for replying to me and good luck to you
Old May 10th 2008, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

AK xxxx

Hi, just read your other threads, So sorry about your other dog, and fully agree with everything you wrote, Glad your dog is doing fine and got a good flight, I do belive you can get wellies for dogs now, , I have a maltase shitsu and i would put her in some pick ones, to match her pink fur hooded coat. ( hubby does not take her for walks )
I am so jealous to here of you at H&M and boots and etc. If only.
Good Luck.....
Old May 10th 2008, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Isnt it odd when you find yourself walking/driving along smiling? I do that when I get home every time. I can be happily stuck in a traffic jam on the A14 or M25 and notice that there is this insane grin on my face. People around me must think I am absolutely nuts! I do it on the Tube too - now that must really scare the other passengers, especially when I am in transit with a huge backpack!!!!!
I do it on the bus, when I'm not crying with joy at bluebells, lambs, blackbirds, etc etc etc. I swear people think I'm a bit doolally. Glad to see that this isn't an uncommon occurrence. Maybe everyone here should leave for a while so they can appreciate it when they come back.
Old May 12th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

AK xxxx
Thanks for the good news....it's always lovely to hear nice things about the U.K.....really happy that you and your "family" arrived safely.....our home is on the market this week so hoepfully I will be sending a thread like yours soon!!!! (fingers crossed) cannot wait to see these pink wellies!!!....have a Cider on me!!! with a packet of Walkers Cheese and Onion Crisps!!! I would just return home for them!!!

Good luck and the very best of wshes to you all.........
Old May 14th 2008, 3:28 am

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

You sound so much happier than you used to. Good luck to you.