Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

We are finally back in the UK

We are finally back in the UK

Old Nov 20th 2016, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are finally back in the UK

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We organized a rental house before we got back, signed the lease the day after we arrived. We had started the lease two weeks before so on arrival we already a letter from the utility company in our name at that address.
Yes should have done the same. Hard even to have location to get mail. But they do have Black Pudding and Yorkshire Pudding, great cider and the river Wansbeck.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 5:17 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth

Bank account huge challenge to be sure. Three said no without lease or utility bill, but fourth agreed to meet with me to discuss.

Phones are great here in my opinion. And so is the Yorkshire Pudding.
Yup I opened a bank account, needed my new driving licence and a utility bill. She scheduled the initial setup meeting for one hour - and we really did need that entire hour (mind you she was a sweet Spanish lady, I think I got her entire recent medical travails & her sister who lives in Ft. Lauderdale etc...) But part of it was, since I'm an American person, all the extra British and U.S. compliance forms I had to complete. Just for a current account!

Yorkshire puds are one of my weaknesses. I buy the Tesco Finest frozen yorkshires, eat a couple of them as a late night snack fairly frequently.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yup I opened a bank account, needed my new driving licence and a utility bill. She scheduled the initial setup meeting for one hour - and we really did need that entire hour (mind you she was a sweet Spanish lady, I think I got her entire recent medical travails & her sister who lives in Ft. Lauderdale etc...) But part of it was, since I'm an American person, all the extra British and U.S. compliance forms I had to complete. Just for a current account!

Yorkshire puds are one of my weaknesses. I buy the Tesco Finest frozen yorkshires, eat a couple of them as a late night snack fairly frequently.
What a nightmare ! No address no bank account. No bank account hard to transfer money, and anything that requires standing order is out the window.

I even missed Black Pudding. The draft Cider is great ! There is even a posh coffee shop in the centre.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robin1234

US compliance forms ridiculous. To open a current account they ask what tax jurisdiction you were in, then computer requests social security number !
Old Nov 21st 2016, 4:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Yes should have done the same. Hard even to have location to get mail. But they do have Black Pudding and Yorkshire Pudding, great cider and the river Wansbeck.
Welcome home morpeth. We often walk along the lovely Wansbeck where it runs through your username.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Welcome home morpeth. We often walk along the lovely Wansbeck where it runs through your username.
Many Swans up there ? I was astounded on one area where before maybe one would find two of three Swans, there were over 20. They have lost fear of humans, and as I sat having morning coffee came up and surrounded me.

Quit interesting after a few years. Ashington has a posh coffee shop, never though to see that.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

spideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nice

hey morpeth we will be heading back to the UK in a month can I ask which bank you opened your account with and has anyone got any suggestions to open bank accounts, I thought Halifax was supposed to be good but the person on the phone at Halifax then advised me that you need to be living in the Uk for a year before you can open an account with them
Old Nov 25th 2016, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spideyo
hey morpeth we will be heading back to the UK in a month can I ask which bank you opened your account with and has anyone got any suggestions to open bank accounts, I thought Halifax was supposed to be good but the person on the phone at Halifax then advised me that you need to be living in the Uk for a year before you can open an account with them
It seems the key is whether you can show a residential address , a real big factor. Actually post office seems easier than banks. Still waiting for some approvals but best advice I could give is rent from private landlord a room on a six month lease of some sort unless you wish to pay for a flat in advance. There is a company called APS that offers a prepaid card that has a sort code and account number. So getting an address and phone number , then signing up for electoral roll and getting an APS card seems first steps from what a few people told me.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 4:27 am
Just Joined

spideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nicespideyo is just really nice

cheers really good advice
Old Nov 26th 2016, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spideyo
cheers really good advice
The other issue is if you have been tax resident in America as that generates more paperwork at the banks for opening an account.