We bought our tickets!

Old May 12th 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough
Default We bought our tickets!

Well, here we are. After about 2 years of "should we/shouldn't we?" conversations, we've sold our house in Texas (close on June 9), got my hubby's visa, opened a bank account with HSBC so we can transfer our funds as soon as we're in the country, I've given notice at work, and we've bought one-way tickets back to the UK (travelling June 20).

In the meantime, trying to clear out my house. How did we *accrue* so much stuff in just 5 years in this house?

I've been gone over 10 years and am bringing my US hubby and our 2 kids with me. Am torn between being terrified (we've no jobs to go to) and excited. Am definitely nervous about how much things will doubtless have changed while I was gone.

What was the biggest shock in terms of practical matters for those of you who have made the move? For example, I just realized that as I have zero credit rating there now (I just pulled my report) I won't be able to get so much as a cell phone contract. Our credit rating in the US is beyond excellent but it'll count for nothing *sigh*. What else have I no yet thought of, please?!
Old May 12th 2014, 1:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We bought our tickets!

Well done it's all go for your family.
Old May 12th 2014, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

ncoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nicencoomber is just really nice

Hi H,
I am sure there are a thousand things you (we) have not thought off. I am in the same boat as you. 27yrs in the US. Heading back 15july with USC wife and three young kids. Just getting ready to put our VA house on the market. Packing. Lots to do. We have already thrown or given away a tonne of stuff. We have close to 100 boxes already packed. Not taking much furniture - it is old and not worth it. Like you we have no jobs lined up in the UK. That and getting the kids enrolled in schools will be priority one once we land. But there will be loads of issues I am sure. We just will have to get through them one by one. Wish you luck.
Cheers
Nigel
Old May 12th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, all systems go! It seems as if there are quite a few BE peeps heading back this summer.

What part of the country will you be going to? Is it somewhere you lived before or are you picking somewhere new?

I'm not sure but I thought I read somewhere that HSBC will use your US credit score? Not that it helps with a cell phone contract.

Good luck with everything and please keep posting to let us know how things progress.
Old May 12th 2014, 9:18 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Lots of us in the same boat helendha-Moving back after many years away with no job or place to live-Me and my 12 year old son also booked our one way flights this past week, our date of departure is August 6th-Sooooooo much to do but remember the pot of gold that is at the end of the rainbow-good luck.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!! Heading back on Friday myself with no credit, no house, no care, no job....... But everything will fall into place! Just stay positive!
Old May 13th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Can I join this thread
Moving back on June 23rd after 11 years here. Also no house, jobs or schools for our 3 kids. Nice to know there are others in the same boat. It will be interesting to see how it pans out for us all.
Old May 15th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by NiHao
What part of the country will you be going to? Is it somewhere you lived before or are you picking somewhere new?

Hello! We will be heading to Lincoln in the first instance as that's where my parents are. But long-term, we'll go wherever we can get work.
Old May 20th 2014, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know I also didn't have a credit rating when we moved back but I managed to get a cell phone and cable Good luck!!!
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britwhore
Just to let you know I also didn't have a credit rating when we moved back but I managed to get a cell phone and cable Good luck!!!
May I ask what cell phone service you got?
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yay you

May I ask who you booked the one way flights with?
Old May 23rd 2014, 11:21 am
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Yay you

May I ask who you booked the one way flights with?
Icelandair $530 each.
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by r0briley
Icelandair $530 each.

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

We booked 1 way tickets with Air Transat. Could have had all our goods on the same flight for about the same price as shipping too!
Old May 23rd 2014, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

I'm moving back too, on 17th June, not far off at all, excited but scared also. I'm moving to Bath with my two teen boys, 17 & 19. I opened an HSBC account in the UK from Canada, it was quite easy to do. I also relocated my NIN from years ago, I just phoned them up, printed off and filled in the form they required and they mailed it to me. Still waiting for our UK passports to arrive though, that's the kicker, I hope they're here in time! The most difficult thing so far is finding a rental, not that there aren't any suitable places, but you have to be in the country to view it etc, I'm short term renting a place from airbnb, a great website that private homeowners rent out their properties whilst they're abroad themselves etc. I found a great place for a little while until I find a permanent place to rent. If anyone out there knows of someone who rents places out in Bath please let me know. Cheers.

I also don't have a job lined up yet, but hoping I'll find one soon enough. I'm a teacher, I'm also waiting for my equivalency certificate or whatever it is then send to me from Naric, they are the governing body in the UK that evaluate overseas credentials.

Im not taking any furniture, being selling loads of stuff on kijiji and craigslist which has been very fruitful. My car is next to go but still need it for a week or so more.

This move is much needed, a fresh start beckons, does anyone live in Bath on here? If anyone has more info for me about things I may have forgotten to do etc, please let me know, thanks again, Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.