Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

We are Australian Citizens

Wikiposts

We are Australian Citizens

Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:46 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are Australian Citizens

Just had a quick read of this thread and others in the past and it surprises me the amount of Brits that hate living in Oz. When I read the NZ forum a lot of people there slag off NZ and hate the place and give valid reasons, I know a couple of NZ`ers and so the negatives all seem to ring true. But in the case of OZ have yet to see some really good reasons without going through numerous back threads on BE. I also know or have known a lot of people that have emigrated to OZ and really love the place (all nationalities here including Brits) and would never go back to their own country. I myself spent nearly 6 months in Perth and thought it was a great place to live etc. The only reason I wouldn`t live in OZ is because of the hot climate which I hate but apart from that would definately choose to live there. What I am trying to get at here is why so many Brits in this instance hate the place? What is so bad about it, is it work? or a myriad of other reasons?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Hi Jules

I have decided that I no longer have to explain to anyone why I don't like Oz.

"I don't like peas" !!! how can I explain that to someone who likes or even loves them..

It just doesn't cut it for some people, my OH and I are 2 people who have travelled around the world and we just don't like what we see here.

I am not going to start slagging off Australia, I said this in my first post and believe me it has all been said before and I agree with almost everything written by other posters leaving Oz.

If my OH and I were to compare what we have here people would think we were idiots to leave, but it's not about a great job, great salary, great house etc... It's about not feeling like we belong.

I don't expect Australia to change for me and unfortunately I am not willing to change my lifestyle to fit into Australia, so it's a no brainer to stay here.

I can't tell you the amount of patients I speak to in hospital every day from all over the world but mostly Europeans who say they wished they had gone home years ago but now can't because of the grandchildren.

Some of these people have sat in my room and cried at how unhappy they are. I don't question them I just try and point out the good things they have like family etc. here in Oz.

Believe me I don't want to be one of those people in 40 years time.

I have the opportunity to go home. I have worked solidly and so has my OH since arriving in Oz. We are very fortunate to be going home better off than we came.

In hindsight would we have come to Australia had we seen in a crystal ball what it would have been like, ABSOLUTELY NOT..

And we are the fortunate ones no money worries, great health, we have never struggled in Australia with renting etc.. in fact got everything we wanted on a plate (had to deal with some very stupid people over here though) Yes I know we get them in the UK but at least you can speak to a manager there and get some sense.

If you read this forum in 50 years time you will get people who love Oz and people who hate it.

I never ask people who love it what they love about it, because I just wouldn't get it. Just as they don't get what I dislike about it so much.

I appreciate that you had 6 months in Perth, I enjoyed a 2 week holiday there and would probably have coped with another week (no disrespect to People in Perth) but that would have been it..

My OH and I have decided that we thrive better on a more stressful way of life doing whatever we want when ever we like, we can't do that here.

I wish lots of luck and good wishes to all the people leaving Oz and I wish the same to all the people staying.

Let's hope where ever we all decide to live, we live a long and fulfilled life, feeling happy with the decisions we make.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Just had a quick read of this thread and others in the past and it surprises me the amount of Brits that hate living in Oz. When I read the NZ forum a lot of people there slag off NZ and hate the place and give valid reasons, I know a couple of NZ`ers and so the negatives all seem to ring true. But in the case of OZ have yet to see some really good reasons without going through numerous back threads on BE. I also know or have known a lot of people that have emigrated to OZ and really love the place (all nationalities here including Brits) and would never go back to their own country. I myself spent nearly 6 months in Perth and thought it was a great place to live etc. The only reason I wouldn`t live in OZ is because of the hot climate which I hate but apart from that would definately choose to live there. What I am trying to get at here is why so many Brits in this instance hate the place? What is so bad about it, is it work? or a myriad of other reasons?

Jules, hate can be a strong word at times. How about 'prefer'.

Most of us prefer the UK to OZ. Simple as that.

When we get back to UK i'm dreading having to explain why we returned over and over again. I think i'll write it on a piece of paper and show them that instead
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:00 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadieb
Hi Jules

I have decided that I no longer have to explain to anyone why I don't like Oz.

"I don't like peas" !!! how can I explain that to someone who likes or even loves them..

It just doesn't cut it for some people, my OH and I are 2 people who have travelled around the world and we just don't like what we see here.

I am not going to start slagging off Australia, I said this in my first post and believe me it has all been said before and I agree with almost everything written by other posters leaving Oz.

If my OH and I were to compare what we have here people would think we were idiots to leave, but it's not about a great job, great salary, great house etc... It's about not feeling like we belong.

I don't expect Australia to change for me and unfortunately I am not willing to change my lifestyle to fit into Australia, so it's a no brainer to stay here.

I can't tell you the amount of patients I speak to in hospital every day from all over the world but mostly Europeans who say they wished they had gone home years ago but now can't because of the grandchildren.

Some of these people have sat in my room and cried at how unhappy they are. I don't question them I just try and point out the good things they have like family etc. here in Oz.

Believe me I don't want to be one of those people in 40 years time.

I have the opportunity to go home. I have worked solidly and so has my OH since arriving in Oz. We are very fortunate to be going home better off than we came.

In hindsight would we have come to Australia had we seen in a crystal ball what it would have been like, ABSOLUTELY NOT..

And we are the fortunate ones no money worries, great health, we have never struggled in Australia with renting etc.. in fact got everything we wanted on a plate (had to deal with some very stupid people over here though) Yes I know we get them in the UK but at least you can speak to a manager there and get some sense.

If you read this forum in 50 years time you will get people who love Oz and people who hate it.

I never ask people who love it what they love about it, because I just wouldn't get it. Just as they don't get what I dislike about it so much.

I appreciate that you had 6 months in Perth, I enjoyed a 2 week holiday there and would probably have coped with another week (no disrespect to People in Perth) but that would have been it..

My OH and I have decided that we thrive better on a more stressful way of life doing whatever we want when ever we like, we can't do that here.

I wish lots of luck and good wishes to all the people leaving Oz and I wish the same to all the people staying.

Let's hope where ever we all decide to live, we live a long and fulfilled life, feeling happy with the decisions we make.
By the way I hate peas as well So that`s a good analogy but on the other hand I couldn`t really tell you why I don`t like them either. But I eat them because I believe they are good for me...........so maybe there is some sort of other analogy in that as well

I think in my case, I am one of these people that can adapt to live in most places if I am economically viable and can do the things that I enjoy doing. so whether I was in Aus, UK or America etc I would settle pretty quickly and have no real problems. I appreciate though, that for many to be far away from family or friends is a big issue. For example there are a lot of Brits that live here in Spain and settle very quickly here despite language and cultural differences which they don`t have for example in a country like Australia. BUT the big difference is, that when they are here they can return to the UK so easily flights to almost anywhere in the UK for between just 10-100 euros return and just 1-2 hours flying time etc so one could return nearly every month no problem.............so the feeling of being so far away is not really an issue.

Or is there an Aussie/Brit issue which I know exists but if this is the case it seems kind of illogical, given that a country like Aus is built up on immigration with people coming from everywhere?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:08 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Jules, hate can be a strong word at times. How about 'prefer'.

Most of us prefer the UK to OZ. Simple as that.

When we get back to UK i'm dreading having to explain why we returned over and over again. I think i'll write it on a piece of paper and show them that instead
I would imagine that prefer is a better word than hate anyway. Another point of issue, is that those people that return to the UK from Aus but then realize that they made a mistake in returning to the UK, because the UK they may have left will probably not be the same one they are returning to, especially people that have been in Aus for a long time.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

I would imagine that prefer is a better word than hate anyway. Another point of issue, is that those people that return to the UK from Aus but then realize that they made a mistake in returning to the UK, because the UK they may have left will probably not be the same one they are returning to, especially people that have been in Aus for a long time.
Yep, that could be me. Unfortunately i will never know unless i go back. It's the price we pay for emigrating in the first place.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Yep, that could be me. Unfortunately i will never know unless i go back. It's the price we pay for emigrating in the first place.
Where did you live in the UK in the first place? Where do you live in OZ? And where are you returning to in the UK?

I Sound like an immigration officer here
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Where did you live in the UK in the first place? Where do you live in OZ? And where are you returning to in the UK?

I Sound like an immigration officer here
Yes sir, no sir!

erm, lived in Yorkshire UK, now in Perth. Back to Yorkshire hopefully for good, unless i get itchy feet arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:48 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Yes sir, no sir!

erm, lived in Yorkshire UK, now in Perth. Back to Yorkshire hopefully for good, unless i get itchy feet arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Certainly is a drastic change Yorkshire after Perth and you may well get itchy feet, because a lot of the Brits that I have met on worldly travels, quite often originate from Yorkshire..........Gives me the impression, that they like the adventure of living overseas etc (yet to meet a generous one when it comes to money though
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
but surely if you HATE the place so much u cant wait to leave...why on earth would you want to waste your money and time going back there for a holiday?????
How about just because we can .No different to asking the question why leave the uk? the reason is just because we/you can .The issues behind it all mean nothing as they are the same the world over ie cost of living ,crime ,migrants blah blah blah .
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

Certainly is a drastic change Yorkshire after Perth and you may well get itchy feet, because a lot of the Brits that I have met on worldly travels, quite often originate from Yorkshire..........Gives me the impression, that they like the adventure of living overseas etc (yet to meet a generous one when it comes to money though
I'm generous, i love spending money lol...

Anyway, where are you from? where are you heading? or where are you staying?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:58 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 6 months in perth ,well you probably got round most of the tourist attractions by that time .
Next comes the souless barbies in the souless suburbs with the stepford wives ,all talking about their husbands small penis size .
They are a transparent lot here in perth and ofcourse that is a generalisation but its no differnt to the generalisation of poms being whingers ,where infact they speak as they find .
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by king kong
Nearly 6 months in perth ,well you probably got round most of the tourist attractions by that time .
Next comes the souless barbies in the souless suburbs with the stepford wives ,all talking about their husbands small penis size .
They are a transparent lot here in perth and ofcourse that is a generalisation but its no differnt to the generalisation of poms being whingers ,where infact they speak as they find .
Hahahahha, i somehow loved this honest post, so truthful
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

QUOTE=Nu-Shooz;6995931]I'm generous, i love spending money lol...

Anyway, where are you from? where are you heading? or where are you staying?[/QUOTE]

Up comes immigration officer no.2 to give me a good working over.

Well I am from Spain and I hope to one day live permanatly in the USA or Canada. USA though veeeeeeeeeery hard to get in permanantly and it seems Canada is making things very difficult now as well. If all this fails then I suppose I`ll stay in Spain or even move back to the UK where I lived for 8 years.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:11 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by king kong
To be honest what I liked about Perth was the laid back attitude, the beaches and being a sportsman enjoyed the facilities there etc but admittedly you could find that in a lot of holiday destinations etc.

Whats wrong with some sexy souless barbies.............as long as they look the part thats all that matters Do men in Perth have small penises?

I agree that the Brits speak as they find and Aussies could interpret this a being a whinging pom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.