War

Old Mar 11th 2003, 2:32 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bummer in a way!! :)

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Lately I've been taking the Ostrich approach. Steve says if I get anymore upset about it he's banning me from the telly, newspaper and dare I say it....the web. LOL!
I know Lisa Our son-in-law is on the reserve. I try not to think about it too much...
Old Mar 11th 2003, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevelisaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ranjini
I know Lisa Our son-in-law is on the reserve. I try not to think about it too much...
A young man I watched grow up is in the Air Force and now somewhere in the hotspot. Moved up his planned June wedding (was going to be one of those big foo foo affairs) due to his being shipped out. Seems to be interrupting everyones lives.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 2:42 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Careybear
I don't want war but i was wondering the same question....even though i know it probably won't happen (closing of flights) ...
I'm more worried about the possibility of them temporarily closing the Embassy in London, or at least only keeping those departments open that are considered "crucial" -- and that the Immigration Department would not be one of them. I've not heard nor read that this is going to happen, or even that it's a possibility... I'm just paranoid because Mark's interview is March 24, which is right when it seems everything will be coming to a head -- and wouldn't that just be our luck.

Fingers crossed that this whole thing can be averted...

~ Jenney
Old Mar 11th 2003, 2:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Susie
Nice one.... took me a second to taste the sarcasm.... refreshing...

Susie
Susie

Bear in mind I have been married to a Canuck for nearly (YIKES has it been that long) five years now. We are both very very involved in Can/Am politics. What can one do when one's spouse is a retired 36 year member of the RCAF and now a Captain in the NYS Guard and heads a communication section.

Rete
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:20 pm
Millie

Default Re: War

Sorry ya'll, I heard it from a girl at work who is wanting to fly to
the Netherlands to visit her son. She said she heard it on the news
and now was afraid to buy her plane ticket. I find it highly
skeptical myself, but I did think about it as a potential problem.

My husband has had his plane ticket since early Feb. and now is scared
to death that he won't be able to come back. But if you think about
it, we really
couldn't close them for long if they were closed. Look at how many
people would be stranded outside of the country. It just doesn't make
sense. If I speak to this girl again, I will ask exactly where she
got her info and post it here. If anyone finds anything at all about
this please post it.

Thanks
M

Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:38 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ranjini
Lol, Rete My Aunt and Uncle, both in their 80's hope to return to Sri Lanka from LAX sometime in May. They have been visiting since last September both in the US and Canada.
Let's hope it turns out to be the "skirmish" that Ken anticipates. Like the last one. Do you think he is being overly optimistic?? I sometimes feel he may be making a serious miscalculation here. Basically, I'm beginning to think that no really knows
Nobody really knows because the enemy in question is a wild card. His hero is Josef Stalin, chilling resemblence there.........My concern is getting involved in a land war with someone who doesn't play by the rules.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:45 pm
Banned

Originally posted by cindyabs
Nobody really knows because the enemy in question is a wild card. His hero is Josef Stalin, chilling resemblence there.........My concern is getting involved in a land war with someone who doesn't play by the rules.
I know, Cindy
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:53 pm
No longer waiting on TSC!

Troy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rete
Well I heard it from a good source that the Army Engineering Corp. has been working 24/7 for the last five months building a clear dome to cover the US for just such a contigency. There will be four points of entry for international flights. One in Detroit, Baltimore, Los Angeles and Dallas. Because of the limited landing capacity each major airline will be allowed only two flights a day to a POE of their choosing. The planes will land on top of the dome and BCIS, CIA, FBI and National Guardsman will clear every person on the plane before allowing them to enter. Note that each passenger will have to undergo full body search, a 15 minute session with a psychic and a lie detector test. Any one who fails the screening will be taken to Canada's Parliament Hill where they can join the members of the Liberal Party in denouncing the American Bastards that they love to hate.

Rete
So, are they done with the dome yet???
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Troy
So, are they done with the dome yet???

No but the prototype is in place in Cornwall.........
Old Mar 11th 2003, 3:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not being flippant here but I thought the only rule in war was to win. Winning in war means death on both sides. There is no "honor" or "gentlemenly" rules involved.

History will repeat itself and there is nothing new about the cruelty of man against man. One need only read history to see how barbaric mankind has been and still is. Religion has been used as a foundation for killing all too often as has greed and power.

I often want to be naive again and not know how an enemy can torture a captive. But I can't bury my head in the sand. Nor should I. To me, the father and son who skinned rabbits alive on Long Island are only in training for what they might one day do to a human being. Is this the way Saddam got started?

Rete
Old Mar 11th 2003, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stevelisaw
Lately I've been taking the Ostrich approach. Steve says if I get anymore upset about it he's banning me from the telly, newspaper and dare I say it....the web. LOL!
I am feeling the same way. The news is just so incredibily depressing.

Caroline
Old Mar 11th 2003, 6:03 pm
Sursum corda

Not being flippant here but I thought the only rule in war was to win. Winning in war means death on both sides. There is no "honor" or "gentlemenly" rules involved.

History will repeat itself and there is nothing new about the cruelty of man against man. One need only read history to see how barbaric mankind has been and still is. Religion has been used as a foundation for killing all too often as has greed and power.

I often want to be naive again and not know how an enemy can torture a captive. But I can't bury my head in the sand. Nor should I. To me, the father and son who skinned rabbits alive on Long Island are only in training for what they might one day do to a human being. Is this the way Saddam got started?

Rete
I am aware of that having been an Army wife for 15 years Rete...sent my ex off to Somalia and then after he retired from the Army he went to work as an expat in 95 in Croatia, Bosnia and now Macedonia. I have seen for myself up close and personal the devastation wreaked by war. BUT one thing that this guy seems to have no "scruples" about using chemicals and that is BAD stuff.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:27 pm
Concierge

I am aware of that having been an Army wife for 15 years Rete...sent my ex off to Somalia and then after he retired from the Army he went to work as an expat in 95 in Croatia, Bosnia and now Macedonia. I have seen for myself up close and personal the devastation wreaked by war. BUT one thing that this guy seems to have no "scruples" about using chemicals and that is BAD stuff.
Cindy

I agree with you. It looks, however, as if the pacifists will win this round and nothing will be done about Saddam for now. He is a man that should have been eliminated in 1991 but Bush Daddy ended the war before accomplishing the objective. And now the UN which, I personally feel, is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world can dance through the streets of New York while there are still streets to dance upon.

I ferevently hope that none of us have to live through the day that he drops a bomb on Israel or here in the US. Why do I think it is a dream that will not see reality.

Rete

PS Nor did the enemy in WWI when they used mustard gas against the Allies.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:20 pm
Ron

Default Re: War

"Rete" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
He is a man that should have been eliminated in 1991 but Bush Daddy
ended the war before accomplishing the objective.

If memory serves, the objective was to kick Saddam out of Kuwait, which was
why Bush stopped. Would've saved all this crap had they got rid of him,
though.

Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:39 pm
Banned

Cindy

I agree with you. It looks, however, as if the pacifists will win this round and nothing will be done about Saddam for now. He is a man that should have been eliminated in 1991 but Bush Daddy ended the war before accomplishing the objective. And now the UN which, I personally feel, is one of the most corrupt organizations in the world can dance through the streets of New York while there are still streets to dance upon.

I ferevently hope that none of us have to live through the day that he drops a bomb on Israel or here in the US. Why do I think it is a dream that will not see reality.

Rete

PS Nor did the enemy in WWI when they used mustard gas against the Allies.
Ken too feels that something has to be done about Saddam. I just hate the thought of war... I really don't think the govt. is going to back off at this point, do you? Looks very much like the iron is in the fire.... only a matter of time, I would say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.