Wanting to return

Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold
Default Wanting to return

Hi all,
I have posted a couple of times on the Canadian forum about different places.
We have been in Canada now almost 5 years. Things are starting to look up for us here but there is an incredible pull for us to go back to the UK. I have 3 children, 8, 4 and 2 years old. They have 25 cousins who live in one place in the UK. It doesn't matter how things are here, there is an emptiness for both me and my hubby which we can't seem to fill. We have made some great friends and my hubby loves his job. Nothing however can replace family or those events where family are involved. I feel a sense of isolation even when I am working. There is one big issue. My 2 youngest children were born here and therefore are Canadian. Do I apply for citzenship here and then go back to the UK or apply for it, go back and then return to do the exam for it?
Or should I forget about applying for citzenship as my 2 youngest may not want to return to Canada and therefore we would not have that issue of being allowed back in.
Also, how long does it take to return? Am I making sense? sorry if it's a bit wordy!!!!
Anyway, does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to return

Originally Posted by lousid
Hi all,
I have posted a couple of times on the Canadian forum about different places.
We have been in Canada now almost 5 years. Things are starting to look up for us here but there is an incredible pull for us to go back to the UK. I have 3 children, 8, 4 and 2 years old. They have 25 cousins who live in one place in the UK. It doesn't matter how things are here, there is an emptiness for both me and my hubby which we can't seem to fill. We have made some great friends and my hubby loves his job. Nothing however can replace family or those events where family are involved. I feel a sense of isolation even when I am working. There is one big issue. My 2 youngest children were born here and therefore are Canadian. Do I apply for citzenship here and then go back to the UK or apply for it, go back and then return to do the exam for it?
Or should I forget about applying for citzenship as my 2 youngest may not want to return to Canada and therefore we would not have that issue of being allowed back in.
Also, how long does it take to return? Am I making sense? sorry if it's a bit wordy!!!!
Anyway, does anyone have any advice for me? I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
I feel the void you are experiencing. I have been here 30+ years and still feel the loss. I am in the USA, not Canada, by the way. The answer is to go home

As for how long it takes, I think it is different for everyone. Some have homes to sell and others do not. In the current real estate market in the USa, it can take years. It also depends how much you are taking back of your belongings and how many people are returning and pets. You need to estimate how much it will cost and start saving. Pets are part of the family so they go, too, in my opinion.

This is what I am doing now so it will probably take me a few years to save. When I think about it, though, it will take me that length of time to properly unwind my life in the USA.

It is a cumbersome plan. You also have to think about Canadian/UK taxes, pensions, finding jobs, schools for the children, somewhere to live. It can be overwhelming but there are some sound-minded people on the forum to help you work through it all. It can be done - many have already done it and you can, too
Old Apr 28th 2011, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Many "old-timers" on here (sorry folks ) will say it is always useful to have the same citizenship as your children as you never know where any of you might end up in the future. You must qualify by now, so why not apply anyway and then see how you get on.

If you decide to sell up and move before the test (which seems to be taking up to 15 months in most provinces I think) - then re-assess after that. In the grand scheme of selling up and moving, what is a few hundred bucks on a citizenship application?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

After 5 years, you have certainly given it a fair go in Canada.

If you both feel strongly about wanting to go back, I would advise doing so as soon as possible, while the children are still young enough. Once they reach a certain point in school, it is much harder to move them for practical/educational reasons, and of course you will have more emotional resistance from them as they get older.

Many of us here on the forum would have moved back years before, if it were not for children at the wrong ages and stages.

However, there is your husband's job to consider, which you say he loves--could he find work in UK? There I can't advise.

good luck!

Tina
Old Apr 28th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I can understand what you are saying. I came here as a matter of cirumstance (my spouse is Canadian), so I never had any canadian dream. It's a perfectly nice place with nice enough people, but I don't feel any fondness or attatchment to the place. It just seems like a functional place to live. My career and our financial situation has also taken a hell of a beating in the last 4 years, and I wonder why the hell am I doing it??

I would just get your citizenship app's in anyway. It isn't too expensive and you can always return for the test/ceremony if needed. It's insurance for the future and you know how slow the immigration system is, who wants to subject themselves to that again if needed.

However, you have got to consider the job situation. Can hubby get a job back in the UK? Moving back and being unemployed isn't going to be any fun. Can you visit and check out the job situation. It might help clarify your feelings. We're going back soon for a holiday. I wonder how I'll feel this time coming back ??
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys for the replies. That feeling never really goes away. The dilemma for us both is we would gain our family again and therefore our kids would benefit big time- they have 27 cousins!!! However, one of the reasons we moved here in the first place was because we didn't want our then 3 yr old becoming the kind of teens that we taught there. I know this sounds a bit crap but he was our first and it was almost like a panic thing. We are both teachers here and we would like to be teaching there too. Kids are different here and more respectful generally but then it depends on the school where you teach. I suppose same thing applies to the UK. We have 3 small kids and it doesn't matter how much noise they make in the house, there is always an emptiness here. I don't necessarily want to move the UK as it is but I just know we need our family, especially my kids.
We will apply for our citzenship and perhaps return for the test.
I appreciate your responses.
Old May 3rd 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brizzle
I can understand what you are saying. I came here as a matter of cirumstance (my spouse is Canadian), so I never had any canadian dream. It's a perfectly nice place with nice enough people, but I don't feel any fondness or attatchment to the place. It just seems like a functional place to live. My career and our financial situation has also taken a hell of a beating in the last 4 years, and I wonder why the hell am I doing it??

I would just get your citizenship app's in anyway. It isn't too expensive and you can always return for the test/ceremony if needed. It's insurance for the future and you know how slow the immigration system is, who wants to subject themselves to that again if needed.

However, you have got to consider the job situation. Can hubby get a job back in the UK? Moving back and being unemployed isn't going to be any fun. Can you visit and check out the job situation. It might help clarify your feelings. We're going back soon for a holiday. I wonder how I'll feel this time coming back ??
Brizzle, I totally hear the financial beating thing. We bought a house, had to sell and lost HUGE HUGE sums of money. This has really set us back. We are renting right now and we would be going back to the UK with nothing.
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
Brizzle, I totally hear the financial beating thing. We bought a house, had to sell and lost HUGE HUGE sums of money. This has really set us back. We are renting right now and we would be going back to the UK with nothing.
Thanks to the economy the last 10 years where I am in the USA, I am in the same boat! Can't wait to escape from here.

I know the UK is going through some rough times but I would rather give it my vote than the USA.