Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 4:08 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Kieran Lynch of Lynch Accountng in Crewe. We use him for Canadian and UK tax, but I believe he also handles US tax too. Might be worth an enquiry. Good luck with everything.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 1:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Get a grip Shelley748.

This.

And she already has a whole thread on the subject. And I use the term "subject" loosely.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus wept.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Jesus wept.
And then Bill Gates put him in a camp for not getting a vaccine.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And then Bill Gates put him in a camp for not getting a vaccine.
We got first Covid vaccine this morning and I was very tempted to say to the nurse that we are looking forward to the 2nd appointment to re-charge the batteries.*

*RFID microchips
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN28E286
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad
We got first Covid vaccine this morning and I was very tempted to say to the nurse that we are looking forward to the 2nd appointment to re-charge the batteries.*

*RFID microchips
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN28E286

Have you picked up your 5G signal yet?
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Have you picked up your 5G signal yet?
can you hear me now?
Old Feb 24th 2021, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

luckysue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in Canada since 66, my husband since 79 and now we are getting older are thinking we would like to move back to the UK to be closer to family, plus we both still feel more at home there. We both became Canadian Citizens and wondered if we can just move back, buy a house etc, or is there a process involved? Any advice would be appreciated, taxes, health care etc??
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by luckysue
I have been in Canada since 66, my husband since 79 and now we are getting older are thinking we would like to move back to the UK to be closer to family, plus we both still feel more at home there. We both became Canadian Citizens and wondered if we can just move back, buy a house etc, or is there a process involved? Any advice would be appreciated, taxes, health care etc??

If you are both British citizens, you can go back any time you like with no process whatsoever. Just show up at Heathrow (or wherever) with your UK passports, and go through just as if you were going on holiday.

For health care, you will just register at your local surgery for your gp wherever you end up living.

Tax - sorry, no expertise there, but someone else will know.
Buying a house - sorry, no real expertise there either other than if you are paying cash it's going to be a lot easier since getting a mortage at an older age and with no UK credit rating (credit ratings don't travel) is likely to be a challenge.

Edit to add: I see you actually have a separate thread on this as well, with some comments already on it, so best stick to that one.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 26th 2021 at 5:41 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

We were both born in Britain but became Canadian Citizens for work purposes, does anyone know if we would still be able to move back to live in UK?
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:44 pm

We were both born in Britain but became Canadian Citizens for work purposes, does anyone know if we would still be able to move back to live in UK?

Sue, check your other thread. Good info there.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:56 pm

Thank you!

Also, if you hit that quote button on the bottom right of the post to which you are replying, then it shows up like this and everyone knows who you're talking to
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

As per your other thread: If you are still British citizens (surely you know whether you gave up British citzenship at some time?) you just fly back to the UK with your British passports.
Old Feb 26th 2021, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
As per your other thread: If you are still British citizens (surely you know whether you gave up British citzenship at some time?) you just fly back to the UK with your British passports.

I think she was not aware that you can't just "lose" British citizenship, you actually have to take action on it, and thought that it might have gone automatically when she took Canadian citizenship. I think she's checked the other thread now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.