Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move back - sounds like I'm not alone

Originally Posted by Frankie0089
I’m happy to find like-minded souls to discuss this with, and especially value advice from “seasoned movers”.
When we moved back we made sure to bring many years of Louisiana herbs and spices to ensure we remain seasoned movers.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

CournalCrunch is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very sorry for your loss. Especially since you have been there for so long I would recommend you get some professional advice on the tax side (particularly if you intend to sell a business as well). But rest assured despite all the complications out there there is a way to get back! It just takes time, preparation and organization!
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m happy to have found this thread. I have been lurking on this site for a few months, trying to gather as much information as possible (and getting confused).

I have lived away from the UK since 1992, first in the Caribbean and then Miami/ FL Keys from 1999. I was thinking of going home in 2003, but then I met my American husband and that was that! At least it was until he sadly passed away in April. Now I am actively trying to plan my return since I’m completely on my own here. I too, feel like my few friends here in the US are not super close, and Jake and I were joined at the hip relying mostly on each other. My brother’s heart attack in July has just added to the feeling that it’s time to go home. I’m 57 so not too far from retirement but wanting to continue working for a while, I have a house full of stuff and my husband’s business to sell, 7 family pets that I’m not prepared to re home, and finances to sort out (so confusing)... so although I know what I want to do, it won’t happen immediately and there are some challenges ahead. Not to mention the “what if’s” such as will I regret it, will I miss it, will I be bored, how will I slip back into family life after living away from the drama for so long. I’m happy to find like-minded souls to discuss this with, and especially value advice from “seasoned movers”.

My condolences on the loss of your husband and brother.

We moved from the UK in 1996 and we are tied here for the foreseeable future. I too often wonder if I could settle if I moved back home. I am sure we would slot back in again reasonably easily, but feel I would probably look back over the last 25 years with rosy specs on. It is quite a dilemma isn’t it?
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences. Are you now a US citizen ? If not would you consider getting citizenship before leaving. It would seem a prudent move, just in case you want to move back
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Frankie0089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, that’s good advice. There are many American style foods/ dishes I will miss. Except for their ridiculous idea of bacon.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CournalCrunch
I am very sorry for your loss. Especially since you have been there for so long I would recommend you get some professional advice on the tax side (particularly if you intend to sell a business as well). But rest assured despite all the complications out there there is a way to get back! It just takes time, preparation and organization!
Thank you! I am looking for a suitable professional as we speak. I’m struggling to find someone who understands tax implications on both sides of the pond.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Condolences. Are you now a US citizen ? If not would you consider getting citizenship before leaving. It would seem a prudent move, just in case you want to move back
Hi scot47, I am not a citizen, I am a green card holder. I have considered becoming a citizen but I’m not sure I would come back once I left. There’s nothing here for me any more, at least nothing that can’t be covered by a vacation trip. Plus there are tax implications I think. Looking for advice on that as we speak.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! I am looking for a suitable professional as we speak. I’m struggling to find someone who understands tax implications on both sides of the pond.
We now live in Canada and our taxes are a nightmare as we have UK and US income coming in from several sources. We are considering renouncing our US citizenship but we would be liable for exit taxes. Because of the US income we would still have to file US taxes, whether we are USC’s or not.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My condolences on the loss of your husband and brother.

We moved from the UK in 1996 and we are tied here for the foreseeable future. I too often wonder if I could settle if I moved back home. I am sure we would slot back in again reasonably easily, but feel I would probably look back over the last 25 years with rosy specs on. It is quite a dilemma isn’t it?
Thank you for your kind thoughts. it is indeed a dilemma. I admit I’ve had quite an adventure during these years away and I think I worry most about being bored (especially if my finances don’t stretch as far as I hope they will). Rose tinted specs are a real thing. But I’m also getting older and I can’t imagine not spending some remaining quality years with my peeps close by. I’m completely alone here except for my animals and COVID has exacerbated that.
Old Feb 7th 2021, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you for your kind thoughts. it is indeed a dilemma. I admit I’ve had quite an adventure during these years away and I think I worry most about being bored (especially if my finances don’t stretch as far as I hope they will). Rose tinted specs are a real thing. But I’m also getting older and I can’t imagine not spending some remaining quality years with my peeps close by. I’m completely alone here except for my animals and COVID has exacerbated that.
As one ages, especially if you have no one, you need to be where you will feel the most comfortable. IMO if that’s what you want, it is best to do it now and not wait until you are older. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Feb 7th 2021 at 4:01 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Streetlegal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CournalCrunch
I assume you have been there long enough such that you will be subject to the Exit Tax on your departure? The reason I gave up my Permanent Residency (Green Card) was that I did not want to be subject to US taxes on my income moving forward. I am a bit younger so plan on working for a few years yet so I did not want additional complication. Yes I secured a job which allows me to work from Scotland starting in March.

I am unsure of the rules surrounding pension / SS and how that relates to residency/citizenship so unfortunately can't make any recommendations regarding that
I've not heard of an Exit Tax. What's that?

Re. filing taxes, since my pension is coming mainly from the US, I'll have to file taxes whether I give up my green card on not . . . I'm guessing that won't be the case for you.
Cheers
Ed

Old Feb 10th 2021, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Exit tax ? What is that ? You have to bribe someone to leave ?
Old Feb 10th 2021, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

In the words of The Eagles, “You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave”

Expatriation tax provisions apply to U.S. citizens who have relinquished their citizenship and long-term residents who have ended their residency (expatriated).

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8854

Last edited by durham_lad; Feb 10th 2021 at 7:50 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2021, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Exit tax ? What is that ? You have to bribe someone to leave ?
Well, I never! Exit tax.

So me and my husband, we're not x-pats then.
Amazing the stuff I find out on BE that I never would have known.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Get a grip Shelley748.

Last edited by Helen1964; Feb 23rd 2021 at 4:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.