Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:50 am
Just Joined

pmarshall76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanting to move back to N Ireland

Helen I think the options are limited we are stuck here for a long while
Old Jun 9th 2017, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

And watch how you refer to the southern part of the island of Ireland. The label you use shows your political stance.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 5:12 am
Just Joined

Sorry :-)
Old Jun 9th 2017, 10:59 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You and your wife can move to the RoI under EEA freedom of movement rules (for the time being). Depending on how far away your parents are from the border then that might be a solution. Five years residence and your wife can obtain Irish citizenship and the ability to live in the UK without restriction. In the meantime you can work on either side of the border.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You and your wife can move to the RoI under EEA freedom of movement rules (for the time being). Depending on how far away your parents are from the border then that might be a solution. Five years residence and your wife can obtain Irish citizenship and the ability to live in the UK without restriction. In the meantime you can work on either side of the border.
That's not an ideal situation, we will have to stay here in the US now, thanks for all the great responses.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 12:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pmarshall76
That's not an ideal situation, we will have to stay here in the US now, thanks for all the great responses.
Well be sure to get your citizenship next year, and that will give you permanent options to live in either the US or UK.
Old Jun 9th 2017, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well be sure to get your citizenship next year, and that will give you permanent options to live in either the US or UK.
I'm removing my conditions in august from my greencard, I do not think we will ever be able to move to Belfast with the options we have. I guess we will have to ride it out here.

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Pack your flak jacket!
Quite an ignorant comment which was uncalled for.
Old Jun 11th 2017, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
And watch how you refer to the southern part of the island of Ireland. The label you use shows your political stance.
Not at all - I've just been emailing with my cousin's wife, who was born and bred in "the south" and that's how she refers to her homeland!
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
Quite an ignorant comment which was uncalled for.
You're absolutely right. I was born and raised in Belfast, lived there for 18 years and visit 3 times a year as my entire family live there. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Trish, Some people refer to the Republic as "The Free State" but that has connotaions. Labels tell us something about the person using the labels !

In Ireland - as in most places - you cannot escape from History.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scot47
Trish, Some people refer to the Republic as "The Free State" but that has connotaions. Labels tell us something about the person using the labels !

In Ireland - as in most places - you cannot escape from History.
As one born and raised there, I am very well aware. However, I have noted that it seems to be those who aren't Irish make more of a deal out of how to refer to the country than those who live there. "Up north" and "down south" are terms I grew up hearing on both sides of the border.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Helen1964
You're absolutely right. I was born and raised in Belfast, lived there for 18 years and visit 3 times a year as my entire family live there. I have no idea what I'm talking about.
That just makes it worse, you should know better. The only people I have ever seen wearing flak jackets in NI are police or military personnel. To insinuate that flak jackets are necessary for civilians only perpetuates an incorrect stereotype of NI that the majority of the NI public would like to move away from.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 12:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That just makes it worse, you should know better. The only people I have ever seen wearing flak jackets in NI are police or military personnel. To insinuate that flak jackets are necessary for civilians only perpetuates an incorrect stereotype of NI that the majority of the NI public would like to move away from.
I used to work with a woman from NI (lived there from the 1960's to the mid 1980's), and she said the first time she ever heard a bomb go off was after she moved to London.
Old Jun 12th 2017, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus wept.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.