Wanting to move back?

Old Oct 12th 2004, 5:47 am
wombat42

Default Re: Wanting to move back?

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi tallperson,
Thank Goodness someone feels the same as me! I was starting to think maybe I was just never satisfied or I was just being ungrateful! (I know so many people are just desperate to get out of the U.K and can't find a way into Australia/Canada/America ) But I just feel that this will never be a home to us.
One of my biggest fears is that our children will grow up, not knowing their Grandparents or their roots. Although my parents are able to visit, (at the moment...) when they are here, they are constantly trying to make up for lost time with the children by spoiling them too much and buying them presents, instead of just being themselves and spending quality time with them. I don't want our children to grow up being materialistic.
My husband's parents' as I said before, cannot make the journey, so the children have almost forgotten them, the youngest never really knew them anyway. I try to show them photographs of them whenever I can, and talk to them on the 'phone with the children, just so they know that they exist!
My husband reminds me, when I'm having a "whinge"...! That I did know that I was taking them to the other side of the world, away from family before we came here..... And he's right. Yes, I did know, but I also thought that the lifestyle would be so much better over here, that it would more than compensate for what we left behind........
WELL, IT DOESN'T!!!!!!!
Our lifestyle here is certainly no better or healthier here than it was in the U.K!
There's loads of things about Australia that I could think of, to have a good whinge about, but I'd better not because I'm sure most people who've made the move over here love it, (or say they do.....?) but I don't!!
I'm very lucky that my partner is supportive of me, and has said he will back up whatever decision I feel is for the best and will make me happy, whether it is to stay or go back..... Bless Him!!!! He's very patient with me, Thank God!
The Jury's still out, at the moment!
But I think we will get our Citizenship (so the children will always have the option to return, even though Australia wasn't for us, maybe when they're grown-up they would love to come over here.......)
And when we've done that, head back home...!!! (At least, that's how I feel today anyway...!!!!!!)

Does your husband feel the same way as you do about Canada, or do you think he would stay if you were happy there?
What have you found to be the main differences between there and the U.K?
And what part of the U.K were you from?
(We moved from quite a rural area of England, and so the crime rate/drugs problem is actually greater here, than where we left behind..!)
Anyway, I'd better go now before I start slagging off OZ and get slaughtered by some of the happy Aussie posters'!!!!
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!
kath n kim
What l don't understand is that when you made the decision to immigrate to Australia you knew your children would be 12,000 miles away from grandparents and other family members and not able to see them often, but decided that this was a sacrifice worth making, However after a few months in OZ you suddenly change your mind and decide your children can't live without their grandparents . Also obviously you don't like OZ but won't give the reasons why, so l was wondering why would you immigrate to a country you don't like in the first place, had you never been here before and had unrealistic expectations? Are you leaving OZ after only being here a short time
without making an effort to adjust or get used to living in a different country?

Last edited by wombat42; Oct 12th 2004 at 6:18 am.

Old Oct 12th 2004, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

Tapalinga is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya drewdrop, this is our story, have lived in oz for just over 2 yrs. We have a 12yr old son. We have just sold our house and are going back to uk. Our son can't wait to get back, he misses his family so much, right from when we arrived here he has always said he wants to go back. He has lots of friends and loves the way of life but even at 12yrs he knows that family to him is more important. We also feel the same, its very hard when you know that you may only see them every couple of years if your lucky. Good luck with everything and by the way i come from St Albans, don't know if you know it? Regards Angie

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Hello,
Just found this site and am really happy there are others I can talk to about moving back to the UK....

Well, here goes. I was born in Enfield, England, and immigrated with my parents, at a young age of 3, to Ontario, Canada. I have been back to the UK many times to see family recent trip Dec. 2003 for 3 weeks. Now I have grown, i really miss the things i didn't have when growing up in Canada...like cousins, aunts/uncles. all the stuff that goes along with having family close by instead of thousand of miles away. I miss England's heritage, people, and love being there. I find the people do seem calmer.

I am married to a Canadian, who also is considering life in the UK, we have 2 children as well. I am just wondering where do we start?

Am I CRAZY to want to move back?.
1)Would we be able to buy a 3 bedroom flat or terrace/cottage.?
2)What is the schooling like? Would my 6 year old daughter get teased with her Canadian accent???

3)My husband works for GM(car plant) Millwright/machine tool repair. Would there be any chance of work transfers to GM Europe (LUTON)? I have heard many things about the car industry.

This is my first post. So any comments are greatly appreciated. I know my next post won't be so long.

(I still have my British passport, and my children are british by descent, so just what would my husband need?)

Cheers
Old Oct 12th 2004, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Angie, I sort of know where you are coming from. Our son is 10 and we have been in Oz since July and he still says that he wants to go back.

He has had a few problems at school but even before that he said that he want to go back as he misses his grandparent terribly.

We haven't been here that long and i think that he will take time to feel ok. But, saying that, I think that you should still listen to what they have to say, and I know that if he is still not happy by the time he is 12 then who knows what will happen!

Mandy
Old Oct 12th 2004, 9:08 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

..thank you for the housing website i will be sure to check that one out. We have been using the Vebra.com is this a rebutable site? What qualifies someone to be on the council house waiting list?
Can't help you too much with council housing. I know it has been sold off in a lot of places, and for political reasons cannot be replaced. This has lead to long waiting lists, with at risk people getting priority. There are housing associations that provide similar accommodation, but it is probably easiest if you do a search on www.google.co.uk (and select UK only check box) to find out about this when you have a better idea of where you want to be.

Vebra.com is great for finding property from a variety of estate agents. The one I gave for examples is a single nationwide estate agency so is really useful to give you some ideas about prices in different locations. There are many such websites (most estate agencies have a website) that you can search for.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:15 am
here there and everywhere

georgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the roughgeorgy33 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Wanting to move back?

Hello!

Hertfordshire would be my first choice, as that is where my family and cousins are from Stevenage. Some in Potterbar. I have been to Hitchin it is lovely as well, as Letchworth. all the small towns off of Stevenage, but most of all it is where the work would be for my husband. we have friends in enfield still. It is so busy there, not my cup of tea either, but had to see the old house on Park Rd. How about Bed and Breakfast places are they more common on the seasides?

Good luck with your choice in NS...You do realize the weather is very different to what you have in england. You're chosing somewhere that has long winters, it can be depressing at times. as too why I can't stand Canadian winters anymore....heating bills sky high and lots of ice/snow! good luck with everything.
cheers
Hi Dewdrop

Just read your posting
If you are moving to the uk i wouldnt worry about your children being picked on the other children will be fascinated by there accents for starters and in the village areas the schools are pretty good.But i wouldnt put them in schools in the city area as they are very rough and there is alot of crime.
Also i would advise against living in the city area aswell, Crime in England at the moment is terrible and is getting worse,muggings,drugs and murder the list goes on.But dont let that put you of living in Engalnd there are some beautiful places you can move to.
as someone else suggested rent you house in Canada to start with and then rent in England get a feel for the place and have a look round.
Old Oct 12th 2004, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wombat42
What l don't understand is that when you made the decision to immigrate to Australia you knew your children would be 12,000 miles away from grandparents and other family members and not able to see them often, but decided that this was a sacrifice worth making, However after a few months in OZ you suddenly change your mind and decide your children can't live without their grandparents . Also obviously you don't like OZ but won't give the reasons why, so l was wondering why would you immigrate to a country you don't like in the first place, had you never been here before and had unrealistic expectations? Are you leaving OZ after only being here a short time
without making an effort to adjust or get used to living in a different country?
Hi Wombat42, I wondered how long it would take you to sniff me out... !!
Old Oct 12th 2004, 10:29 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi Wombat42, I wondered how long it would take you to sniff me out... !!
Not long, we Wombats have very large noses.

Old Oct 13th 2004, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wombat42
Not long, we Wombats have very large noses.
Quite flattered you noticed me actually........
If you re-read my posts, you will notice that most of the answers to your previous questions are actually already there.
But if you have any further queries that I can be of assistance with, please ask.
Old Oct 13th 2004, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tapalinga
Hi ya drewdrop, this is our story, have lived in oz for just over 2 yrs. We have a 12yr old son. We have just sold our house and are going back to uk. Our son can't wait to get back, he misses his family so much, right from when we arrived here he has always said he wants to go back. He has lots of friends and loves the way of life but even at 12yrs he knows that family to him is more important. We also feel the same, its very hard when you know that you may only see them every couple of years if your lucky. Good luck with everything and by the way i come from St Albans, don't know if you know it? Regards Angie
Hi Tapalinga, sorry to but-in!
But I noticed your post, and was just wondering if you got Australian Citizenship before you've decided to go home?
I'm still weighing up the pro's and con's of getting it.....!
Did you sell your house in England before you came over to Oz?
Property has gone up so much over there, I'm wondering if we'd ever be able to get back on the property ladder again, should we return. (We sold up when we came over here........bad idea!!!!)
Is it just one child you have, 12yr old, and do you have a lot of family (close and extended) in the U.K?
We don't have a huge family in the U.K (more than we have here though..!!)
And we didn't actually see loads of them before we came, but at least we lived close enough, to be close when we needed to be close.........!!! (if you can make sense of that!)
Good Luck with your move!
kath n kim
Old Oct 13th 2004, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
7 long months!!!!! I was sat here today wondering how on earth I am going to survive until May.(which is when we may return)!

We have a friend and relatives booked in to visit us from December until March - so that will be great.

Any coping strategies in dealing with "awaiting to go home" are very welcome!!!

scoobs x
Hi scoobydoo!
Glad to hear you've got visitors over Xmas/New Year, I think that's the hardest time over here as it seems so "unseasonal" (trying to put Christmas decorations up in blistering heat just doesn't seem right somehow...?!) We also have visitors from "home" coming over, so I'm looking forward to seeing them this year, although I have given-in gracefully and will NOT be attempting to cook a Christmas dinner! (must admit, didn't do it last year either, it was quite nice doing the "prawns on the barbie" bit, for a change, but it just didn't seem like Christmas somehow.....)
Will you be able to get citizenship before you go? (if you do decide to head home..!)
We have decided to get our citizenship, (so that, should our children ever want to return, they would be able to. Even if we decide it's not for us, it will give them an option when they are older....)
I think after we have done that, we will re-assess just how happy we are here, and if we would be happier or not, back home..., at the moment I would go back tommorrow, given half a chance! But who knows....
I have decided to now treat my time here as an adventure, Australia is such a diverse country, and there are so many different things to see, experience and appreciate, I still get a buzz when I see the Lorikeets flying into our back garden to feed, when the seed pods open in the Palm tree. (That doesn't happen in the U.K!!) And I've decided to make the most of it, incase we DO go back, 'cos I'm sure that if we go back, it'll be a bloody long time before I'd come back here again....!!!
Keep in touch..!
kath n kim
Old Oct 14th 2004, 12:38 am
scoobydoo

Hello again kath n kim!

I do think that it is a good idea to get citizenship before you go back...especially for the children and their future choices. We could do it if we stay long enough. You know how it is! One day can be total misery and full of homesickness, and the next can be good!
I also worry that I am looking at the UK through the rose tinted specs...but nothing beats having family around to enjoy their time with the children and friends who you can have a proper laugh with and be totally yourself with! And who don't judge you 'cause they know you can be a total twat at times..........really miss that!
As you are, we are making the most of our time here and enjoying the sights. I must admit though, if we went back I wouldn't be that bothered about a holiday over here again for a while!!!!
We are lucky though as our house is rented out so we do not have the problem of getting back on the property ladder.

Decisions, decisions!!!

I was talking to a friend who has been over here for 6 years now. They continue to have conversations about whether to go back to their country or not...after 6 years! She says it is the most draining thing having that in the back of your mind all the time, it saps her of energy and she wishes they could make up their minds. God...I hope we don't become like that!

Old Oct 14th 2004, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again kath n kim!

I do think that it is a good idea to get citizenship before you go back...especially for the children and their future choices. We could do it if we stay long enough. You know how it is! One day can be total misery and full of homesickness, and the next can be good!
I also worry that I am looking at the UK through the rose tinted specs...but nothing beats having family around to enjoy their time with the children and friends who you can have a proper laugh with and be totally yourself with! And who don't judge you 'cause they know you can be a total twat at times..........really miss that!
As you are, we are making the most of our time here and enjoying the sights. I must admit though, if we went back I wouldn't be that bothered about a holiday over here again for a while!!!!
We are lucky though as our house is rented out so we do not have the problem of getting back on the property ladder.

Decisions, decisions!!!

I was talking to a friend who has been over here for 6 years now. They continue to have conversations about whether to go back to their country or not...after 6 years! She says it is the most draining thing having that in the back of your mind all the time, it saps her of energy and she wishes they could make up their minds. God...I hope we don't become like that!

6 years is nothing!

We decided to go back after 12 years....
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Hello again kath n kim!

Decisions, decisions!!!

Hiya, Yep, know exactly where you're coming from!
Some days I want to go back so desperately I feel like swimming it, then the next day feel it's not so bad here after all, and would I be happy if we did go back..?!
I know that not having family here, or friends that I have known for so long that I can relax with them, have a really good laugh (and yep, be a twat with sometimes!) really swings it in favour of the U.K right now. I don't think I've had a really good laugh since we got here... although I must admit to having a giggle at Kath & Kim......!
Also, most the Pommies that I speak to aswell, (even the ones who have been here years..) still call the U.K "home" but say they have made too many commitments here now (children in schools, mortgages, jobs etc) to go back, even though, I think, some of them would quite like to.....
I don't want to stay here so long that I really want to go back, but no longer have the chioce, but at the same time I think that to stand any hope of ever settling, I need to give it a fair crack of the whip, stay awhile, enjoy it for what it is, (one hell of an adventure!) and if, when the time comes to re-assess the situation we're still not 100% happy here........ we'll go home
(and probably end up living in a bed-sit, 'cos that's all we'll be able to afford! Aren't you glad, you didn't sell your house......!!!!)
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
6 years is nothing!

We decided to go back after 12 years....
Hi MikeStanton!
What made you go back after 12 years????
Are you glad to be home...???
Where were you living..Australia, America, etc....?
And (not that I'm nosy or anything.......!!)
What State?
Thanks!!
kath n kim
Old Oct 29th 2004, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Wanting to move back?

I work in the auto industry and noticed this report about how GM are trimming their workforce in Europe by at least 20% ,may be of interest to the starter of this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.