Wanting to move back?

Old Oct 6th 2004, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Wanting to move back?

Hello,
Just found this site and am really happy there are others I can talk to about moving back to the UK....

Well, here goes. I was born in Enfield, England, and immigrated with my parents, at a young age of 3, to Ontario, Canada. I have been back to the UK many times to see family recent trip Dec. 2003 for 3 weeks. Now I have grown, i really miss the things i didn't have when growing up in Canada...like cousins, aunts/uncles. all the stuff that goes along with having family close by instead of thousand of miles away. I miss England's heritage, people, and love being there. I find the people do seem calmer.

I am married to a Canadian, who also is considering life in the UK, we have 2 children as well. I am just wondering where do we start?

Am I CRAZY to want to move back?.
1)Would we be able to buy a 3 bedroom flat or terrace/cottage.?
2)What is the schooling like? Would my 6 year old daughter get teased with her Canadian accent???

3)My husband works for GM(car plant) Millwright/machine tool repair. Would there be any chance of work transfers to GM Europe (LUTON)? I have heard many things about the car industry.

This is my first post. So any comments are greatly appreciated. I know my next post won't be so long.

(I still have my British passport, and my children are british by descent, so just what would my husband need?)

Cheers
Old Oct 6th 2004, 6:02 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Re: Wanting to move back?

Originally Posted by dewdrop
Hello,
Just found this site and am really happy there are others I can talk to about moving back to the UK....

Well, here goes. I was born in Enfield, England, and immigrated with my parents, at a young age of 3, to Ontario, Canada. I have been back to the UK many times to see family recent trip Dec. 2003 for 3 weeks. Now I have grown, i really miss the things i didn't have when growing up in Canada...like cousins, aunts/uncles. all the stuff that goes along with having family close by instead of thousand of miles away. I miss England's heritage, people, and love being there. I find the people do seem calmer.

I am married to a Canadian, who also is considering life in the UK, we have 2 children as well. I am just wondering where do we start?

2)What is the schooling like? Would my 6 year old daughter get teased with her Canadian accent???

3)My husband works for GM(car plant) Millwright/machine tool repair. Would there be any chance of work transfers to GM Europe (LUTON)? I have heard many things about the car industry.

This is my first post. So any comments are greatly appreciated. I know my next post won't be so long.

(I still have my British passport, and my children are british by descent, so just what would my husband need?)

Cheers
1. Yes, you can.
2. No, not really.
3. Better ask.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice
Default Re: Wanting to move back?

Hi dewdrop,
what part of UK do you want to live in? I was born in Enfield and was there for first 10 years of my life before we moved to hertfordshire, i would certainly not move anywhere near Enfield now, my mum still has friends there, and many of my cousins live in around that area. I also would not move to Luton, but around there Hemel, Hitchin, and few sleepy villages are ok. But at the end o fthe day it's what you are looking for. I'm sure your child would not get picked on because of accent, maybe couple of days of kids wanting them to talk because it's different. We are looking to move to halifax in NS and think it's the best thing for our 4 year old. I certainly am concerned about bringing him up in this country, we live in lancs up north now. There are places i would be happy to move to but can not afford in hertfordshire. I hope it works out for you, good luck.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:40 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Cheers
I don't think you're crazy to want to move back. What might be a better solution could be to consider going to live in the UK for say, two to three years - perhaps rent a property would be best and retaining your home in Canada by renting it out. That way you will have more options available in case you and/or your spouse have reservations about making a commitment to making a permanent move to the UK.

I can't give you any help re; whether or not it's going to be affordable for you. I can't also help re; jobs for your husband. However, the car industry is scattered in various parts of the UK; you already know the GM (manufacturer is called "Vauxhall" in the UK) locations, but if I remember correctly there are the Rover car plants at Cowley in Oxford, Ford at Speke in Liverpool, Ford at Dagenham, Essex, Peugeot in Coventry and Land Rover & Jaguar in the Birmingham area. Aston Martin is at Gaydon in Warwickshire, Rolls Royce is (I think) in Crewe, Lancs. I guess as he is highly skilled he can work outside the car industry in another manufacturing plant?

I understand that a visa for your husband to work and live in the UK will be very easy to get (I've heard of people in the US married to a UK citizen can get them in less than a week). I think - and I'm not 100% certain - that after 3 years your husband can apply for full British citizenhsip. Here's your first port of call:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?...=1013618514592

(One of this consular offices in Canada will point you in the right direction).

Your daughter's accent won't be a problem at all - and I guess within a short time she will pick up the local English one!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:41 pm
Andy cook

Andy cook is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dewdrop, Im glad Ive read this, as we are considering moving to portugal, my kids are 10 and 4, I just wanted to ask you how did you feel being brought up in a foriegn country, we are sick of the uk, taxes crime etc, but I am concerned that the kids may get home sick, so your comments would be most appreciated.

As for you moving back, the house prices have really gone crazy over here, I live in north wales and our house has gone up in value by £70,000.00 in the last 2 years, a mid terrace would cost you £110,000.00 our house would now cost you £225,000.00 so thats how mad its gone.

Take care and good luck what ever you decide, Andy.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 10:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Three thoughts come to mind:
- if you'll be leaving behind extended family in Canada, you lose out somewhat in this respect
- living in a country is very different from being there on vacation
- you've been to the UK in winter so you know what it's like, the grey weather that seems to last for months does affect people.

One thing that's very important (as I regularly point out) - if you've not got Canadian citizenship make sure you obtain this before leaving Canada. High risk of regrets otherwise.

Depends on where in the UK you plan to settle. Most UK people who aren't getting housing from the local council live in houses, not flats.

Quality of schooling varies widely. You're likely to find better schools in nice villages rather than run-down inner-city areas.

Often it's easier said than done to get an inter-company transfer, unless you're quite senior. He should explore options with his company first.

A spouse visa. http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk has details. He needs to apply before leaving for the UK.

He should get a permanent settlement visa straight away (as it seems you've been married a long time) - after three years in the UK he can apply for British citizenship by naturalisation. Both Canada and the UK allow dual citizenship.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Oct 7th 2004 at 9:55 am.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Andy cook
Hi Dewdrop, Im glad Ive read this, as we are considering moving to portugal, my kids are 10 and 4, I just wanted to ask you how did you feel being brought up in a foriegn country, we are sick of the uk, taxes crime etc, but I am concerned that the kids may get home sick, so your comments would be most appreciated.

As for you moving back, the house prices have really gone crazy over here, I live in north wales and our house has gone up in value by £70,000.00 in the last 2 years, a mid terrace would cost you £110,000.00 our house would now cost you £225,000.00 so thats how mad its gone.

Take care and good luck what ever you decide, Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. I have mixed feelings being in Ontario, it is good in opportunities, but why have a big house if there is no family that will ever see it. I have missed so much not living in England with my family. It breaks my heart...(It was purely my father who wanted the move, as he was in the Navy and saw the world)....I would say the grass is not always greener on the other side....your children will miss birthdays, family gatherings(christmas)etc, their heritage. Although children are pretty resilent, they do adapt!

Have you been to Portugual before?, do your children have to learn a different language for school?. will there be any other family there or are they all in england?. Just things to think about...We too have crime, high taxes, gas prices going up etc...Toronto is our closest city. No country is without crime! unfortunately.
still missing England Hope this helps.
cheers
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi dewdrop,
what part of UK do you want to live in? I was born in Enfield and was there for first 10 years of my life before we moved to hertfordshire, i would certainly not move anywhere near Enfield now, my mum still has friends there, and many of my cousins live in around that area. I also would not move to Luton, but around there Hemel, Hitchin, and few sleepy villages are ok. But at the end o fthe day it's what you are looking for. I'm sure your child would not get picked on because of accent, maybe couple of days of kids wanting them to talk because it's different. We are looking to move to halifax in NS and think it's the best thing for our 4 year old. I certainly am concerned about bringing him up in this country, we live in lancs up north now. There are places i would be happy to move to but can not afford in hertfordshire. I hope it works out for you, good luck.

Hello!

Hertfordshire would be my first choice, as that is where my family and cousins are from Stevenage. Some in Potterbar. I have been to Hitchin it is lovely as well, as Letchworth. all the small towns off of Stevenage, but most of all it is where the work would be for my husband. we have friends in enfield still. It is so busy there, not my cup of tea either, but had to see the old house on Park Rd. How about Bed and Breakfast places are they more common on the seasides?

Good luck with your choice in NS...You do realize the weather is very different to what you have in england. You're chosing somewhere that has long winters, it can be depressing at times. as too why I can't stand Canadian winters anymore....heating bills sky high and lots of ice/snow! good luck with everything.
cheers
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:17 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy cook
I live in north wales and our house has gone up in value by £70,000.00 in the last 2 years, a mid terrace would cost you £110,000.00 our house would now cost you £225,000.00 so thats how mad its gone.

well Andy good luck with your move I'm from N.Wales too and I'm looking to move back!
unfortunately i don't think we'll be buying a house those prices sound outrageous good for you though if you manage to sell
Hope you enjoy Portugal but make sure you'll be able to visit home often cos believe it or not once you're gone you'll really miss the place
Old Oct 7th 2004, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Hi Dewdrop! I'm really glad you've written in because my biggest worry since moving overseas is that, although we thought we were doing it for our children's benefit (aged 3 and 1), by giving them a better standard of living, maybe we are depriving them of what really matters...... Family- close and extended, family gatherings, roots, heritage and a sense of belonging, which I feel sometimes we are depriving them of now, and also depriving their Grandparents, aunties, uncles, etc...of seeing them grow up.
I know this may seem a silly question, but did you always feel you wanted to move back to the U.K (even as a child) or is it something which you have decided on recently?
Sorry to sound a bit negative, but it is something that has been niggling at me since we arrived.....
Is having a nice house, garden etc.. any compensation for taking children away from family, friends etc...??
thanks
kath n kim
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:43 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with parents at age of 5. I have 2 sisters that adjusted quite well and got American citizenship years ago. I, on the other hand, would not let go of my 'Britishness'. I was such a rebel about it. I yearned to go back and cherished each visit with my relatives and every letter that came. In school, I had no desire to learn American history and would go to the library and check out books about Britain or Brits. I have just applied for citizenship now that I'm going back. So I would say that it depends on the child whether they adjust or not. I know I have missed out on soooo much.
After checking various sources and getting lots of opinions, I think that England has the better education system.
And you would not believe the amount of crime here in sunny Florida. It's everywhere. You just have to choose the best area for living in any country.
England is home and its a wonderful place. there are problems everywhere but NOT everywhere is 'home'.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Hello!

Hertfordshire would be my first choice, as that is where my family and cousins are from Stevenage. Some in Potterbar. I have been to Hitchin it is lovely as well, as Letchworth. all the small towns off of Stevenage, but most of all it is where the work would be for my husband. we have friends in enfield still. It is so busy there, not my cup of tea either, but had to see the old house on Park Rd. How about Bed and Breakfast places are they more common on the seasides?

Good luck with your choice in NS...You do realize the weather is very different to what you have in england. You're chosing somewhere that has long winters, it can be depressing at times. as too why I can't stand Canadian winters anymore....heating bills sky high and lots of ice/snow! good luck with everything.
cheers
HI dewdrop, my family moved to Welwyn Garden City in 1980, my sister is still there, parents retired to Hatfield, have family and friends in stevenage, hitchin and biggleswade. I like most of them places but not too keen on hatfield, but mum and dad and brother seem to be ok there. I 'm sure there are lots of B&B in all places but can't really help with that.
We are aware of the winters in Canada, i lived in calgary in a -40 winter wasn't good. But whe weather isn't really a bother to us. It can't be any more depressing than uk. We have had no summer at all, where my sister in halifax has a at least couple of months of constant hot weather, and i don't think they have there winter coats out yet, where mine has been out at least 2 weeks now. A nyway good luck in future hope all goes well.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 3:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum

I can't give you any help re; whether or not it's going to be affordable for you. I can't also help re; jobs for your husband. However, the car industry is scattered in various parts of the UK; you already know the GM (manufacturer is called "Vauxhall" in the UK) locations, but if I remember correctly there are the Rover car plants at Cowley in Oxford, Ford at Speke in Liverpool, Ford at Dagenham, Essex, Peugeot in Coventry and Land Rover & Jaguar in the Birmingham area. Aston Martin is at Gaydon in Warwickshire, Rolls Royce is (I think) in Crewe, Lancs. I guess as he is highly skilled he can work outside the car industry in another manufacturing plant?
The Cowley plant is now bmw, but yutaka systems next door makes exhaust systems, etc for a whole bunch of car companies...there's also honda in swindon.

BMW are paying shit loads of money for people to work there, the downside, cost of living in Oxford is stupidly high.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Cheers
Do you have any family left in Canada now? My husband and I would like to start a family and that is partly why we have decided to move back to the UK within the next two years. When we first moved here it was possibly going to be for good however we both now realise that it is important for our children to be near family which will mean more to them than living in a bigger house. I couldnt imagine my children being a different culture to me.

If its on your mind to go to the UK then I would suggest you do it, keep in mind it will be difficult and also try not to compare the two countries (difficult I know) but I would also suggest you rent your home in Canada just in case things dont work out. Good Luck I really hope it works out for you
Old Oct 7th 2004, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi Dewdrop! I'm really glad you've written in because my biggest worry since moving overseas is that, although we thought we were doing it for our children's benefit (aged 3 and 1), by giving them a better standard of living, maybe we are depriving them of what really matters...... Family- close and extended, family gatherings, roots, heritage and a sense of belonging, which I feel sometimes we are depriving them of now, and also depriving their Grandparents, aunties, uncles, etc...of seeing them grow up.
I know this may seem a silly question, but did you always feel you wanted to move back to the U.K (even as a child) or is it something which you have decided on recently?
Sorry to sound a bit negative, but it is something that has been niggling at me since we arrived.....
Is having a nice house, garden etc.. any compensation for taking children away from family, friends etc...??
thanks
kath n kim
Hi Kath n kim

So glad you wrote, this site is quite good, I am so happy to talk to people that have the same thoughts of the UK etc....
when i was young i didn't really know any different, my first trip back to the UK was when i was 9 years old. I always had many tears leaving England after every trip thereafter.So now i knew what i was missing! But now seems to be stronger than ever. In my teen years, i should have made the jump back, but wasn't obviously thinking Did you immigrate to Canada as well.? Are there any family for you close by? As when my parents came to Canada so did my grandparents. so at least i had them. but for the rest of the family i missed out!
Flights aren't cheap. so i think the next time i go is for good!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.