Reload this Page >

Want to move back to UK...Help!

Want to move back to UK...Help!

Old Jun 27th 2004, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

crusty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Want to move back to UK...Help!

Hi,
I am British and my wife is American. I have been in America a little over a year and a half. I have permanant Resident status right now.
My wife and I would like to move back to the UK. Is this possible and will they let her stay in the UK?
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Want to move back to UK...Help!

Hi,

We're in exactly the same boat. We're planning to move to the UK later this year.
To answer your question: Yes, your wife can go to the UK.
Check out the following link to find out how to apply,

http://www.britainusa.com/visas/othe...5&Other_ID=322

Hope this helps.

Take Care,

Kat
Old Jun 27th 2004, 4:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

By the way,

I think you lose your green card (permanent residence) if you're out of the country more than a year. However, if you decide to return to the US. I believe you can do DCF, Direct Consular Filing, which when approved gives the foreign spouse a greencard to enter. I need to check more on this myself as we're only planning to stay a few years in the UK and then eventually return.

Kat
Old Jun 27th 2004, 6:47 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by crusty
Hi,
I am British and my wife is American. I have been in America a little over a year and a half. I have permanant Resident status right now.
My wife and I would like to move back to the UK. Is this possible and will they let her stay in the UK?

Hi,

i'm british and my hubby is Australian, getting his visa to be in the UK was easy. You need to get the forms off the Home office web site.

We applied for his at the british consulate in Los Angeles (long story but it was quicker to do it there then in the UK, it took 2 days to get approved. You need to basically fill in the form, prove you are married and prove you have a genuine relationship. It cost us $400 USD. There are other british consulates in the US that can do it for you, Call the one in LA and they will give you all the info, they were really really helpfull.

Good luck
Kala
Old Jun 30th 2004, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You might like to join the forum at www.americanexpats.co.uk, sort of like this site in reverse!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 2:53 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely recommend gettign the paperwork done outside the UK... there's three places in UK where the documentation can be done although it all ends up in Croydon, London... and believe me you don't want to end up there!!! ok there were eventually quite helpful with me (Brit) and my wife (non-Brit) but the whole system there is a joke... obviously you could send your documents away to be processed, but I've had friends do this and not get there things returned for upto half a year!
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by ksct97
I would definitely recommend gettign the paperwork done outside the UK... there's three places in UK where the documentation can be done although it all ends up in Croydon, London... and believe me you don't want to end up there!!! ok there were eventually quite helpful with me (Brit) and my wife (non-Brit) but the whole system there is a joke... obviously you could send your documents away to be processed, but I've had friends do this and not get there things returned for upto half a year!

Actually for a year or so now you have to get the visa before you enter the UK (you cannot switch from visa to spouse inside the UK, that's if they let you in in the first place as a 'visitor' when you are actually coming to settle!)

It's quite quick and straightforward. The paperwork does not go to Croydon it is all processed the same day you apply if in person and you get the visa a couple of hours later the same day. If by post it takes 1 to 2 weeks start to finish. Nothing like US immigration.

The three British Consulates that issue settlement visas are LA, Chicago and New York. We www.britainusa.com for which one covers your state.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:07 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Squirrel
You might like to join the forum at www.americanexpats.co.uk, sort of like this site in reverse!
Excepy the want 15 dollars from you to join the forums.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally posted by g1ant
Excepy the want 15 dollars from you to join the forums.

It's $15 to join all the sections, but the 'general' and 'home office/immigration' sections are free to all. Try using just those sections and you can later pay for access to all sections if you think you'll like it.

At least there are no pop-ups!
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:48 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Squirrel
Actually for a year or so now you have to get the visa before you enter the UK (you cannot switch from visa to spouse inside the UK, that's if they let you in in the first place as a 'visitor' when you are actually coming to settle!)

It's quite quick and straightforward. The paperwork does not go to Croydon it is all processed the same day you apply if in person and you get the visa a couple of hours later the same day. If by post it takes 1 to 2 weeks start to finish. Nothing like US immigration.

The three British Consulates that issue settlement visas are LA, Chicago and New York. We www.britainusa.com for which one covers your state.

right, maybe that's the theory, but in practise it does take longer... then again depends on your national status... they (perhaps obviously) spend more time on those with non G14 nationalities it seems! especially from the so called third world countries. Anyway, the Croydon thing is true... can get it done that day, if you get an appointment... reaching the office/queue after 2pm... forget it!