Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Want more vacation time? Look at these jobs...

Wikiposts

Want more vacation time? Look at these jobs...

Old Aug 2nd 2008, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want more vacation time? Look at these jobs...

Originally Posted by pejpm1
I'm not going to get laid off...anyway, im on an l1b. If I had to leave my job i'd be on the first plane back to london whether i liked it or not
But hypothetically then, if you could stay, and was offered a job with 2 weeks off a year - would you consider it as an alternative to going back to the UK?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Then you're not in the same boat as most of us!

I went from 6 weeks vacation a year in UK to NONE here. I've had 4 days off in the past 5 years. No wonder I get cranky.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
But hypothetically then, if you could stay, and was offered a job with 2 weeks off a year - would you consider it as an alternative to going back to the UK?
Nope. I just could not imagine only having 2 weeks off. I'm not that madly in love with the country that I'd put myself through that. I dropped from 25 down to 20 when I moved over here which wasnt too bad as I'd only been on 25 days for a couple of months so hadnt really felt the benefit of it. I get 5 'sick days' off per year (I dont really understand that concept, some people seem to treat it as holiday) and 2 'personal days'..i havent taken those yet as I dont really get that idea either. If I need to go to the doctor for example they dont make me take a personal day...I dont really get the personal day concept. I'm on a local contract as well, everyone gets the same.

Most of Wall St are making 20 days standard now anyway. They want to attract the best talent and many Europeans arent willing to work for 10 or 15vacation days per year. Vacation time is an area that US employers really need to look at. I wouldnt mind betting that productivity would actually increase if firms gave people more time off. Why wouldnt you want your employees refreshed and more motivated?

Last edited by pejpm1; Aug 2nd 2008 at 8:15 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Then you're not in the same boat as most of us!

I went from 6 weeks vacation a year in UK to NONE here. I've had 4 days off in the past 5 years. No wonder I get cranky.
Why?? I honestly dont understand that. Would they let you take it off unpaid?
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Why?? I honestly dont understand that. Would they let you take it off unpaid?
Nah, my husband and I run our own business & I'm a tough boss

Seriously though, in our area about 5 days is about max vacation time for the first 5 years - that's if you can get a job. We give our employees a measly 5 days up to a max of 10 that they earn over 5 years & that's really good around here.
Yes, it's awful. I was riddled with guilt for the first year that we employed anyone but they see it as the norm.
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I simply wouldnt take a job that only offered 2 weeks vacation.
nice to be able to be picky...

The place I've just been sniffing up offers 2 weeks paid holiday, plus sick leave plus paid public holiday, but then they also fully pay the medical/dental/vision insurance, so it's a trade off I could live with...admittedly with a grumble
Old Aug 2nd 2008, 9:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... and 2 'personal days'..i havent taken those yet as I dont really get that idea either. If I need to go to the doctor for example they dont make me take a personal day...I dont really get the personal day concept. I'm on a local contract as well, everyone gets the same.
personal time is just holiday that you don't need to book in advance to get the time off, people use it to hang around for the cable guy or what not, that kind of stuff, or if the kids are sick.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
personal time is just holiday that you don't need to book in advance to get the time off, people use it to hang around for the cable guy or what not, that kind of stuff, or if the kids are sick.
really? thats weird, because whenever I've had to do that I havent had to take a day out of my personal allocation..although I guess because I live pretty close to work so I've never had to take a whole day..usually just a few hours in the morning or maybe leaving a few hours early. My employer are pretty cool in that sense.

Maybe it's a New York thing because I havent found attitudes towards vacation particularly different here. Like I say, I think some employers are realising that they have to be a bit more flexible to attract talent. Say your a brilliant Harvard Grad and you're looking to work in investment banking...you could go to New York and get 10 days (only after accruing it of course, and no time off for the first 6 months) vacation OR you could go to London and get 20 to 25 days for doing the same job. I was talking to someone from HR and she was saying that a lot of the 'global' organisations are realising that they need to improve to remain competitive. Maybe thats one of the reasons London has overtake NY as the financial capital.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I used to get 6 weeks as a fulltime, shift working nurse in australia.

Here, I get I think 17 days when I first started, but you can also buy more PTO, which I did to cover when I go to Australia. The issue for me is, even when you have the time, you feel guilty taking it, because the other staff have to pick up the slack when you're off.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I used to get 6 weeks as a fulltime, shift working nurse in australia.

Here, I get I think 17 days when I first started, but you can also buy more PTO, which I did to cover when I go to Australia. The issue for me is, even when you have the time, you feel guilty taking it, because the other staff have to pick up the slack when you're off.
don't feel guilty at all as they don't pay me for any days off.
Old Aug 3rd 2008, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Vacation time is an area that US employers really need to look at. I wouldnt mind betting that productivity would actually increase if firms gave people more time off. Why wouldnt you want your employees refreshed and more motivated?
Unlike the bus psycho argument on the other thread !, I do actually completely agree with you on this time off thing. I personally find it the worst thing about the US - even though some of your Wall Street guys may theoretically get 4 weeks off, I doubt very much they get to take it all without being frowned upon (as per Augigi's comment) .

The job I just started recently I got 3 weeks off the bat, and then goes up to 4 after 3 years, which for here is pretty good - but still a far cry off the standard 5 in the UK.