Want to go home to UK

Old Dec 8th 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of
Default Re: Want to go home to UK

Originally Posted by windsong
I would like to go back to teaching if I can but, if not, a high level executive assistant position (such as working for CEO) would be fine. Believe me, I would return today if I could but I need to plan as I have pets I am taking with me. Would never dream of leaving them behind. I love them and they are my family. Also, I have been hit by the bad economy - unemployment, etc. so I have to save money to get back and get settled.
I am also a UK Teacher moving back there from Canada.I have only been way for 5 months , I know you can do return to Teaching short course.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
I am also a UK Teacher moving back there from Canada.I have only been way for 5 months , I know you can do return to Teaching short course.
Hi Taichi:

Do you mean college teaching or night school? Any idea how can find the job openings? Maybe there are some specific web sites where they are listed. I am not going back for a 2-3 years yet but I am beginning the planning and would like to start watching the posts.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Taichi:

Do you mean college teaching or night school? Any idea how can find the job openings? Maybe there are some specific web sites where they are listed. I am not going back for a 2-3 years yet but I am beginning the planning and would like to start watching the posts.
Have you tried going on the Times Ed Web site (I think it is www.tes.co.uk ... but maybe you can Google it to check)? There is an online chat room (I think it's called The Staff Room) where you can post questions, and get answers from people who either work as teachers in the UK, or are returning from teaching overseas. I don't use it myself but have been told about it by my brother, who teaches overseas.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

taichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud oftaichiiqueen has much to be proud of

Hi Taichi:

Hi , I dont know the set up but if you make queries at local colleges and universities or even a website for Teachers.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/ - Teacher training site with lots of good links and info.You could contact them and explain your situation.

http://www.tes.co.uk/
An offshoot from the Times Newspaper, very good forums on it.The forums also have discussions about which agencies are the best.It helped me enormously.Also national job postings.

http://www.teachers.tv/
This will help you keep up to date with Education in the UK.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/
This is the National Curriculum site.A bit prescriptive but, they are staring to let Teachers have more flexibility in the classroom.

I don't know how much you know of the UK education system, but it has changed beyond recognition since I was at school.Some bad points there but mostly good, with it helping to raise standards.

Job openings are mainly local authority based, so if you search for the council of where you would move to, and look at their job pages.

Supply agencies tend to be good ways of getting back into Teaching:
Capita
Supply desk
Do a google on education supply agencies.

Anything else just shout!!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 1:12 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Love your attitude of adventure, Sally. I needed to be reminded of that. I've been getting quite morose this evening - memories flooding back and tunnel vision setting in. I need to remember I am going home to a "new" life not returning to the one I left behind which, aside from my university days, was not too swift at times. I had a good education and lived in a beautiful house but my parents argued all the time and eventually divorced. I need to remember that I am not going back to that.
It's hard not to mix up the past and the future I think. I was lucky to have a happy childhood but my dad passed away years ago and I miss him terribly. I have to remember that I'm not going back to him when I go home and I think sometimes I feel as though that's the case.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the impetus for you to go home? Are you homesick? I probably missed it in another post but it's so hard to keep up with everyone!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 2:12 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's hard not to mix up the past and the future I think. I was lucky to have a happy childhood but my dad passed away years ago and I miss him terribly. I have to remember that I'm not going back to him when I go home and I think sometimes I feel as though that's the case.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the impetus for you to go home? Are you homesick? I probably missed it in another post but it's so hard to keep up with everyone!
Or even the past and the present. It is really vital to ascertain what your motives are/what makes you want to move back. Even working out what it is that makes you feel good about returning will help clarify things.

Like you/other people have said, it is best to see it as a fresh start/new place/new situation. Then if anything about the past also makes you feel good, that's a bonus.

It can be kind of scarey but exciting and reassuring at the same time
Old Dec 8th 2010, 7:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Or even the past and the present. It is really vital to ascertain what your motives are/what makes you want to move back. Even working out what it is that makes you feel good about returning will help clarify things.
I've also found this important when making plans. For example, being close to my mum and my friends is my reason for going home. But then it's easy to get distracted looking at other parts of the country and thinking about how nice it would be to live there, or how cheap the houses are compared to where my family is. I have to stop, remind myself what's important, and get back on track.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

I honestly don't find it scary at all.In fact the opposite I'm so excited ..
Old Dec 8th 2010, 9:46 pm
Finally Home!

I think you quoted the wrong person - I'm not scared either!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taichiiqueen
Hi , I dont know the set up but if you make queries at local colleges and universities or even a website for Teachers.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/ - Teacher training site with lots of good links and info.You could contact them and explain your situation.

http://www.tes.co.uk/
An offshoot from the Times Newspaper, very good forums on it.The forums also have discussions about which agencies are the best.It helped me enormously.Also national job postings.

http://www.teachers.tv/
This will help you keep up to date with Education in the UK.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/
This is the National Curriculum site.A bit prescriptive but, they are staring to let Teachers have more flexibility in the classroom.

I don't know how much you know of the UK education system, but it has changed beyond recognition since I was at school.Some bad points there but mostly good, with it helping to raise standards.

Job openings are mainly local authority based, so if you search for the council of where you would move to, and look at their job pages.

Supply agencies tend to be good ways of getting back into Teaching:
Capita
Supply desk
Do a google on education supply agencies.

Anything else just shout!!
WOW!! Thanks SO much for this! I now have some resources for teaching jobs
Old Dec 8th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't want to grow old in America. It's a rat race here. It has almost bankrupted me. I have been homesick since the day I landed on U.S. soil. When I went home to Britain for a holiday in 89, I cried for three months when I came back. I instantly missed it when I came back here. I missed the way of life over there - the family unity. Granted I didn't have much family even then, but people care about each other over there. They don't here. Life in America is lived on a very shallow level. It has never been "me". I learned to adapt to it, taking the bits I liked and leaving the rest behind. I have always been true to my own beliefs and values and, as such, I spent most of my life here in the US alone. I don't mean physically alone. I mean alone at a "soul" level.

The day I left Edinburgh, the day I saw Princes St. for the last time, I was riding on a bus to the airport and I said to myself "Edinburgh, I promise you I will be back. I don't know when but I will be back."

The first week I was in the U.S., I met some young women - around my age at the time - we were driving in a car and I was mortified how "experienced" in life they seemed to be. No naivete at all. Very "womanly" for their age. No shyness, no reservedness - nothing. Very flippant about life, very shallow. At that moment I realized why I felt so ill at ease here. I told myself there and then "this country has no soul". I never forgot that moment and I believe that statement to this day.

That's why I want to go home. If I could afford to go right now, and my pets were prepped, I would leave tomorrow.

Ohh, I forgot to mention how my mother had a stroke 10 years ago and was on life support. By the time she got on life support, her insurance had run out. At the end of three months on life support the doctors "made" me take her off it. That's another reason. A pathetic, uncaring, ignorant medical system.

And another reason - Two years ago I applied for a loan modification on mortgage. I was approved. I received the final papers to sign but the escrow figures were wrong. The bank was asked to correct them before I signed. They didn't and six weeks later they sold my home. After they were asked to change the numbers, we never heard from them again. By "we", I mean the national organization that assisted with the loan modification and me personally. Neither of us heard from the bank. I am in the process of suing them.

What's at the bottom of both of these situations - money! The rich stealing from the poor. The corporations CEOs draining the companies of money etc. etc. It's all about money and I am sick of it.

These two reasons alone speak to me of the values upon which this country is based - no, not the original values on which it was based when it became the "united" states of America, but the values on which it is based today. I will have none of it. We only go around once in this world and "to thine own self be true".

I can probably think of another million reasons but I would be writing a book - and actually I may be doing just that anyway. I think I will call it "One Helluva Life in the USA!".

Footnote - I also carried a 7-month fetus size fibroid tumor for FOUR YEARS because I had no health insurance! I almost bled to death. It resulted in two blood clots - one in each lung AT THE SAME TIME! I am lucky to be alive.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 8th 2010 at 11:30 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Windsong I'm new to this forum, but I have to tell you that I couldn't agree with you more about the USA. I've been here 10 years and try as might I just cannot settle here. I don't know how to describe my feelings, other than a strong sense of not belonging. Every day I feel like I'm just going through the motions waiting for something to happen that will be the catalyst to my leaving this country. Sadly my DH who is a Brit has been here 20 years and has adopted America as his own country. I can't imagine being without him, but neither can I imagine spending the rest of my days here.

I wish the very best of luck when you return home.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Windsong I'm new to this forum, but I have to tell you that I couldn't agree with you more about the USA. I've been here 10 years and try as might I just cannot settle here. I don't know how to describe my feelings, other than a strong sense of not belonging. Every day I feel like I'm just going through the motions waiting for something to happen that will be the catalyst to my leaving this country. Sadly my DH who is a Brit has been here 20 years and has adopted America as his own country. I can't imagine being without him, but neither can I imagine spending the rest of my days here.

I wish the very best of luck when you return home.
Hi Beachgal. Thank you for understanding. I like the phrase "going through the motions". That's EXACTLY what I have been doing for 34 years, wondering when things would change. They never did and, in fact, they got far worse the last 10 years.

It must be very difficult for you when your husband likes this country. I wish I could think of something to suggest, other than to say that you ought to keep telling him your feelings - not so much your thoughts, but your feelings.

I have a test I continually do on myself. I imagine I am dead and someone is about to close the coffin lid on me. Before they do, in my mind I hold up the casket lid and look up around me and ask myself, "Did I live the life I wanted to live? Am I ready to go?" Each time, the answer is, please don't close the lid. I never lived my life! It is about -

- A waste of a life
- 34 years living a life in a place I did not want to live it
- A life of continually waiting to feel differently - maybe tomorrow will be different
- A life spent living on the edge
- A life spent feeling alone and "removed from"
- A lifetime of being homesick for the country I loved so much
- A lifetime of regret that I gave up the career I adored - teaching. (It's really not the same here as in the UK), wondering why I went to university, nevermind grad school, when I didn't follow the profession I trained for
- A life spent trying to develop the street smarts necessary to survive the rat race here
- A life spent being taken advantage of by those who were out for themselves and saw me as an easy target because I grew up as naive British middle class, educated woman - definitely not prepped for a life in the USA

and on and on . . .

When I arrived in the USA I felt like a Christian being fed to the lions!

Because of all these thoughts I end up in total tears because I never lived the life I was meant to live and am certainly not ready to have the lid closed on top of me forever. Once I live the life I feel I should live, then perhaps I would be ready.

The sad truth is the years have gone and won't come back. I can only look forward and try to change my life for the future.

I know this sounds depressing, but these are my true thoughts and feelings, and I hope in some way it helps you.

Last edited by windsong; Dec 9th 2010 at 1:35 am.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 1:56 am
Finally Home!

Thanks for the answer windsong - I hear everything you say. When I came here, I believed in the American dream. Ha!

I have been very fortunate so far - touch wood - but your story is exactly the reason I can't feel at home here. It is just wrong for a country to treat people the way the US does. I don't mind paying higher taxes if it means we're all taken care of when we fall on hard times. I really don't. And I don't get the selfishness that is inherent in the American way of thinking ("I've got mine and I don't want to help anyone else").

I had an epiphany a few years ago when I realized that the US is one giant money-making machine. Every single thing is set up so that someone can make a profit - usually at the expense of the majority of Americans. And that majority doesn't vote or watch the news, so they have no idea what is being done to them. It's sad and depressing. I want out.
Old Dec 9th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the answer windsong - I hear everything you say. When I came here, I believed in the American dream. Ha!

I have been very fortunate so far - touch wood - but your story is exactly the reason I can't feel at home here. It is just wrong for a country to treat people the way the US does. I don't mind paying higher taxes if it means we're all taken care of when we fall on hard times. I really don't. And I don't get the selfishness that is inherent in the American way of thinking ("I've got mine and I don't want to help anyone else").

I had an epiphany a few years ago when I realized that the US is one giant money-making machine. Every single thing is set up so that someone can make a profit - usually at the expense of the majority of Americans. And that majority doesn't vote or watch the news, so they have no idea what is being done to them. It's sad and depressing. I want out.
Strong ditto from me on all of those thoughts, Sally. The truth began to dawn on me 10 years ago but in the last couple of years, I have seen it clearly - oh SO clearly! Like you, I want out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.