Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Waiver of international student fees?

Wikiposts

Waiver of international student fees?

Old Jul 1st 2010, 3:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waiver of international student fees?

Originally Posted by JAJ
Point c. is easy ... a country under a de-facto foreign occupation has to obey the orders of its foreign masters.

As for the rest, the extreme alternative is to allow any British citizen free university tuition, even those from the Overseas Territories and those who have never lived in the UK. Current UK policy is at the other extreme. Perhaps there would be a more reasonable middle ground, like the rules for "in-state" tuition in many US states.

Affording it would be easy if we saw a reduction in the number of funded university places anyway. There is absolutely no need to fund 50% of young people through university.
This sounds like a much more fair idea too me. Here you have to show proof of being a state resident for a year (and a legal US resident, student visa pays international fees) before you can get in state tuition.
It seems to really penalize UKC teens who finally get the choice to move home on their own when the parent don't want to move back. It leaves those teens stranded abroad.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Well, folks, a little update on this thread. I talked with Registry last week and they have decided to allow the student to pay home fees! I am really chuffed for her as she is a deserving case (and has paid international fees for 6 years already).

At graduation, she talked with the university Principal and he told her to send him an email if things didn't work out, so even if registry said no, we may have had a fallback position.

I couldn't believe how they told me though, slowly telling me the story about the meeting to decide, blah, blah, blah and then EVENTUALLY saying "So we decided that she should pay home fees". I wanted to yell at her "Why didn't you just say that first???" I swear some people love being in a position of power and milk it for all it's worth.

Anyway, it all ended happily.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:37 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, folks, a little update on this thread. I talked with Registry last week and they have decided to allow the student to pay home fees! I am really chuffed for her as she is a deserving case (and has paid international fees for 6 years already).

At graduation, she talked with the university Principal and he told her to send him an email if things didn't work out, so even if registry said no, we may have had a fallback position.

I couldn't believe how they told me though, slowly telling me the story about the meeting to decide, blah, blah, blah and then EVENTUALLY saying "So we decided that she should pay home fees". I wanted to yell at her "Why didn't you just say that first???" I swear some people love being in a position of power and milk it for all it's worth.

Anyway, it all ended happily.
That's great news. 6 years of International fees is riducules isn't it.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 5:23 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
That's great news. 6 years of International fees is riducules isn't it.
I know. I can (almost) understand the point of view that returning expats should pay international fees, but it seems that years spent paying int'l fees should count towards ordinary residence, so 3 years max.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Brit86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I'm a British citizen who was born overseas, but I have now returned to complete a post-graduate masters in Britian. On my application I stated that my country of residence is the UK, and gave my Aunty's address as my home address.

My application was accepted and the university classified me under home-fee status.

After reading this discussion I have become worried that I may be charged at the international rate!?

Would the University do further checks regarding my residency status over the past three years, even though they have already classified me under home fees? Or could I just 'slip under the radar' after paying the home-fee rate?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:07 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Brit86
Hi,

I'm a British citizen who was born overseas, but I have now returned to complete a post-graduate masters in Britian. On my application I stated that my country of residence is the UK, and gave my Aunty's address as my home address.

My application was accepted and the university classified me under home-fee status.

After reading this discussion I have become worried that I may be charged at the international rate!?

Would the University do further checks regarding my residency status over the past three years, even though they have already classified me under home fees? Or could I just 'slip under the radar' after paying the home-fee rate?

Any thoughts / suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers
Basically, if you have only recently returned to the UK after growing up overseas, you have made a false statement on your application.

At some point, this could come up (if, for example, you have to undergo a criminal background record check for a research project, you'd have to state that your prevous address was overseas). There are all sorts of other situations in which your previous address(es) might come up - every time this happens, do you want to have to second-guess whether you should tell the truth or not?

Just out of interest, where did you complete your undergraduate education?

Last edited by dunroving; Aug 8th 2010 at 12:47 am.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:05 am
Just Joined

I made it very clear in my application that I had completed my undergrad degree in New Zealand, and also worked in Australia the past two years before coming to the UK.

I even had to supply a copy of my New Zealand degree to complete the application.

Regardless of all this I was still granted home-fee status..

I am currently residing in the UK which is why I stated that on my application.. but have only been here a few months!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 12:27 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I made it very clear in my application that I had completed my undergrad degree in New Zealand, and also worked in Australia the past two years before coming to the UK.

I even had to supply a copy of my New Zealand degree to complete the application.

I am currently residing in the UK which is why I stated that on my application.. but have only been here a few months!
My experience of this is that I visited 3 universities with my son last month. Each one was very clear in telling us that as our son will not have been resident in the UK for 3 years prior to enrolling, that he would not be able to be awarded the Home Fees rate.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:36 am
Ping-ponger

It may be that someone in Registry made an error, or it may be that the university has a very relaxed attitude to home fees (unlikely). More than likely, someone in Registry saw you had ticked "UK resident" and assumed that you meet the residency criterion.

Essentially, you should be paying international fees unless you meet the 3 years "ordinarily resident" criterion (which you clearly don't).

You have at least two options as far as I can see:

Option 1: Don't say anything, and hope that your residency doesn't come up in some other way, and/or if it does, that the university does not take the view that you fraudulently claimed home fees status. I would not be surprised if there is some footnote in the application process that explains the ins and outs of residency, and wouldn't be surprised if the wording is something along the lines of "ordinarily resident", rather than simply where do you live currently. Claiming ignorance or misunderstanding won't wash for someone who is studying at postgrad level. Also, this could fall under the category of academic dishonesty, which has serious implications.

Option 2: Call Registry and ask to speak to someone in a supervisory position. Explain clearly your situation/history, and ask if the decision to classify you as a home student was correct/intentional (and hope the answer is yes). If it is the latter, ask for the person's name and email address, send a follow-up email asking for an affirmative reply ("Yes, you should be receiving home fees status"), and keep this written record in case it is questioned at some point in the future.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:39 am
Just Joined

In the end I wrote to the registery office and explained the situation; I was given a fee status questionaire and failed this based on the three year residency rule..

So my fees have just gone from £5500 to £16000! Looks like I will have to pull out, as I also don't qualify for a student loan from Directgov, which is also due to the three year residency rule!

It's a real shame that european residency has become more important than British Citizenship (since they can get the 'home' rate just by living in the EU) so a 'fresh off the boat' Polish, Estonian and even German can come straight to the UK and study at the home fees rate.

Then in turn the poor old New Zealanders and Australians get 'dragged over hot coals' just to get a two year work visa. Thanks Britian! Our history is too easily forgotten.

Sorry just had to vent some frustration! haha
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:46 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

No worries, there are many that feel your frustration
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame that european residency has become more important than British Citizenship (since they can get the 'home' rate just by living in the EU) so a 'fresh off the boat' Polish, Estonian and even German can come straight to the UK and study at the home fees rate.

Then in turn the poor old New Zealanders and Australians get 'dragged over hot coals' just to get a two year work visa. Thanks Britian! Our history is too easily forgotten.
The unfortunate reality is that British citizenship is not worth what it once was, and being under the authority of EU masters (more like an occupied than a free nation) is a large element of the reason.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The unfortunate reality is that British citizenship is not worth what it once was, and being under the authority of EU masters (more like an occupied than a free nation) is a large element of the reason.
It's a trade-off with some benefits to UK residents.

It would be nice if my son could get home rates in the UK but I also understand the reasons why he won't. We moved to a country outside the EU of our own free will.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:27 am
Ping-ponger

In the end I wrote to the registery office and explained the situation; I was given a fee status questionaire and failed this based on the three year residency rule..

So my fees have just gone from £5500 to £16000! Looks like I will have to pull out, as I also don't qualify for a student loan from Directgov, which is also due to the three year residency rule!

I agree with much of your viewpoint, but wanted to be sure you didn't end up halfway into your course before someone landed a bombshell on you.

Hopefully this has happened for a reason that will become clearer with time.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
NHS is always free for a British citizen living in the UK. Always.
Not always (I've been meaning to reply to this thread for ages).

Are you a UK state pensioner spending more than 3 months living outside the United Kingdom?

Under the current Regulations, anyone who spends more than 3 months living outside the UK is no longer automatically entitled to free NHS hospital treatment in England. However, people in receipt of UK state retirement pensions who have lived in the UK for at least 10 continuous years at some point in the past remain entitled for certain levels of coverage. The extent of coverage depends on where outside the UK you live, and how long you live there.
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/E...able/DH_074384

I couldn't find anything in there that said you are exempt because you have a British passpost; unless i missed it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.