British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Waiting that 7 months for PETS to qualify for transport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/waiting-7-months-pets-qualify-transport-549867/)

islandergirl Jul 18th 2008 10:16 pm

Waiting that 7 months for PETS to qualify for transport

I have another 7 months to go here, and could do with some words of wisdom on how people handled that wait as I can't put my pets through quarantine (waiting to return Aus to UK).

How did/do people cope knowing that they were going but having to keep quiet about it, and still function normally in Aus (or wherever) for that time?

I had thought that I was kind of disengaging, and was "above" stressing out about my life here but this week has been a shocker, and I won't last another 7 months of this (new boss = bitch from hell, home life not exactly cheery).

Is there anything that helps? Already on anti-depressants.

vicki t Jul 19th 2008 4:32 pm

Re: Waiting that 7 months for PETS to qualify for transport

poor u. would it be possible for u to move back and get someone in oz to look after your dog/cat and do all the paperwork and jabs then send them on in 7 months? i know its quite a bit to ask of someone but if they are an animal lover you may be lucky?

peanut21 Jul 20th 2008 12:42 am

We will be in a similiar postion to you if our bloody house ever sells. Our Yorkie cant travel until the 10th of October. I cant put her in quarentine here as she is so small and has never been in a cage before inside or out. I am hoping someone will offer to care for her so we can book her in for the day she is allowed to travel. As yet I havent found anybody to do that:(

I am just getting by thinking time will pass and it will be summer again soon.

Scout Jul 20th 2008 10:23 pm

I was luckier than most......my Company announced that the company had been sold and everyone's jobs would be going within a year.........I was doing the happy dance all over the place and making plans for our move while everone else was worried about where they would look for jobs.......I just took the redundancy and ran........did I feel guilty? Nope....it couldn't have worked out better for us if we had planned it that way. We were planning the move back and hoping my company would be sold.....and it was.

We had known for several years that they were shopping the company around so it wasn't like it was a shock to anyone.

islandergirl Jul 20th 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks everyone, until last week I thought I could manage the wait okay, haven't really told many people here of my plans but was starting to look forward to the return from exile. Then more dramas with the OH job situation and my job turning to cr*p.
I might be able to go a few weeks early depending on what is happening with my rel'ship but can't go now, we still have our house here and it needs to be sold, and all the stuff rationalised as well, so that will probably take a few months I guess.

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Jul 22nd 2008 6:41 pm

I'd concentrate on your post move life, if people back here know you are coming home using those lines of communication and support will be critical. If not, I would tell them.

The only other thing I can suggest is take it one week at a time. It will clock up quicker than you think.

mattmc Jul 23rd 2008 10:06 am

Please can somebody explain to me how I can get my cat back to the UK without going through 6 months quarantine. I think I have read this is possible but I cannot find the exact details.
He came out from the UK 18 months ago.

thanks in advance
Matt

Tootsie Frickensprinkles Jul 23rd 2008 10:18 am

He needs a PET passport - search should bring you up tons of answer threads on the process. Series of Rabies vaccines and titre tests for the most part.

TruBrit Jul 23rd 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mattmc (Post 6601200)
Please can somebody explain to me how I can get my cat back to the UK without going through 6 months quarantine. I think I have read this is possible but I cannot find the exact details.

thanks in advance
Matt

hi matt....check the link out, you can also contact DEFRA via email or phone. i have contacted them a few times and they are always most helpful.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

chugo101 Jul 27th 2008 9:35 am

Hi do you have any ideas on how much it is to ship a dog back? we have a labrador and I'm interested to know what we'd need to expect to pay to ship her back. I looked online and found that its only Qantas who offer the PETS service but it didn't have any mention of cost? We bought her over here so she's an aussy lab. (if that makes a difference)

Thanks

Dondy Jul 27th 2008 10:31 am

If it helps, when we moved over here we had decided to leave my beloved pampered 14 year old reclusive persian behind for my Mum to look after.

2 months later Mum died unexpectedly and my cat moved in with my sister (who didn't want her). We didn't want to put her through quarantine but I missed her so much and she had nowhere else to go. A cat lover will understand she was truly "my cat" - no-one else got a look in. She was timid with everyone but me.

I took the risk and flew her over. She did well in quarantine and when she arrived she was a different cat. She was more confident and relaxed around people. Sadly she only lived another 8 months but I am so glad that 8 months was with me.

Quarantine were fantastic with her so please don't let that stop you.

cooksdownunder Jul 28th 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by chugo101 (Post 6615163)
Hi do you have any ideas on how much it is to ship a dog back? we have a labrador and I'm interested to know what we'd need to expect to pay to ship her back. I looked online and found that its only Qantas who offer the PETS service but it didn't have any mention of cost? We bought her over here so she's an aussy lab. (if that makes a difference)

Thanks

Try www.jetpets.com.au, very competitive cost wise.

cooksdownunder Jul 28th 2008 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mattmc (Post 6601200)

thanks in advance
Matt

You can't avoid quarantine, your pet needs a passport, one option if you can't stand the 6 month wait in Oz, is 28 days after the blood test results for rabies you can arrange to enter France with your pet, arrange your passport there, still have to wait the 6 months from blood test date to enter UK, we've done this and know several others who have, closer to UK and friends and family can visit, you can pop back to UK for a couple of days and do some organising if nice friends/family come over to look after pet, this helped us greatly last year. Loads of accomodation availalbe which accepts pets.