Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Old Jul 13th 2018, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

My recollection is that you must have worked for a period and paid full Nat Ins to be allowed to pay Voluntary Contributions.. Ask them. Overseas Branch at Longbenton/
Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dossier
I thought anyone (in the UK) could start paying voluntary Class 3 NICs if they are not working + over 16? There's nothing in the CA5603 application to suggest otherwise?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ons_CA5603.pdf
Check this is you are contemplating applying and are living outside of the UK and have no employment record in the UK. They are quite specific if you are living abroad.
https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

valspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond reputevalspal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi i already posted but its not showing so excuse me if its a double>

I have 7 years and have arranged for future direct debits. I also want to pay for past 3 years as lump some or 3 payments whichever is appropriate. Some of you have said that you just sent a check; what address do you send it to?
I cannot get into my bank account due to not being able to reset it without a UK phone number.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valspal
Hi i already posted but its not showing so excuse me if its a double>

I have 7 years and have arranged for future direct debits. I also want to pay for past 3 years as lump some or 3 payments whichever is appropriate. Some of you have said that you just sent a check; what address do you send it to?
I cannot get into my bank account due to not being able to reset it without a UK phone number.
you can contact them from overseas using the address and phone numbers shown on the following website

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

To buy past credits you have to apply and be approved, then you will be given the amount to pay and a unique reference number to put on the Cheque or bank payment. It is some years back that I did mine but I completed an application, mailed it in, and some weeks/months later got a letter back with the cost and reference number.

my wife did her application online last year then received a letter but also had to call them to get that unique reference number to make the back payments.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jul 22nd 2018 at 8:48 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

labmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by labmonkey
Thanks a lot. I sent the form off a couple of hours before you replied, so hopefully all is ok. Or there will be a frantic few posts from me in a few weeks/months time!

Will definitely read through this forum in the coming months. I imagine that there's a lot of knowhow here. All the British ex-pats I know in person are as clueless as (or worse than) me.

Thanks again to everybody.
Hello again. Thanks for all of the help given in this thread. It took about six months and a little correspondence, but I just received the news that they accepted my application to pay voluntary class 2 contributions. My direct debit is set up to pay for future years, but I am a little unsure how to pay for the previous years and hope somebody here can clear it up for me. The letter I received contained a breakdown of the years that I can buy and a link to this page www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance. I don't have a cheque book any more, so I want to pay by BACS from my UK bank account. The information for this is halfway down this page www.gov.uk/pay-class-2-national-insurance/bank-details. So, do I just need to transfer money to the account name, number, and sort code listed on that page with a reference in the style of " QQ123456AICJONESA "? Is that it? Do they then send me a receipt? Do I need to write them a letter to inform them of my payment, or is it all worked out automatically?

Lastly, should I sum up the total amount for all the missing years and transfer this as one payment? Or should I make separate payments for each year? (It's 9 years I am paying.)

Thanks again.

Edit: Apologies, but this forum won't let me post html links until I have made a few more posts.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I paid I just used my National Insurance Number. It is a unique number and identifies you clearly.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

When my wife went through this last year and had the direct debits set up for future payments we had to call them to ask about the back payments. The guy on the other end asked how much we wanted to pay then waited while I put my calculator to work to add up the totals from the individual years that she had been quoted in the letter and he then gave her a reference number which we put on the BACS payment we subsequently made. It then took over 2 months to appear online.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:09 am
Just Joined

labmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all.

@scot47, the reference number I quoted in my previous message ( QQ123456AICJONESA ) is NI number plus name and initial. That's what the website asks for, although the letter says "As an overseas customr you'll need to quote your National Insurance number when sending any payments to us. Please do not quote any other reference shown on our correspondence...." So, do you remember if you used only your NI number, or the NI number plus name and initial? Did you send a letter as well? Did they send any kind of confirmation?

@durham_lad, So, did I understand that correctly that in the end you made a single payment to cover all of the years? Also, hopefully I don't need to phone up. It cost me a fortune the last time I had to phone the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by labmonkey
Thanks all.

@scot47, the reference number I quoted in my previous message ( QQ123456AICJONESA ) is NI number plus name and initial. That's what the website asks for, although the letter says "As an overseas customr you'll need to quote your National Insurance number when sending any payments to us. Please do not quote any other reference shown on our correspondence...." So, do you remember if you used only your NI number, or the NI number plus name and initial? Did you send a letter as well? Did they send any kind of confirmation?

@durham_lad, So, did I understand that correctly that in the end you made a single payment to cover all of the years? Also, hopefully I don't need to phone up. It cost me a fortune the last time I had to phone the UK.
Yes, a single payment was all that was needed to pay all the back payments. What caught us by surprise when we phoned was the person not knowing how much this was so we had to add up all 11 years from the letter she had. (I know that 11 years back contributions is unusual but we never asked why).

When I paid my 7 years back contributions some years ago we were still living in Texas and I never made any phone calls at all, I did it by letter, and remember including a photo copy of the letter they had sent to me along with a physical check for the back payments. I paid 7 years because it was in February so it was current year plus 6 back years.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know if one can continue with voluntary contributions if they return to the UK as a resident?
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beraider
Anyone know if one can continue with voluntary contributions if they return to the UK as a resident?
Definitely yes. You may have to switch from class 2 to class 3 if you are giving up an overseas job.

I was already retired and paying class 3 when I returned and the direct debits didn’t skip a beat. That was 2 years ago.
Old Sep 27th 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Beraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond reputeBeraider has a reputation beyond repute

Well thats good to know, thanks Durhamlad,