Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

Old Feb 12th 2018, 7:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance payments - How?

I thought you had solved the mystery as to why they allowed me to pay class two when I read It may be possible to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions (Class 2 if you’re self-employed or possibly if you’re living abroad) because nothing on the HMRC website said I could just by living abroad. But that pensions advisory site goes on to say
The NICs that you can pay voluntarily are normally Class 3 contributions, but if you're self-employed or working abroad, you can pay Class 2 contributions instead.
I was never self employed in the UK or here and never worked here. Yet they confirmed I could make up my missing three years by paying class 2. Maybe they just like the cut of my jib.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

goslar1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this is the correct forum but... My son is returning to UK in March 2018 to finish his degree. He emigrated to Australia when he was 15-so never had a N.I. #. On his return, how does he receive a N.I #? I'm thinking about registering with a Dr , and he will look for work whilst he is in the UK. Any info? Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goslar1961
Not sure if this is the correct forum but... My son is returning to UK in March 2018 to finish his degree. He emigrated to Australia when he was 15-so never had a N.I. #. On his return, how does he receive a N.I #? I'm thinking about registering with a Dr , and he will look for work whilst he is in the UK. Any info? Thanks
My son went through this last year. Your son will need to apply for a NINO online then attend an interview at a Jobcentre+ after he has arrived. NINO is not required to register with a GP and get a NHS number, and a NINO is not required to get a job. My son began applying for jobs as soon as he arrived and after his interview at the Jobcentre+ was given a letter to provide to employers to prove eligibility to work. His NINO arrived by post a couple of weeks later.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

There is every chance he already has one but had no reason to have been notified of it.

I can't recall when - somewhere around late 1980s maybe? - but new- borns were allotted NINOs as a result of child benefit applications, so if someone (you?) got child benefit for him he probably has a NINO already.

Not technically a lost NINO but this section still applies.

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Old Feb 19th 2018, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

NINO issuance is tied to Child Benefit payments.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

goslar1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi durham_lad, BristolUK and scot47, Thanks for your replies, my son posted a form, CA5403 on 24 Jan to UK-still awaiting a reply. If no reply, then I'll give them a ring about his NI number.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi durham_lad, BristolUK and scot47, Thanks for your replies, my son posted a form, CA5403 on 24 Jan to UK-still awaiting a reply. If no reply, then I'll give them a ring about his NI number.
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I thought you had solved the mystery as to why they allowed me to pay class two when I read It may be possible to pay voluntary Class 3 National Insurance contributions (Class 2 if you’re self-employed or possibly if you’re living abroad) because nothing on the HMRC website said I could just by living abroad. But that pensions advisory site goes on to say

I was never self employed in the UK or here and never worked here. Yet they confirmed I could make up my missing three years by paying class 2. Maybe they just like the cut of my jib.
Question to whomever has similar circumstance :

My understanding was that to be eligible to pay catch up contributions for past 6 or 10 years ( mine shows some 8 years ago that I can still pay,I don't know why), one had to either had been working in UK for three years prior to leaving or have paid in 3 years NI contributions. I meet the second condition, though my first job was in UK. If one wishes to file to have some years classified as Class 2, what documentation needs to be submitted ?

The other question I have is my understanding one has to pay a full year to get credit, so if one worked half a year abroad, is it worth filing for that year for class 2 contributions ?

Thanks if anyone can let me know.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I sent them a cheque in November and Feb 8th letter they asked me what was it for????
So make it 100% clear which year its for and what its for. Seems they don't read the file and previous letters they sent me advising amounts to send. Thats HMRC by the way.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
I sent them a cheque in November and Feb 8th letter they asked me what was it for????
So make it 100% clear which year its for and what its for. Seems they don't read the file and previous letters they sent me advising amounts to send. Thats HMRC by the way.
Did you quote the reference number they gave you?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course AND NI number.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I did business with Longbenton on my NI Conts some years ago when it was all done by airmail. I was surprised. they were slow but efficient.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

riri2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update.

Today is six weeks since I sent almost £1000 to an account at HMRC after confirming with a staff member on the phone. Nothing has shown up on my account so I called them yesterday.

They confirmed that they had received the payment, but it has been allocated to this year's NI payments. That is also the reason my Direct Debit for future payments (and why this month's payment wasn't taken) has been cancelled.

I had to tell the guy the exact amounts to the exact years as he didn't seem to have any reference of the letter which was sent out to me. He has now asked the relevant team to try and fix the problem and will send more letters out to confirm.

Guys, this is a long process, to please be aware that if you send a relatively big amount of money, be ready for some panic checking of you online account over several weeks.

Last edited by riri2010; Mar 20th 2018 at 1:11 am.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by riri2010
Just a quick update.

I had to tell the guy the exact amounts to the exact years as he didn't seem to have any reference of the letter which was sent out to me. He has now asked the relevant team to try and fix the problem and will send more letters out to confirm.

Guys, this is a long process, to please be aware that if you send a relatively big amount of money, be ready for some panic checking of you online account over several weeks.
I echo this advice. I even sent exact amounts to match the specific years in the letter they sent me, no go. You have to call them and tell them what amount to apply to what year. In some cases I got confirmation letters, in others nothing. Best way is to monitor the following site periodically and verify that the payments have been posted correctly; note that the updates take a little while to show up. I must add that they are very helpful on the phone.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension
Old Mar 20th 2018, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Exp76
I echo this advice. I even sent exact amounts to match the specific years in the letter they sent me, no go. You have to call them and tell them what amount to apply to what year. In some cases I got confirmation letters, in others nothing. Best way is to monitor the following site periodically and verify that the payments have been posted correctly; note that the updates take a little while to show up. I must add that they are very helpful on the phone.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-your-state-pension
Exactly my experience with both myself and my wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.