Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Nov 27th 2016, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
That kind of my question,. I may be getting consulting income from outside the UK, may be doing some work online. So it just seemed maybe Class 3 easier to pay as I did before, as I am not sure how to classify myself.
Because it is so much less, I would try for Class 2. The worse that can happen is that they refuse and you end up paying Class 3. In my case, we had a small business, but all I sent as proof was a business card.
Old Nov 28th 2016, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth View Post
Because it is so much less, I would try for Class 2. The worse that can happen is that they refuse and you end up paying Class 3. In my case, we had a small business, but all I sent as proof was a business card.
Thanks .
Old Nov 28th 2016, 9:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
That kind of my question,. I may be getting consulting income from outside the UK, may be doing some work online. So it just seemed maybe Class 3 easier to pay as I did before, as I am not sure how to classify myself.
That's why I left it to them.

They are fully aware of my employed status in the UK (the DWP themselves, as it happens) right up to when I left the UK so definitely no s/e in the UK.

Looking at the form CA5603, I note it asks about non employment as well as unemployment periods.

It's almost as if non employment qualifies for the lower rate while unemployment doesn't. That or they're being nice to me coz I worked for them.
Old Dec 5th 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

boingboing is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, new to this board.

Recently got a pension forecast from the Government's Gateway and finally found out what additional contributions I need to make to get the new full state pension.

I worked freelance overseas in the country I still live in and applied for Class 2 NI contributions which continued until I reached 30 years contribution when I stopped the payments, that was about 9 years ago. Now to get the new state pension in full I need 8 more qualifying years due to the contracted out element when working in the UK. Since 2006 I have been working full-time for the same employer and no longer on a freelance basis. I want to recommence the Class 2 contributions and have the relevant application form.

My question is can I definitely apply for Class 2 contributions and not the more expensive Class 3? I also intend to pay for the last 6 years missed payments as allowed so again will that be Class 2 NI contributions?
Old Dec 7th 2016, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off topic but relevent.
I've received the UK OAP for some years but they sent a letter to my address asking to reply that I'm still alive. I'm on holiday for winter and the letter was waiting at home.
They have now cancelled my pension payments.
I had the letter couriered to me, then had it notarised I'm still alive, and registered it back.
It was tracked as received.... back in Sept but, so far, my pension has not been paid.

I just wondered if this delay is normal. What would be the best way to follow-up...I tried phoning but no-one answers and email is not acknowledged. I could send another registered letter but they haven't dealt with the previous.
Any advice.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita View Post
I've received the UK OAP for some years but they sent a letter to my address asking to reply that I'm still alive. I'm on holiday for winter and the letter was waiting at home.
I had the letter couriered to me, then had it notarised I'm still alive, and registered it back.
It was tracked as received.... back in Sept but, so far, my pension has not been paid.

I just wondered if this delay is normal. What would be the best way to follow-up...I tried phoning but no-one answers and email is not acknowledged. I could send another registered letter but they haven't dealt with the previous.
Any advice.
A bit of a cheek on their part...pensioners may well be abroad at times for extended periods. I would write again, post registered, enclosing a copy of your previous letter and stating you are still waiting for your pension to be reinstated. Keep copies of everything ...

Try phoning a lot too, someone might answer one day!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boingboing View Post
Hi, new to this board.

Recently got a pension forecast from the Government's Gateway and finally found out what additional contributions I need to make to get the new full state pension.

I worked freelance overseas in the country I still live in and applied for Class 2 NI contributions which continued until I reached 30 years contribution when I stopped the payments, that was about 9 years ago. Now to get the new state pension in full I need 8 more qualifying years due to the contracted out element when working in the UK. Since 2006 I have been working full-time for the same employer and no longer on a freelance basis. I want to recommence the Class 2 contributions and have the relevant application form.

My question is can I definitely apply for Class 2 contributions and not the more expensive Class 3? I also intend to pay for the last 6 years missed payments as allowed so again will that be Class 2 NI contributions?
I think you are only eligible for class 2 if you are self employed and possibly filing an annual tax return with that section completed. you may need to re register as self employed if you do any additional consultancy work, even if small in value, or teaching english etc...
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329 View Post
A bit of a cheek on their part...pensioners may well be abroad at times for extended periods. I would write again, post registered, enclosing a copy of your previous letter and stating you are still waiting for your pension to be reinstated. Keep copies of everything ...

Try phoning a lot too, someone might answer one day!
I'm not sure why you think it is cheek. It is perfectly reasonable as a fraud prevention measure. I know that private pension plans do this also. Surely anyone away for an extended period would make arrangements for their mail to be forwarded or monitored by someone.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
I'm not sure why you think it is cheek. It is perfectly reasonable as a fraud prevention measure. I know that private pension plans do this also. Surely anyone away for an extended period would make arrangements for their mail to be forwarded or monitored by someone.
I certainly don't think it wrong to check and I doubt Angie meant that either.
What I was asking was how to contact when they have not responded nor paid me......and it's been nearly 3 months since my registered mail was delivered.
However, I didn't respond to them for 3 months and that's why they suspended payments....they didn't get any "I'm alive!" message so presumed I'd expired.
Maybe I'll wait till the actual 3 months to my pension payment date is up......them take Angies advice and send another registered message and try the phone...it's just an expensive call when on hold for 'one of our representatives..... who's busy.' Do they only have one?

BTW I spend winters in Bali and the mail is not reliable...they lost my tax slips last year and it took me forever to get copies. Now I get my neighbour to take a pic and attach to email...that works.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly don't think it wrong to check and I doubt Angie meant that either.
What I was asking was how to contact when they have not responded nor paid me......and it's been nearly 3 months since my registered mail was delivered.
However, I didn't respond to them for 3 months and that's why they suspended payments....they didn't get any "I'm alive!" message so presumed I'd expired.
Maybe I'll wait till the actual 3 months to my pension payment date is up......them take Angies advice and send another registered message and try the phone...it's just an expensive call when on hold for 'one of our representatives..... who's busy.' Do they only have one?

BTW I spend winters in Bali and the mail is not reliable...they lost my tax slips last year and it took me forever to get copies. Now I get my neighbour to take a pic and attach to email...that works.
I assume you are aware of these contact methods, including an on-line enquiry link towards the top, but just in case:
https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
Old Dec 7th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic View Post
I assume you are aware of these contact methods, including an on-line enquiry link towards the top, but just in case:
https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
I didn't have that contact info and I've been receiving the OAP for 14+ years, but never had an issue with them.
That's the kind of info I was hoping for so thank you very much MidAtlantic... appreciated.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I didn't have that contact info and I've been receiving the OAP for 14+ years, but never had an issue with them.
That's the kind of info I was hoping for so thank you very much MidAtlantic... appreciated.
Happy to help. I hope you can convince them that you are alive and you get your pension again
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I tried phoning but no-one answers and email is not acknowledged. I could send another registered letter but they haven't dealt with the previous. ....
That's hardly surprising when you're already dead.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
That's hardly surprising when you're already dead.
You are so right. They request a notary or someone of importance to verify you are alive but provide NO facility to say you're dead....they just make a presumption...now THAT is cheeky....
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Any advice.
FYI, for anyone or future reference

My wife & I each have received the 'are you still alive' letter twice in the first 3 years we began collecting state pension.

The first one we filled in & mailed, no issues

The second one 18 months after the first one ' I immediately called' 44 (0) 191 218 7777 the overseas pension service line asking 'why are you sending this request again?

Person on the other end mentioned about fraud etc & just to make sure since many folks change address or pass on & we at DWP are not notified.

The agent then proceeded to ask again to confirm who I was, DOB, NI number, address etc. Responded with a 'OK records updated & confirmed', but please mail in the letter anyway.

Passed the phone over to my wife, same Q&A

Last edited by not2old; Dec 8th 2016 at 4:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.