Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voluntary National Insurance contributions

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Current year plus 6 previous years I think. When I paid my back years I thought they had allowed 7 years but I applied about this time of year (before April) so was able to effectively pay 7 years in arrears.
You must be eligible to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions for the time that the contributions cover.

You can usually only pay for gaps in your National Insurance record from the past 6 years.

You can sometimes pay for gaps from more than 6 years ago depending on your age.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

My post, that you quoted, answered exactly that question - I am paying Class 2, and will do until next year. I think I have to be employed, not self-employed to qualify for Class 2.
Living and working abroad Class 2 - but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for 3 years in a row or paid 3 years’ National Insurance

Living abroad but not working Class 3 - but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK continuously for 3 years or paid 3 years of contributions

Old Feb 10th 2017, 5:57 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
It appears I was credited NI contributions while I was doing A-levels. Should the same have happened with time spent at Uni?
Hi Mrken, I was just looking into this: the NI people told me that you don't get credits while in education over the age of 18, but what you clearly got during A-Levels was the Juvenile NI credits, which were abolished in 2010. These were (or should have been) automatically credited to everyone in full-time education and not working between the ages of 16-18, before 2010.

Could I ask when you did your A-Levels? I did mine in the 1990s, but I don't have the years credited. I phoned the NI line and was told to write snailmail to NICEO. I did so, adding the address and phone number of the school where I did my A-levels, so I shall have to wait a few weeks to hear back.

Anyone else had any luck getting the juvenile NI credits from the ages of 16-18 retroactively credited toward their total?
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elgin1983
Hi Mrken, I was just looking into this: the NI people told me that you don't get credits while in education over the age of 18, but what you clearly got during A-Levels was the Juvenile NI credits, which were abolished in 2010. These were (or should have been) automatically credited to everyone in full-time education and not working between the ages of 16-18, before 2010.

Could I ask when you did your A-Levels? I did mine in the 1990s, but I don't have the years credited. I phoned the NI line and was told to write snailmail to NICEO. I did so, adding the address and phone number of the school where I did my A-levels, so I shall have to wait a few weeks to hear back.

Anyone else had any luck getting the juvenile NI credits from the ages of 16-18 retroactively credited toward their total?
I did mine in the late 80's. I do remember vaguely getting a letter about NI, but I think that was about voluntary contributions. I may have contacted them to say I was in full time education at that time. I had a summer job and had paid some NI.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 6:14 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Living and working abroad Class 2 - but only if you worked in the UK immediately before leaving, and you’ve previously lived in the UK for 3 years in a row or paid 3 years’ National Insurance

Living abroad but not working Class 3 - but only if at some point you’ve lived in the UK continuously for 3 years or paid 3 years of contributions

About getting Class 2, I think it's most important that you've lived in UK and paid 3 years of NI contributions and were working up till you left.

I left over 10 years ago, and my first job overseas was at a small company in a non-first world country which has long since closed down. Realistically, there would be no way for me to prove that I worked there directly after leaving the UK.

However, when I phoned NI up and asked to be switched to Class 2 from their initial assessment of Class 3, the guy on the phone just took my word for it and switched me over there and then. I was then eligible to buy back every year from 2006-07 onwards at Class 2 rates, which I did.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:17 am
Just Joined

Tzar is an unknown quantity at this point

I am filling out form CF83 to pay national insurance contributions from abroad (the US).

I have a question about employment in the US. I changed jobs 3 times since I moved to the US in 2011. In 2011, I had about 5 months of unpaid leave (unemployment) when I was between jobs. I didn't come back to the UK or claim any UK benefits whilst I was unemployed.

I understand I am supposed to attach a separate sheet, list my US employees, their addresses and employment dates.

Question: what difference does changing jobs and being unemployed make when it comes to paying UK national insurance contributions? Can I still pay class 2 contributions for 2011 and other years even though I had 5 months of employment gap in 2011? Before leaving the UK, I was employed and paid NI contributions for more than 3 years.

Last edited by Tzar; Mar 23rd 2017 at 3:19 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I had forgotten about the employment requirement. I have never been asked again since I applied 2 or 3 years ago. The money just comes out as a direct debit. Should I be telling them that I am still in employment?
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tzar
I am filling out form CF83 to pay national insurance contributions from abroad (the US).

I have a question about employment in the US. I changed jobs 3 times since I moved to the US in 2011. In 2011, I had about 5 months of unpaid leave (unemployment) when I was between jobs. I didn't come back to the UK or claim any UK benefits whilst I was unemployed.

I understand I am supposed to attach a separate sheet, list my US employees, their addresses and employment dates.

Question: what difference does changing jobs and being unemployed make when it comes to paying UK national insurance contributions? Can I still pay class 2 contributions for 2011 and other years even though I had 5 months of employment gap in 2011? Before leaving the UK, I was employed and paid NI contributions for more than 3 years.
The Class 2 v Class 3 decision is based on your employment status immediately before and after you leave the UK. A subsequent period of unemployment doesn't change things.

Them's the rules, I have no idea why!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, Pulaski.

Immediately after I left the UK, I started working in the US and was employed for 2.5 months, then unemployed for 5 months, then employed again from 2012 to present.

Do you know if there is a minimum continuous employment period requirement after leaving the UK, to qualify for class 2 contributions? I'm worried that 2.5 months of employment wouldn't be enough.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tzar
Thanks, Pulaski.

Immediately after I left the UK, I started working in the US and was employed for 2.5 months, then unemployed for 5 months, then employed again from 2012 to present.

Do you know if there is a minimum continuous employment period requirement after leaving the UK, to qualify for class 2 contributions? I'm worried that 2.5 months of employment wouldn't be enough.
I am not aware that continuity is an issue, and one long-established member of BE reported that he was unemployed when he first arrived in the US and was still approved for Class 2 contributions. .... Complete the form honestly, keep your fingers crossed, and there is a good chance that you will be approved for Class 2.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The question is what you were doing BEFORE you left the UK and relates solely to that. If in doubt best to contact NI Overseas. I found them competent at answering very complex inquiries
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm really debating how much it is really worth to pay NI. I will now be 68 before I can claim any pension. When I first started work, private pensions could be taken at age 55 and State pension was 65. The people selling private pensions were selling that it was a realistic possibility to retire at 55. The goal posts keep moving. If you die before taking any pension your kids get nothing.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No guarantees in this business ! The good die young !
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by scot47
No guarantees in this business! The good die young!
On the other hand miserable old ßästards hang around to haunt BE during their dotage.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 23rd 2017 at 5:15 pm.
Old May 18th 2017, 3:15 am
Just Joined

I sent my CF83 form in March, requested to pay class 2 contributions, gave my UK bank details for direct debit, etc. Still no reply. No debits from my account, no direct debit instructions added, no changes to my NI profile on the website.

Should I call them to follow up? Is it normal to wait more than 2 months for a reply?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.