British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Visiting UK whilst Application Pending (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/visiting-uk-whilst-application-pending-945923/)

Gullible Oct 26th 2022 3:26 pm

Visiting UK whilst Application Pending

Would my husband (USA) be able to visit me (UK) for Christmas for 3 weeks (return tickets) on a visitors visa if he has an application for a spousal visa being currently processed and currently under review at the decision making centre?

Thank you

Pulaski Oct 26th 2022 4:52 pm

Re: Visiting UK whilst Application Pending

Does your husband need a visa to visit the UK? ... Most US citizens do not need a visa to visit the UK under normal circumstances.

That said, yes, someone can visit the UK while an immigration visa application is being processed.

Gullible Oct 26th 2022 7:10 pm

I just meant the rubber stamp he gets in his passport..its a visa right?

Thanks for info.

Gullible Oct 26th 2022 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13150634)
Does your husband need a visa to visit the UK? ... Most US citizens do not need a visa to visit the UK under normal circumstances.

That said, yes, someone can visit the UK while an immigration visa application is being processed.

Can you tell me where I find that info so I can show him?

I have looked on the goverment website but been unable to find anything...im probably using the wrong search terms.

Pulaski Oct 26th 2022 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gullible (Post 13150688)
Can you tell me where I find that info so I can show him?

I have looked on the goverment website but been unable to find anything...im probably using the wrong search terms.

I don't think there's anything I can point to, because in the English-speaking world, laws are written to prohibit what is not allowed, and you are free to do anything that is not prohibited. So all I can say is that visiting the UK while a visa application is in progress is not prohibited.

And no, the stamp in his passport is not a visa, that's an entry stamp. The UK allows visa-free entry (explicitly "no visa required") to citizens of many countries, including the US. :)

Gullible Oct 27th 2022 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13150710)
I don't think there's anything I can point to, because in the English-speaking world, laws are written to prohibit what is not allowed, and you are free to do anything that is not prohibited. So all I can say is that visiting the UK while a visa application is in progress is not prohibited.

And no, the stamp in his passport is not a visa, that's an entry stamp. The UK allows visa-free entry (explicitly "no visa required") to citizens of many countries, including the US. :)

Ah, thank you for taking the time to clarify.

DerekB1972 Oct 27th 2022 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Gullible (Post 13150617)
Would my husband (USA) be able to visit me (UK) for Christmas for 3 weeks (return tickets) on a visitors visa if he has an application for a spousal visa being currently processed and currently under review at the decision making centre?

Thank you

Sorry to slightly off topic but how has he managed to get his passport back, my partner in the USA would have liked to do this while waiting but we've been told she can't have her passport back without withdrawing the visa application :/

Thanks
Derek

BritInParis Oct 29th 2022 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Gullible (Post 13150771)
Ah, thank you for taking the time to clarify.

Bear in mind that if your husband is in the UK when his spouse application is granted then it would be considered null and void.

spouse of scouse Oct 29th 2022 1:53 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 13151109)
Bear in mind that if your husband is in the UK when his spouse application is granted then it would be considered null and void.

:goodpost:

Gullible May 13th 2023 5:28 am

HI DerekB1972,

We did the application online and went through each step and didnt come across anything that said to send off the passport whilst doing the application. We have since been asked to send it in and our application is on hold until they receive it. Obviously we got that wrong and I think we have been lucky that we didnt get penalised for not sending the passport in earlier. I have been looking back at the information available and it looks like we should have applied online AND mailed in the application along with the passport etc which is something we didn't understand we should have done. We interpreted it as apply online OR apply by post!! Hopefully we get a decision soon. Good luck with yours.

Gullible May 13th 2023 5:37 am

I am pretty sure this is where we went wrong

Mail your application

Once your appointment confirmation letter is stamped at the ASC, you will have 5 days to mail this, your application form, current passport, UPS return shipping label, and any supporting documents (if you haven’t uploaded them online) to: