Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

Old Mar 20th 2008, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

Originally Posted by TaraC
I'd gladly pay them money not to have to go through anything like that again. It is incredibly painful. I remember my nan going through it in her 70s - never thought it would hit in my 30s but it is apparently quite common.

Pollyanna: so sorry to hear about your eyes. I got off lucky, just a bit of scarring, so I'm really sorry it hit you so hard.
Yes as SB stated that is because kids are being given the varicella vaccine (in the US) shingles has become more prevalent.

My point was that instead of thinking, hey this is a real problem let's perhaps review the varicella vax, the makers have seen it as another way of making money by stating they should be vaxing shingles. There is a vax for it already available to the over 60's. I'm not unsympathetic to your suffering or of Pollyana's, my mum had it too and I know how bad it can be.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

Ah, that made that clearer to me. The kidlet had the chicken pox and was pretty sick from it, but had no lasting damage besides some scars. The Netherlands doesn't vaccinate against it.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

Okay only had a brief look through this thread but what if the child in question had appendicitis or sepsis Vomiting can be a first sign of both... then imagin being on a plane 4 1/2 hour either way from landing...
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Yes as SB stated that is because kids are being given the varicella vaccine (in the US) shingles has become more prevalent.

My point was that instead of thinking, hey this is a real problem let's perhaps review the varicella vax, the makers have seen it as another way of making money by stating they should be vaxing shingles. There is a vax for it already available to the over 60's. I'm not unsympathetic to your suffering or of Pollyana's, my mum had it too and I know how bad it can be.

I never had the vaccination and got it anyway, so I don't know if there's a real correlation there. Everything I've read is that shingles can be induced by stress and the reason it's becoming so prevalent in people in their 30s is the increasing stress levels. It hit me when I was flying back and forth trying to plan my wedding in the UK, selling my house to move to Virginia, trying to finish jobs etc etc., so that explanation worked for me.

I'm no lover of pharms, but in this case I'd be happy never to get shingles again!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I never had the vaccination and got it anyway, so I don't know if there's a real correlation there. Everything I've read is that shingles can be induced by stress and the reason it's becoming so prevalent in people in their 30s is the increasing stress levels. It hit me when I was flying back and forth trying to plan my wedding in the UK, selling my house to move to Virginia, trying to finish jobs etc etc., so that explanation worked for me.

I'm no lover of pharms, but in this case I'd be happy never to get shingles again!
This may explain it better than me:

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=12896
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Nice link, it is explained well there.
Of course my question is where did they get the death stats from? Chicken pox deaths are due to lung problems (the lungs get infected). But I bet that the shingles deaths were people who died WITH not because of shingles.

I like the idea of exposure to chicken pox kidlets being like a mini-booster.

I don't like seeing 2 week old babies with chicken pox - maybe that's why some (older) people say that babies shouldn't leave the house until they are a few (six?) weeks old.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
- maybe that's why some (older) people say that babies shouldn't leave the house until they are a few (six?) weeks old.
After asking women about this in Greece, Mexico, Spain and all the C American countries I've been to that practice this custom... I think it's more a case of 'don't get attached.. just in case'.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
After asking women about this in Greece, Mexico, Spain and all the C American countries I've been to that practice this custom... I think it's more a case of 'don't get attached.. just in case'.
Oh. I hadn't thought of that.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Oh. I hadn't thought of that.
Well, the Greeks say it's so the baby doesn't get the evil eye from anyone (it's bad form there to coo over babies.. the gods might get jealous).
Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article. Is the US doing mandatory CP vaccines now? All five of my nieces and nephews - born and bred in the US - have had CP, the last one just a couple of years ago, so I'm wondering if the vaccine is a new thing.

I have to say since being back in the UK, I've noticed a lot more reticence on the part of the docs here to not medicating, especially with antibiotics. Their approach seems to be working. I had a terrible ear ache last year, combined with bronchitis. My US doc would certainly have given antibiotics, but the one here asked if I would just take pain pills and wait it out - so I did. It passed after a week of Night Nurse and feeling miserable, and I haven't been sick at all in the three months since. Considering I'm hanging out with 80 students from all corners of the earth, I think that's pretty remarkable (especially as I had a transatlantic flight in the middle of the term, which would normally see me coming down with a cold). Seriously wondering if the UK doctors may have a point with all this.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely the stress thing with me - got it just after I emigrated to Aus, think I'd been here about 4-5 months....

We didn't even realise what it was at the time, just thought it was a fever, stress from emigrating and having a kr*p job, and really badly infected eczema, shingles never even occured to me - or to the doctor that gave me a sick note for work
When I realised my eyes were getting worse and worse I went to an optician, saw an eye consultant, none of them ever mentioned a possibility of shingles, just gave me glasses.
Then two years later I was visiting my niece when she caught chicken pox, and my sister was looking some stuff up on the net, which included info on shingles........and described exactly what I'd been through, and mentioned eye damage. When I next saw the optician he agreed it was probably shingles, and the doctor should ahve spotted it and got treatment for my eyes at the time.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JEM3110
Don't tell me, children should be seen and not heard right?

Travelling with young children is stressful enough, as it is, without having fellow passengers tut-tutting in your ear all the time!
To be fair, these particular children were jumping up and down in their seats, and caused an adult to spill drink over herself. I was no angel as a kid but I know I understood how to behave in public - even when I was very young (because I've been told so )

[Later edit: oops, just saw this was a relatively old post - Just ignore me, I'll catch up eventually!]

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 27th 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:51 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Twigstar
Not at all I have 4 of my own and have in the past had terrible flights with them screaming non stop. My point was about misbehaved, not crying children

I can see that point I wouldn't let my children do that and not say anything! its different when they are just upset and every thing you try doesnt work add that to being on a plane stress city alright