British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/virgin-atlantic-wont-let-our-friends-fly-cos-their-little-boy-sick-522428/)

cybersecretary Mar 17th 2008 4:01 pm

VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

Friends right now are at LHR, ready for their flight out here, little boy thrown up in departures, probably due to travel sickness, and they wont let them fly!!

they have to travel back home (round trip of 300 miles) get a doctors certificate and "try again tomorrow"!!!

GMM2003 Mar 17th 2008 4:09 pm

Re: VIRGIN ATLANTIC: wont let our friends fly 'cos their little boy sick!

Originally Posted by cybersecretary (Post 6074593)
Friends right now are at LHR, ready for their flight out here, little boy thrown up in departures, probably due to travel sickness, and they wont let them fly!!

they have to travel back home (round trip of 300 miles) get a doctors certificate and "try again tomorrow"!!!

I can understand Virgin Alantic reasoning.

bevinva Mar 17th 2008 4:13 pm

You would think there would be a doctor at Heathrow for this type of thing.

cybersecretary Mar 17th 2008 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 6074640)

I wish there was one, at least they would know one way or the other. Have heard from friends and they do think it might be a bug, so who knows when they will be able to travel.

fatbrit Mar 17th 2008 4:18 pm

That's why you take out travel insurance.

basementwaj Mar 17th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by cybersecretary (Post 6074646)
I wish there was one, at least they would know one way or the other. Have heard from friends and they do think it might be a bug, so who knows when they will be able to travel.

i kinda agree with VA. You keep hearing about the cruise liners that have to go into quarentine cos 1 passenger has spread a bug to 500.

I know if i got sick from a passenger on a plane i would be v v upset.
I would pay extra for tickets for an airline that doesnt let kids travel if they look like they may cry or be a pain in the arse!

Ozzidoc Mar 17th 2008 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by bevinva (Post 6074640)

There is a Dr at Heathrow. I dont know how to contact him/her though.

cybersecretary Mar 17th 2008 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc (Post 6074663)
There is a Dr at Heathrow. I dont know how to contact him/her though.

I just hope it doesnt ruin their trip. Its very bad luck.
==================
PS - they only way to avoid children is to fly on a private jet - lucky you!

Ray Mar 17th 2008 4:27 pm

http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/

cybersecretary Mar 17th 2008 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 6074696)

Thank you Ray. I have called them and let them know, although I think they are going home.

Folinskyinla Mar 17th 2008 4:42 pm

Hi:

It seems that Virgin Atlantic is on its toes. The saga of Andrew Speaker is not all that far in the past -- although the problem there was Speaker himself and later government FUBAR's. Until that incident I had had an history of excellent encounters with Canoe U. grads.

cybersecretary Mar 17th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla (Post 6074753)
Hi:

It seems that Virgin Atlantic is on its toes. The saga of Andrew Speaker is not all that far in the past -- although the problem there was Speaker himself and later government FUBAR's. Until that incident I had had an history of excellent encounters with Canoe U. grads.

I have no idea what you are talking about (further exposure for derision on this site). Whats all this about?

penguinsix Mar 17th 2008 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by cybersecretary (Post 6074779)
I have no idea what you are talking about (further exposure for derision on this site). Whats all this about?

Andrew Speaker
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_tuberculosis_scare

The 2007 tuberculosis scare occurred when Atlanta personal-injury lawyer[1] Andrew "Drew" Speaker[2] (dubbed the 'TB Guy' by major American news organizations) flew from the Atlanta, Georgia to Paris, France and then returned on a flight from Prague, Czech Republic to Montreal, Canada, when he crossed over the border and back into the United States while infected with multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention believed at the time that Speaker was suffering from extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB). The incident sparked a debate in Congress on the failure of federal customs agents to stop him.[2] Upon Speaker's return to the United States, the CDC placed him under involuntary isolation (similar to quarantine) using a provision of the Public Health Service Act.[3] With this action, Speaker became the first individual subjected to a CDC isolation order since 1963.[4]

TruBrit Mar 17th 2008 5:25 pm

fyi... Andrew Speaker....http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/Sto...3231184&page=1

virgin atlantic took the right action imo.

Ray Mar 17th 2008 5:27 pm

Don't worry ..when Mr F speaks ..we often scratch our heads ....