Virgin Atlantic - Pets

Old Nov 5th 2004, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Virgin Atlantic - Pets

Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much Virgin Atlantic is going to charge us to ship a 65 pound dog from Orlando to Gatwick? They won't give me an estimate without the dimensions of the crate which I don't plan on buying until next spring. I don't need an exact figure..........I just want to find out if she is going to cost more than us to fly?

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:30 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Atlantic - Pets

Originally Posted by Scout
Anyone have a ballpark figure as to how much Virgin Atlantic is going to charge us to ship a 65 pound dog from Orlando to Gatwick? They won't give me an estimate without the dimensions of the crate which I don't plan on buying until next spring. I don't need an exact figure..........I just want to find out if she is going to cost more than us to fly?

Cheers,

Leslie

Hi Scout. I cant help you as I'm not that far yet. Just had my two dogs microchipped this morning. But as you are getting figures, dont forget that just outside of Orlando is Sanford. Brittania and a few others are on the list now from Sanford to Gatwick. It gives you more options. We will be getting estimates from both as Virgin is supposed to be really good but very expensive. I think the others may have a better price but I'm wondering how they are in regards to how well they treat your pet. That will be the most important for us but if the others have good pet programs it may be cheaper, and a quieter airport as well.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
Hi Scout. I cant help you as I'm not that far yet. Just had my two dogs microchipped this morning. But as you are getting figures, dont forget that just outside of Orlando is Sanford. Brittania and a few others are on the list now from Sanford to Gatwick. It gives you more options. We will be getting estimates from both as Virgin is supposed to be really good but very expensive. I think the others may have a better price but I'm wondering how they are in regards to how well they treat your pet. That will be the most important for us but if the others have good pet programs it may be cheaper, and a quieter airport as well.
Good thought calle. My brother lives in Lake Mary right outside of Orlando so we plan on driving down from Atlanta the day before we leave. I have heard good things about Virgin Atlantic with pets. Bad things about British Air and nothing about any of the others. Hopefully those that have gone before us will weigh in with some advice and thoughts.

Oh Btw, don't be shocked next month when they do the titer test for rabies and send it off to Kansas. It's gonna cost ya about $150 a pop.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 5th 2004, 4:52 pm
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thought calle. My brother lives in Lake Mary right outside of Orlando so we plan on driving down from Atlanta the day before we leave. I have heard good things about Virgin Atlantic with pets. Bad things about British Air and nothing about any of the others. Hopefully those that have gone before us will weigh in with some advice and thoughts.

Oh Btw, don't be shocked next month when they do the titer test for rabies and send it off to Kansas. It's gonna cost ya about $150 a pop.

Cheers,

Leslie

Hi.I was under the impression that all pets arriving in the UK from the USA had to arrive at Heathrow and that is why most people returning with pets from Florida left from Miami with BA or Virgin.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by IN THE YEAR 2525
Hi.I was under the impression that all pets arriving in the UK from the USA had to arrive at Heathrow and that is why most people returning with pets from Florida left from Miami with BA or Virgin.

My husband spoke with DEFRA this morning and they told him Orlando to Gatwick which is also what the Virgin Atlantic customer service rep told me as well. I do know that Orlando is approved to fly out of. I don't think we are limited to flying into Heathrow.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:06 pm
Banned

Hi.I also spoke with a Brit moving company in Miami yesterday,the owner informed me that he had some connections with Virgin in Miami and he could confirm that he knew of 4-5 brit families per month were returning to the UK with pets.Virgin have informed me that to fly our dog back would cost approx $450 he is a datschun.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi.I also spoke with a Brit moving company in Miami yesterday,the owner informed me that he had some connections with Virgin in Miami and he could confirm that he knew of 4-5 brit families per month were returning to the UK with pets.Virgin have informed me that to fly our dog back would cost approx $450 he is a datschun.

Oh lord................if it cost $450 for a dachsun, how much of my life am I gonna have to sign away for 65 pounds of fluffy collie mix??? :scared:

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Nov 5th 2004, 5:13 pm
Banned

Oh lord................if it cost $450 for a dachsun, how much of my life am I gonna have to sign away for 65 pounds of fluffy collie mix??? :scared:

Cheers,

Leslie
Hi,good to hear that it may not have to be Miami.I suppose the $450 they quoted us is cheaper than 6 months quarentine.Best of luck,I will find out more regarding airport departure and post.Best of luck.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,good to hear that it may not have to be Miami.I suppose the $450 they quoted us is cheaper than 6 months quarentine.Best of luck,I will find out more regarding airport departure and post.Best of luck.

Virgin Atlantic flies pets out of the US to the UK from:

Boston
Los Angeles
Miami
New York-JFK
New York-Newark
Orlando
San Francisco
Washington

There's other cities on the approved routes, but Virgin Atlantic does not fly out of any but the above.
Old Nov 5th 2004, 10:14 pm
Banned

Virgin Atlantic flies pets out of the US to the UK from:

Boston
Los Angeles
Miami
New York-JFK
New York-Newark
Orlando
San Francisco
Washington

There's other cities on the approved routes, but Virgin Atlantic does not fly out of any but the above.

Hi,thats great information.I will leave from Orlando.Best of luck.