Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Virgin Airlines/Pet/TaraC? Questions

Wikiposts

Virgin Airlines/Pet/TaraC? Questions

Old Nov 15th 2007, 2:50 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Virgin Airlines/Pet/TaraC? Questions

I talked to Virgin Cargo the other day and got quite a reasonable quote of $658 from Miami to Heathrow plus the 230 GBP handling fee at the UK for my pup to fly with them, and I had some questions. I'm hoping TaraC will be able to read this as I know she flew with them recently.

It specifies on the crate specs that no part of the animal's body should be able to protrude through the bars. My dog has teeny feet and she is able to get them through the bars at the front. I can't seem to find a crate with smaller grating at the front. I'll also be needing another crate for her when we fly as she's just 1 inch shy of the top of her hear touching the roof, and she can't have less than 2 inches of room. Which leads to another question...do the mean her head itself or the tops of her ears? She's like a gremlin and has huge uncropped ears!

Another worry I have is water. I really can't stand the thought of her water spilling out of the dish and her having no access to more, so I wanted to use one of those hamster type bottles and secure it to the outside of the door. I know one poster here had done that for their cats, but I was wondering if TaraC had done the same and was allowed to do so by Virgin? I know I can always freeze water in the dish, but then I'll be worrying that it'll shrink, she'll try to eat it, and choke on it. I'm so paranoid!

Lastly, (for now!) for those who have flown with a pet through Virgin, what was your experience like? I've been very satisfied when travelling with them alone in the past, but this is the first time I've ever really owned a dog for so long, and I've certainly never flown with one. How do you settle your worries without driving the entire airline staff mad with your constant requests for reassurance about the pet? (I know I'll be wanting to do this, but I'll try to refrain somehow!)
Old Nov 15th 2007, 5:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Airlines/Pet/TaraC? Questions

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
I talked to Virgin Cargo the other day and got quite a reasonable quote of $658 from Miami to Heathrow plus the 230 GBP handling fee at the UK for my pup to fly with them, and I had some questions. I'm hoping TaraC will be able to read this as I know she flew with them recently.

It specifies on the crate specs that no part of the animal's body should be able to protrude through the bars. My dog has teeny feet and she is able to get them through the bars at the front. I can't seem to find a crate with smaller grating at the front. I'll also be needing another crate for her when we fly as she's just 1 inch shy of the top of her hear touching the roof, and she can't have less than 2 inches of room. Which leads to another question...do the mean her head itself or the tops of her ears? She's like a gremlin and has huge uncropped ears!

Another worry I have is water. I really can't stand the thought of her water spilling out of the dish and her having no access to more, so I wanted to use one of those hamster type bottles and secure it to the outside of the door. I know one poster here had done that for their cats, but I was wondering if TaraC had done the same and was allowed to do so by Virgin? I know I can always freeze water in the dish, but then I'll be worrying that it'll shrink, she'll try to eat it, and choke on it. I'm so paranoid!

Lastly, (for now!) for those who have flown with a pet through Virgin, what was your experience like? I've been very satisfied when travelling with them alone in the past, but this is the first time I've ever really owned a dog for so long, and I've certainly never flown with one. How do you settle your worries without driving the entire airline staff mad with your constant requests for reassurance about the pet? (I know I'll be wanting to do this, but I'll try to refrain somehow!)
Can't you buy some fine netting and attach it to the openings so she won't be able to put her paws through?

You need to use a bottle for the drinking water...buy one now and put it into her crate so that she gets used to drinking from it and is also familiar with the crate.

Don't know for sure but I would think the height means the top of the dogs head. I know they are supposed to have enought room to stand and turn around.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:36 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't you buy some fine netting and attach it to the openings so she won't be able to put her paws through?

You need to use a bottle for the drinking water...buy one now and put it into her crate so that she gets used to drinking from it and is also familiar with the crate.

Don't know for sure but I would think the height means the top of the dogs head. I know they are supposed to have enought room to stand and turn around.
I'd thought of some sort of mesh to put over the door, but wasn't sure if that was allowed or how I would attach it without her being able to mess with it. Luckily, she's already used to crates, as I've used one since she was tiny, and she likes it in there. The bottle thing will be interesting to watch, though. Whenever she sees something new or unusual, she'll stretch her neck and get her head as close as she can without touching it but within sniffing distance, and her legs are way behind her. So amusing!

I just tried to measure her for a new crate, and she's a 'mare. She thinks I'm playing and runs all over the place! There's never anyone but me in the apartment, so having someone help with her is hard to do. I think a lot of patience is in order! I would normally just guess her size, but this is too important to screw up.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 6:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd thought of some sort of mesh to put over the door, but wasn't sure if that was allowed or how I would attach it without her being able to mess with it. Luckily, she's already used to crates, as I've used one since she was tiny, and she likes it in there. The bottle thing will be interesting to watch, though. Whenever she sees something new or unusual, she'll stretch her neck and get her head as close as she can without touching it but within sniffing distance, and her legs are way behind her. So amusing!

I just tried to measure her for a new crate, and she's a 'mare. She thinks I'm playing and runs all over the place! There's never anyone but me in the apartment, so having someone help with her is hard to do. I think a lot of patience is in order! I would normally just guess her size, but this is too important to screw up.
Mine do exactly the same when they are curious about something...it's so funny.

Is a handling company shipping her? If so ask them about the mesh...if not ask Virgin...they must have had this problem before.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:16 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Mine do exactly the same when they are curious about something...it's so funny.

Is a handling company shipping her? If so ask them about the mesh...if not ask Virgin...they must have had this problem before.
I'd considered a handling company, but aside from the (probably) higher cost, I'd be too worried about her to put her in someone else's hands for that long. It's hard enough knowing that other people will be looking after her for as long as they are when we fly, but I think the handling company situation would make me even more nuts, so I'd like to take her myself.

I think you're right, I should really ask Virgin. I might email them and ask all my other questions, as well, that way, if I get a response in writing, I have some back up on the day.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the IATA regulations, effectove Oct 2007: http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/5F7...4th_Cont_1.pdf

- they actually don't seem very specific re: dimensions ... and I got caught out by British Airways in 2006, telling me the crate I'd used (with them!) in 2001 and 2000 was now too small ... so, I'd definitely contact the airline to ask, after all they are the ones you ultimately have to satisfy.

Never simple, is it? :curse:
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:21 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Virgin Airlines/Pet/TaraC? Questions

I just called my friend whom is moving from New Jersey to return home to Sydney to ask her where she is getting her dog crate from.

She told me that she has just ordered an (IATA approved) airline crate and dog crate flooring from this company online:

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/dog_crates/sky_kennel.htm
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:27 am
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I just called my friend whom is moving from New Jersey to return home to Sydney to ask her where she is getting her dog crate from.

She told me that she has just ordered an (IATA approved) airline crate and dog crate flooring from this company online:

http://petsafe-warehouse.com/dog_crates/sky_kennel.htm
Oh, you are a star!!!!!!!! These look perfect for what I need. The front grill looks smaller, also. I may have to go one size bigger that I suspected, though, as last night, I was finally able to measure her (kind of....) and she's either 15 or 16 inches tall . I'd need to get the 19 inch one so she has plenty of headroom. I'll just put a nice big blanket in there to pad out the sides and length.

Thanks again, that link is great!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:36 am
Former Floridian

Ooooooh boy, am I p****d!!! I just called the company in the link, and the medium crate doesn't have a carrying handle, only the small one does. :curse: It's vital that it has one, as I can't carry her, a suitcase, and hand luggage without it. Very silly that that particular size doesn't have one. So bummed, that crate was perfect. Ah well, off to the pet store!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 3:00 am
Former Floridian

Ooooooh boy, am I p****d!!! I just called the company in the link, and the medium crate doesn't have a carrying handle, only the small one does. :curse: It's vital that it has one, as I can't carry her, a suitcase, and hand luggage without it. Very silly that that particular size doesn't have one. So bummed, that crate was perfect. Ah well, off to the pet store!

Gahhhhhhh!! I think I may cry at any moment! I just looked around a few more places, and saw pics of a medium one with a handle. I then called the manufacturer Petmate, and they confirmed that the medium one DOES have a handle. Panic over, phew!!!!!

EDIT: Just put in my order, and I should be getting the new crate within the next few days. Woo hoo!!!! Now I can call Virgin at some point and give and exact price for her travel cost.

Last edited by katesbackagain; Nov 16th 2007 at 3:52 am.