Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

Wikiposts

VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:04 am
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice
Question VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

I know there is info somewhere here, but I can't seem to quickly find what I need.

Here's the situation:

I should be able to move to the UK within 3-6 months. My little dog is due for his rabies vaccine now. Actually, since I don't really believe in yearly rabies shots, I try to just skip a year when possible. But he needs to go in for grooming and possibly some doggie day care, so he has to get his shots now. And I do NOT want to, nor do I think I will need to, give him another rabies shot closer to the time I will be leaving.

If I understand things correctly, since the change on Jan. 1, 2013, he simply has to have it no sooner than 21 days before traveling, and the international chip has to be placed before the shot. I don't think they require any titers to be done anymore.

Please tell me, if you know FOR SURE, if I need to have the vet do anything else right now. Does he need to fill out any forms re: the chip and the shot? How long do I have AFTER getting the rabies shot and new chip to leave and not do it all over again? What other paperwork is required just before traveling and where do I get it?

I want to bring him to the vet today or, more likely tomorrow , so if anyone can give me good, accurate info now I would be so grateful.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VET / rabies shot / Microchip info QUICK PLEASE!

Originally Posted by sile
I know there is info somewhere here, but I can't seem to quickly find what I need.

Here's the situation:

I should be able to move to the UK within 3-6 months. My little dog is due for his rabies vaccine now. Actually, since I don't really believe in yearly rabies shots, I try to just skip a year when possible. But he needs to go in for grooming and possibly some doggie day care, so he has to get his shots now. And I do NOT want to, nor do I think I will need to, give him another rabies shot closer to the time I will be leaving.

If I understand things correctly, since the change on Jan. 1, 2013, he simply has to have it no sooner than 21 days before traveling, and the international chip has to be placed before the shot. I don't think they require any titers to be done anymore.

Please tell me, if you know FOR SURE, if I need to have the vet do anything else right now. Does he need to fill out any forms re: the chip and the shot? How long do I have AFTER getting the rabies shot and new chip to leave and not do it all over again? What other paperwork is required just before traveling and where do I get it?

I want to bring him to the vet today or, more likely tomorrow , so if anyone can give me good, accurate info now I would be so grateful.

Thanks.
I've talked with the govt vet and with my vet about this so hopefully this is right:

You have a year since the last (post-microchip) rabies shot to arrive in the UK.

No you don't need anything else right now - just make sure the vet does the microchip before the rabies shot, and that you get certificates for both. The vet fills in the form just before you travel, when you take your dog back for tapeworm treatment, and then the govt vet office rubber-stamps the form.
No titres any more for some countries - where are you?

You can download the forms online (just google) but check your own country's animal export advice too - for instance animal health in Canada provided me with a dutch&english version of the form (for transit through NL on way to UK).

I hope that makes sense. What kind of dog? Are you flying direct into UK and paying cargo fees, or landing in mainland europe first?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the situation:

Thanks.
Yes, the vet has to be one that is USDA certified for the rabies shot before travel. He also must fill in certain animal export forms. My regular vet was not able to do it but gave me the name of the local USDA vet. If your dog is already microchipped, all you need is the rabies shot. If not, he can perform both on the same visit as the chip must be inserted first. Then you are eligible to leave in 21 days as blood titers are no longer required. The vet will be able to tell you about the worming etc., immediately before leaving. Where I live, our rabies vaccination is valid for three years and sadly in other areas of the country, it is only valid for one year, so it gave me three to stay valid for export. If it expires in one year.....then it must be repeated after one year. It is the identical serum so I do understand how you feel. If you do your research, you will find rabies is the most detrimental of all vaccines to a dog's health. If your vet cannot give you the information, call your state's USDA office.
Hope this helps...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...m_third_en.htm
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:26 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes, the vet has to be one that is USDA certified for the rabies shot before travel. He also must fill in certain animal export forms. My regular vet was not able to do it but gave me the name of the local USDA vet.
Does the vet who gives the rabies shot have to be USDA certified?

I know the vet who fills in the APHIS form prior to travel must be (and then you take/send the APHIS form to the local USDA office to be signed off, right?).

But if the animals are already microchipped and up to date with rabies boosters, doesn't the USDA-qualified vet just review/verify your vaccination records, give your pet a check-up, and complete APHIS? Seems a bit extreme if you have to get another rabies shot when your pet already has a legit, established vaccination record with your normal veterinarian. I don't know what proportion of regular vets are USDA qualified.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Feb 11th 2013 at 10:28 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:25 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and @Happyglow -- you're going Canada to UK, aren't you? I saw your last post on the sticky, and wondered: did you get any further info about why the Canadian animal export health papers mention the rabies titer test (blood test), when since Jan '12 that's not been a UK entry requirement for pets from Canada and the US? Can you just leave that section blank or write n/a?

I'm interested because the American health forms (APHIS II) also mention the flipping titer test, which is weird because they acknowledge it's not necessary on their own website.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulation..._kingdom.shtml

It's clearly said (=titer test not needed) on Defra, too:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...ts/pet-owners/

@Sile, not trying to hijack. Defra is the UK government department covering pet import, and Aphis/USDA regulates US pet export, so you'll need to get familiar with both. Also talk to your airline for their own regulations, and maybe call the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow. They'll be the ones actually inspecting your pet and paperwork if you fly into London.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/servi...s/default.aspx

Having said all that, I'm still at sea.

I hate all the conflicting info! Good luck to everyone else going through this.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Feb 11th 2013 at 10:30 am.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
Oh, and @Happyglow -- you're going Canada to UK, aren't you? I saw your last post on the sticky, and wondered: did you get any further info about why the Canadian animal export health papers mention the rabies titer test (blood test), when since Jan '12 that's not been a UK entry requirement for pets from Canada and the US? Can you just leave that section blank or write n/a?

I'm interested because the American health forms (APHIS II) also mention the flipping titer test, which is weird because they acknowledge it's not necessary on their own website.

Ah yes, panic over on that one - I called Animal Health again here in Canada and they said that indeed titres were no longer required and to just leave that part blank.

...and yes that's right, we're going Canada->UK. Seven weeks to go, pooch has been re-chipped (good call to do that as the vet couldn't pick up the old non-ISO chip with his scanner) and had a rabies booster.

Now I just need to buy bowls to clip onto his crate door, and get hold of some Live Animals stickers, then of course tapeworm treatment and govt vet stamp just before we travel.

Luckily he likes his crate, it's where treats magically appear, though I suspect he'll be a bit sick of it by the time he gets to Amsterdam. We're flying there, then taking the trains and ferry to UK. Way cheaper than paying cargo fees, and we avoid the big UK airports, a win-win. Stena Line ferries have been fantastic so far, they really seem to care.

I feel fortunate that I accidentally rescued a smallish dog, and those of you with tiny pooches that can fly in the cabin have got it sussed! Has to be the way to go.

Good luck everyone, it's a good thing our pets don't know how much worry they are putting us through
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:21 am
Misses Los Angeles

Originally Posted by happyglow
Ah yes, panic over on that one - I called Animal Health again here in Canada and they said that indeed titres were no longer required and to just leave that part blank.
Thanks for updating -- sounds reassuring. (I called the California animal health authorities, but they close at 4pm!)

Luckily he likes his crate, it's where treats magically appear, though I suspect he'll be a bit sick of it by the time he gets to Amsterdam. We're flying there, then taking the trains and ferry to UK. Way cheaper than paying cargo fees, and we avoid the big UK airports, a win-win. Stena Line ferries have been fantastic so far, they really seem to care.
Our cats flew Germany-LAX two years ago, and still like to sleep in their crates. Your plan sounds good; I'm amazed how much more expensive it is to fly into the UK compared with mainland Europe. This, on top of the EU/UK entry paperwork...

Good luck everyone, it's a good thing our pets don't know how much worry they are putting us through
I've spent all day doing a PhD in pet import/export, and the cat has just bitten through my phone charger. Nope, not a clue.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I've spent all day doing a PhD in pet import/export, and the cat has just bitten through my phone charger. Nope, not a clue.
and and at that. I just took pooch to his favourite place in the world - the local pet store - so he's on his best behaviour. For now....
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:20 pm
Banned

sile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nicesile is just really nice

I've talked with the govt vet and with my vet about this so hopefully this is right:

You have a year since the last (post-microchip) rabies shot to arrive in the UK.

No you don't need anything else right now - just make sure the vet does the microchip before the rabies shot, and that you get certificates for both. The vet fills in the form just before you travel, when you take your dog back for tapeworm treatment, and then the govt vet office rubber-stamps the form.
No titres any more for some countries - where are you?

You can download the forms online (just google) but check your own country's animal export advice too - for instance animal health in Canada provided me with a dutch&english version of the form (for transit through NL on way to UK).

I hope that makes sense. What kind of dog? Are you flying direct into UK and paying cargo fees, or landing in mainland europe first?
Thanks very much. That all sounds right.
I'm in the U.S. my dog is a 15 lb. Coton de Tulear. I assumed I would be flying into the UK direct, but having read a few things tonite, it looks like it could be way cheaper to go elsewhere...someone mentioned Amsterdam.. and then go to UK. I'm not a world traveler, so I have no idea if that would be doable or much less expensive but more stressful. How would my dog fly in if not as cargo? I don't think he could possibly fly in cabin. Even if he could, I'd be worried he would bark all the way
I'm open to suggestions...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Yes, the vet has to be one that is USDA certified for the rabies shot before travel. He also must fill in certain animal export forms. My regular vet was not able to do it but gave me the name of the local USDA vet. If your dog is already microchipped, all you need is the rabies shot. If not, he can perform both on the same visit as the chip must be inserted first. Then you are eligible to leave in 21 days as blood titers are no longer required. The vet will be able to tell you about the worming etc., immediately before leaving. Where I live, our rabies vaccination is valid for three years and sadly in other areas of the country, it is only valid for one year, so it gave me three to stay valid for export. If it expires in one year.....then it must be repeated after one year. It is the identical serum so I do understand how you feel. If you do your research, you will find rabies is the most detrimental of all vaccines to a dog's health. If your vet cannot give you the information, call your state's USDA office.
Hope this helps...
Thanks for your response. I do think, though, that my regular vet can do the microchipping and then the rabies vaccine. I think the USDA vet only has to do the final paperwork as someone else mentioned.

Yes, the rabies vaccine concerns me.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:30 pm
Banned

@Sile, not trying to hijack. Defra is the UK government department covering pet import, and Aphis/USDA regulates US pet export, so you'll need to get familiar with both. Also talk to your airline for their own regulations, and maybe call the Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow. They'll be the ones actually inspecting your pet and paperwork if you fly into London.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/servi...s/default.aspx

Having said all that, I'm still at sea.

I hate all the conflicting info! Good luck to everyone else going through this.
Thanks for your reply and advice. Yes, the conflicting info is a worry.
I guess it will be best to find the DEFRA website and print everything out to bring to the vet.

The most important thing right now is to know what I have to get from the vet now when he gets the chip and rabies shot. I wonder if there is a special form to be filled out now, or if I just get the certs. for each thing.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:33 pm
Banned

...and yes that's right, we're going Canada->UK. Seven weeks to go, pooch has been re-chipped (good call to do that as the vet couldn't pick up the old non-ISO chip with his scanner) and had a rabies booster.

Now I just need to buy bowls to clip onto his crate door, and get hold of some Live Animals stickers, then of course tapeworm treatment and govt vet stamp just before we travel.

I feel fortunate that I accidentally rescued a smallish dog, and those of you with tiny pooches that can fly in the cabin have got it sussed! Has to be the way to go.

Can you tell me a bit more about your choice to fly to Amsterdam, the process and prices vs going to UK direct?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much. That all sounds right.
I'm in the U.S. my dog is a 15 lb. Coton de Tulear. I assumed I would be flying into the UK direct, but having read a few things tonite, it looks like it could be way cheaper to go elsewhere...someone mentioned Amsterdam.. and then go to UK. I'm not a world traveler, so I have no idea if that would be doable or much less expensive but more stressful. How would my dog fly in if not as cargo? I don't think he could possibly fly in cabin. Even if he could, I'd be worried he would bark all the way
I'm open to suggestions...
Oh a Coton, gorgeous little dogs, there is one locally that we see out on walks sometimes. I'm guessing he's probably a bit big to go in the cabin, they have to fit comfortably in a carrier under the seat. However if you fly him as "excess baggage" it should cost you a lot less - they go in the same part of the plane as "cargo" dogs, it's just a simpler procedure (I hope!) and is not allowed by the UK.

We're flying with KLM into Amsterdam, then using ferry and trains to get to UK. Takes a bit longer than a connecting flight but at least we both get a night's kip on the ferry, me in a cabin and pooch in an on board kennel. Doggy plane ticket costs $200, can't remember how much for ferry but less than $50. It's about 4 euros to take your dog on the dutch trains and free in the UK. I hope they don't throw us off for barking!

Another member, pennylessinindia, took a taxi through the eurotunnel - something I might try for future holidays.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can you tell me a bit more about your choice to fly to Amsterdam, the process and prices vs going to UK direct?
Great timing - please see reply below

I have no idea what it costs to fly a dog direct into the UK using cargo but I'd guess it would be in the thousands, depending on size of crate of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.