British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   A VERY quick return!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/very-quick-return-873320/)

verystormy Feb 26th 2016 2:56 am

A VERY quick return!!!

We have been in Australia for 8 years, but for the last two, work has been very hard to find and debts have risen and life has become hard. So, we agreed to start looking at moving back to the UK. So, I started looking for jobs. Well, in the last month of applying for jobs in the UK I have had more response than I have had in the previous 18 months in Australia. Then, last Tuesday night, I received a very attractive offer for a job in the UK.

But, the only snag is timing. What I do is a staturatory position. Which means someone has to be appointed. Which means they need me on site by the 8th March. Two weeks away!!!! So we have two weeks to sell everything, including the house, car and almost everything we own, plan the move, getting things sorted for arrival and jump on planes. It is going to be a mad time!!!

We have so managed to book flights, get offers on a lot of furniture, the dog is sorted and will fly 5 days after me, with my wife. House on market and viewings this weekend. Oh, and the best bit, managed to get some amazing short term accomodation booked for arrival in the UK https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4432...6-52f7c0b7d965
After 8 years without a real pub, I can't wait to get to the one here.

Sparkleydiva Feb 26th 2016 3:06 am

Re: A VERY quick return!!!

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 11879857)
We have been in Australia for 8 years, but for the last two, work has been very hard to find and debts have risen and life has become hard. So, we agreed to start looking at moving back to the UK. So, I started looking for jobs. Well, in the last month of applying for jobs in the UK I have had more response than I have had in the previous 18 months in Australia. Then, last Tuesday night, I received a very attractive offer for a job in the UK.

But, the only snag is timing. What I do is a staturatory position. Which means someone has to be appointed. Which means they need me on site by the 8th March. Two weeks away!!!! So we have two weeks to sell everything, including the house, car and almost everything we own, plan the move, getting things sorted for arrival and jump on planes. It is going to be a mad time!!!

We have so managed to book flights, get offers on a lot of furniture, the dog is sorted and will fly 5 days after me, with my wife. House on market and viewings this weekend. Oh, and the best bit, managed to get some amazing short term accomodation booked for arrival in the UK https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4432...6-52f7c0b7d965

Wow, that's a lot to do in 2weeks. I Wish you luck. We are returning too after 8 years in NZ and I know what you mean about interest from the UK, I too havehada good response.

Dorothy Feb 26th 2016 3:51 am

Best of luck with the move VS. If you have any cars to get rid of PM me. We're looking for 2 for the boy's 2 youngest kids.

Pollyana Feb 26th 2016 4:08 am

Congrats on landing the job :thumbsup: Hope the move goes smoothly :fingerscrossed:

BEVS Feb 26th 2016 4:15 am

Crikey. That is fast.

All the best to you and yours for this forthcoming move. Seems that it is all falling into place.

:)

brits1 Feb 26th 2016 6:43 am

We have been in Australia for 8 years, but for the last two, work has been very hard to find and debts have risen and life has become hard. So, we agreed to start looking at moving back to the UK. So, I started looking for jobs. Well, in the last month of applying for jobs in the UK I have had more response than I have had in the previous 18 months in Australia. Then, last Tuesday night, I received a very attractive offer for a job in the UK. But, the only snag is timing. What I do is a staturatory position. Which means someone has to be appointed. Which means they need me on site by the 8th March. Two weeks away!!!! So we have two weeks to sell everything, including the house, car and almost everything we own, plan the move, getting things sorted for arrival and jump on planes. It is going to be a mad time!!! We have so managed to book flights, get offers on a lot of furniture, the dog is sorted and will fly 5 days after me, with my wife. House on market and viewings this weekend. Oh, and the best bit, managed to get some amazing short term accomodation booked for arrival in the UK https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/4432...6-52f7c0b7d965After 8 years without a real pub, I can't wait to get to the one here.

Well done and it also a lovely time to return to the UK, lighter mornings and evenings and also the daffs etc are already out. I used gumtree to sell/give a lot of our items. Hope all the viewings go well and you get an offer. All the best with the job etc.

Bermudashorts Feb 26th 2016 8:42 am

So pleased for you VS, I know you have been doing it tough recently.

I thought we were challenging ourselves when we moved to Australia with four weeks notice before starting new job. It is amazing what you can achieve when you put your mind to it, but still only two weeks!! Wow.

I was going to say maybe the OH can stay behind, but it is nice to travel together. Well I think it would be, we have never managed to make the journey together, not to Bermuda and back and not to Australia and back either.

The house looks gorgeous.

christmasoompa Feb 26th 2016 9:45 am

Congrats, and good luck with the move. From the Air BnB link, it looks like you're moving back to our neck of the woods, hope it all goes well.

:)