Reload this Page >

Very nervous about moving back

Wikiposts

Very nervous about moving back

Old Jul 26th 2011, 2:52 am
Just Joined

king_scorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very nervous about moving back

I am moving back to the UK in October. My wife and 2 children will be joining me later once I have secured a job and things have settled down a bit.

I am very nervous because we don't have much savings in the UK and it will be very difficult to manage the house rent and other expenses without having a job. I would like to request others who have gone through similar circumstances to share their experiences and if remote job hunting is a possibility.

What sort of JSA can be expected and can I claim any rent allowance as well?

I just hope everything works out as planned.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 5:22 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Very nervous about moving back

If you plan to claim any benefits you have to first satisfy residency rules. All that means is that you prove intention to stay and become what is known as habitually resident. There are many, many expats who've had to do this on return to the UK and if you browse these threads you'll soon come across their stories which will help you to understand this aspect more clearly.

Rents and utilities are not cheap. Most expats return with some savings and most would advise you to come home with at least three to six months worth of living expenses to tide you over whilst looking for jobs etc.

If savings/ money is an issue and there's no friends or family to help out, some returnees have found work that has accommodation as part of the package and magazines like The Lady have domestic service type jobs with accommodation as part of the package.

If you look at the sticky threads on the forum there's a wealth of practical information there for returnees. Another excellent source of info is moneysavingexpert.com.

All the best!
Old Jul 27th 2011, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wub
If you plan to claim any benefits you have to first satisfy residency rules. All that means is that you prove intention to stay and become what is known as habitually resident. There are many, many expats who've had to do this on return to the UK and if you browse these threads you'll soon come across their stories which will help you to understand this aspect more clearly.

Rents and utilities are not cheap. Most expats return with some savings and most would advise you to come home with at least three to six months worth of living expenses to tide you over whilst looking for jobs etc.

If savings/ money is an issue and there's no friends or family to help out, some returnees have found work that has accommodation as part of the package and magazines like The Lady have domestic service type jobs with accommodation as part of the package.

If you look at the sticky threads on the forum there's a wealth of practical information there for returnees. Another excellent source of info is moneysavingexpert.com.

All the best!
Thanks a lot for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

I am from the IT sector and if anyone has information on recruitment agencies who are open to remote interviewing, please share it here. It would help others on this forum as well.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:23 am
Just Joined

dylanboyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am in a similar situation to you at the moment. My wife is currently in the UK after being there for 4 weeks. She managed to get a teaching job after not having any luck in the States for 2 years. She did fly over a few times in the past year to interviews but did not get the jobs. I think the stress of going over for a job and flying back was too stressful and costly. She will be starting the new job at the end of August. In the mean time she has been signing on but still waiting to get paid. I don't think there is a problem but these things take time. She has given them evidence that she has been attending interviews and they have even paid towards travel expenses.

Moving is not cheap and if you have some cash to get you started then that's ideal. If not then rely on friends and family to help out, sell what you don't need and prioritize your spending, good luck!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dylanboyd
Hi, I am in a similar situation to you at the moment. My wife is currently in the UK after being there for 4 weeks. She managed to get a teaching job after not having any luck in the States for 2 years. She did fly over a few times in the past year to interviews but did not get the jobs. I think the stress of going over for a job and flying back was too stressful and costly. She will be starting the new job at the end of August. In the mean time she has been signing on but still waiting to get paid. I don't think there is a problem but these things take time. She has given them evidence that she has been attending interviews and they have even paid towards travel expenses.

Moving is not cheap and if you have some cash to get you started then that's ideal. If not then rely on friends and family to help out, sell what you don't need and prioritize your spending, good luck!
Glad to hear that your wife got a job. I am sure it must have been a very stressful time for both of you. Hope everything works out well.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone, Just wanted to share with you all about my experience. I finally took the plunge and moved back in Nov 2011. I rented out a room in London through Gumtree. I had given couple of interviews over the phone before moving back and the companies showed interest in having a face to face interview (for reasons unknown they kept delaying the second round of interviews after my arrival and it never happened !!).

I immediately started applying for jobs through various job sites. This was the most difficult and stressful time as I am sure others have experienced it. Basically everyday I was on the internet from 9am to 6pm checking for emails and new vacancies. I spent a good couple of hours everyday on the phone following-up with agencies with my application. Finally after a month (beginning of Dec), I was called for an interview. In all I attended 4 interviews with a week of each other and finally got two job offers just before Christmas 2011.

Quite a few of my friends were critical of my timing to return to the UK as December is not considered a good time for job hunting. But in the end everything went well by God's grace and I started my new role beginning of this month. I will admit the couple of months spent job hunting were very stressful and depressing. The cost of living is very high in UK and my JSA application was rejected as well (not enough Class 1 contributions and savings above their threshold!!).

Good luck to others who are in the same boat and thanks for reading
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Phew! I`m so glad that things are working out for you, although I realise you`re not home and dry yet. Even when the economic news is bad, persistence seems to pay off ! It`s interesting you got your offers in what wasnt supposed to be a good time of year for hiring.
Have you got plans for the rest of the family to join you soon?
We`re heading back later this year from the US.
In the meantime I heartily endorse www.moneysavingexpert.com I used it all the time for good deals.
Wishing you and your family a bright and happy future!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jemima55
Phew! I`m so glad that things are working out for you, although I realise you`re not home and dry yet. Even when the economic news is bad, persistence seems to pay off ! It`s interesting you got your offers in what wasnt supposed to be a good time of year for hiring.
Have you got plans for the rest of the family to join you soon?
We`re heading back later this year from the US.
In the meantime I heartily endorse www.moneysavingexpert.com I used it all the time for good deals.
Wishing you and your family a bright and happy future!
Thank jemima55. Yeah my family will be joining by end of April this year and I should be sorted with a house and everything else by then I hope. Currently I am in temporary accommodation near to the place of work.
Hope everything goes well for you and your family as well.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Regarding jobs someone who just moved back and got a job recommended this site: http://tiny.cc/0xx6h
Good luck
Old Jan 21st 2012, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

King Scorpio,

Thanks so much for the update I always wonder how things go for people and its so helpful to get feedback from those who have BTDT.

Sounds like its been stressful but so great that you were able to get employment and hopefully things will fall into place and it will all feel so much better once your family is there with you.

Good luck with it all and please keep updating.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Originally Posted by king_scorpio
Hi everyone, Just wanted to share with you all about my experience. I finally took the plunge and moved back in Nov 2011. I rented out a room in London through Gumtree. I had given couple of interviews over the phone before moving back and the companies showed interest in having a face to face interview (for reasons unknown they kept delaying the second round of interviews after my arrival and it never happened !!).

I immediately started applying for jobs through various job sites. This was the most difficult and stressful time as I am sure others have experienced it. Basically everyday I was on the internet from 9am to 6pm checking for emails and new vacancies. I spent a good couple of hours everyday on the phone following-up with agencies with my application. Finally after a month (beginning of Dec), I was called for an interview. In all I attended 4 interviews with a week of each other and finally got two job offers just before Christmas 2011.

Quite a few of my friends were critical of my timing to return to the UK as December is not considered a good time for job hunting. But in the end everything went well by God's grace and I started my new role beginning of this month. I will admit the couple of months spent job hunting were very stressful and depressing. The cost of living is very high in UK and my JSA application was rejected as well (not enough Class 1 contributions and savings above their threshold!!).

Good on ya mate! Its good to hear positive outcome in your case. I probably will be in the same boat as yourself coming to the UK unemployed. And reading your story gave me some encouragement...you put in a lot of efforts (9am-6pm) looking for job and it all paid-off. Best wishes to you and your family.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

coedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant futurecoedyddinas has a brilliant future

Hi king Scorpio

Great to read your story - very encouraging - you obviously put in a lot of hard work but clearly it paid off, Good luck with everthing, we are hoping to make the move back next year and will be in a very similar situation to yourself.
Old Jan 21st 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Good job- so happy to hear!!
Old Jan 21st 2012, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

jbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nicejbrown is just really nice

Thanks a lot for your reply, it is very much appreciated.

I am from the IT sector and if anyone has information on recruitment agencies who are open to remote interviewing, please share it here. It would help others on this forum as well.
Try this forum, which mainly comprises IT folks:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/

Edit: ah...just spotted it's an old thread Oh well, I'll leave the URL in case it's useful. Congrats on the job.
Old Jan 22nd 2012, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on your achievements. Welcome back and thanks for posting your update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.