Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Using Australian carseats in the UK (without tethers) for a holiday?

Using Australian carseats in the UK (without tethers) for a holiday?

Old Apr 11th 2017, 6:57 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Using Australian carseats in the UK (without tethers) for a holiday?

Our family is coming over for a few weeks from Aus, and we have a carseat dilema!
They are picking up the hire car in Heathrow and then driving up to wales, otherwise i would just get them some carseats to use while here, but thy need them from when they arrive.

I can't remember how the Aussie seats attached, but for that ridiculously annoying tether!
will their seats be fine to use over here for the holiday, even without the tether?
if our seats are fine attached just with a seat belt, then i don't see why theirs will not be also?
I am not concerned with stamps on the seats etc, as no one is going to check the seats anyway- just whether they will be fine just using the lap belt secure, seeing as UK law doesn't require a tether.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Australian carseats in the UK (without tethers) for a holiday?

The following article might help:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/1664...anges-2017-uk/

The article states:

Only EU approved seats can be used in the UK – look out for the capital E in a circle. ??

Could you not rent car seats with the car?
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:12 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Using Australian carseats in the UK (without tethers) for a holiday?

Originally Posted by chocciecake
Our family is coming over for a few weeks from Aus, and we have a carseat dilema!
They are picking up the hire car in Heathrow and then driving up to wales, otherwise i would just get them some carseats to use while here, but thy need them from when they arrive.

I can't remember how the Aussie seats attached, but for that ridiculously annoying tether!
will their seats be fine to use over here for the holiday, even without the tether?
if our seats are fine attached just with a seat belt, then i don't see why theirs will not be also?
I am not concerned with stamps on the seats etc, as no one is going to check the seats anyway- just whether they will be fine just using the lap belt secure, seeing as UK law doesn't require a tether.
You do need to ask the rental people to supply legally compliant seats, rules were tightened up very recently.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:16 pm

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

Renting seats for the car will cost over £1000 for the period they are here, so not an option.
On top of that the seats are often tatty and not the best from the hire companies.
I am not interested what the regs are here, as no one EVER checks your carseat anyway, and if the car seat is safe in my car here, it is safe in a car in Italy or the USA too!

The question is specifically about how AUSTRALIAN seats will attach in a UK car without tethering points, as they use tethers over there.
When we lived there i thought the car seats were ridiculous, and our UK ones were much safer than those silly things with straps latched all over the car!
If someone with knowledge of the Aussie car seats knows how the seat belt secures it in and whether it is the same system as here, with the addition of the tether, that would answer my question.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

if a car seat has a tether you need to use it. In the UK they still sell both types. The tether type is called isofix plus, and most newer cars have the third point for the attachment. If they are over 4 they can use a booster seat.

Older UK cars just have the 2 isofix points for the car seat tethers.

I am not sure about Australian seats, but UK regulations require that the seat can be undone with one hand, in the US the regulations have a second belt latch to provide more security.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:42 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Renting seats for the car will cost over £1000 for the period they are here, so not an option.
On top of that the seats are often tatty and not the best from the hire companies.
I am not interested what the regs are here, as no one EVER checks your carseat anyway, and if the car seat is safe in my car here, it is safe in a car in Italy or the USA too!

The question is specifically about how AUSTRALIAN seats will attach in a UK car without tethering points, as they use tethers over there.
When we lived there i thought the car seats were ridiculous, and our UK ones were much safer than those silly things with straps latched all over the car!
If someone with knowledge of the Aussie car seats knows how the seat belt secures it in and whether it is the same system as here, with the addition of the tether, that would answer my question.
So you put a price on the safety of the children? Really you do have to think things through, buy some legal car seats to fit in the hire car, never scrimp on the safety of a child. When we lived in Spain I bought a Spanish legal car seat for the granddaughter, even though they were only likely to use it for less than 10 days in total. Better safe than sorry, and if the comments offend you then tough, it's a life of a child in question, not something you can just go the the shop and get a replacement.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The car seats WOULD be checked in the case of an accident and a child was injured.

..... and also, knowing insurance companies, if you have an incorrectly fixed car seat and have an accident the insurance would, suddenly, become void.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
if a car seat has a tether you need to use it. In the UK they still sell both types. The tether type is called isofix plus, and most newer cars have the third point for the attachment. If they are over 4 they can use a booster seat.

Older UK cars just have the 2 isofix points for the car seat tethers.

I am not sure about Australian seats, but UK regulations require that the seat can be undone with one hand, in the US the regulations have a second belt latch to provide more security.

thanks for that info

The tethers aren't like our isofix in the uk which is a solid fixing that affixes into the seat underneath, it is like an extra seatbelt strap thing that goes back over the seat and fixes to the roof of the car!
It is a phaff and looks ridiculous!

I am wondering whether they should buy carseats from Argos for example as they have Britax ones that look reasonably beefy for £49.99 (and cheaper ones that look like lightweight tat i wouldn't trust my kids in!) and have them delivered to the hotel the day before/of their arrival???
Surely a hotel would accept a delivery and hold for a guest?
Then they have a new seat each, for around £150 for the 3 kids...

Just for a laugh, heres a pic of a car with 3 aussie car seats with tethers all over the place!

Last edited by chocciecake; Apr 11th 2017 at 8:55 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I would like a rigid isofix seat for my kid but they don't seem to be available in countries that use latch.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thanks for that info

The tethers aren't like our isofix in the uk which is a solid fixing that affixes into the seat underneath, it is like an extra seatbelt strap thing that goes back over the seat and fixes to the roof of the car!
It is a phaff and looks ridiculous!

I am wondering whether they should buy carseats from Argos for example as they have Britax ones that look reasonably beefy for £49.99 (and cheaper ones that look like lightweight tat i wouldn't trust my kids in!) and have them delivered to the hotel the day before/of their arrival???
Surely a hotel would accept a delivery and hold for a guest?
Then they have a new seat each, for around £150 for the 3 kids...

Just for a laugh, heres a pic of a car with 3 aussie car seats with tethers all over the place! http://2cwk6a3vnmnn3djo5y6ksko1.wpen...4-1024x682.jpg
Looks similar to the UK tether
Britax Duo Plus Top Tether | travel system adaptors | Mothercare

This pdf has a list of cars that have the top tether option

https://www.squires-school.com/attac...fdadcb4ec6.pdf

Bentley GT has a top tether, so just rent a Bentley.

Last edited by mrken30; Apr 11th 2017 at 9:06 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So you put a price on the safety of the children? Really you do have to think things through, buy some legal car seats to fit in the hire car, never scrimp on the safety of a child. When we lived in Spain I bought a Spanish legal car seat for the granddaughter, even though they were only likely to use it for less than 10 days in total. Better safe than sorry, and if the comments offend you then tough, it's a life of a child in question, not something you can just go the the shop and get a replacement.

Well obviously....but if the car seat is safe enough to be used in their own car, its safe enough to be used in another,isn't it!
They have the top of the line seats, which will be a darn site better than the no name brands they put in the hire car.

Uk seats can be used all over europe anyway, so that is ridiculous to buy a seat from "the country" they are in.
The UK seat was probably much better anyway!
As you can see in the below info, UK seats are LEGAL in Spain!
Child Car Seat Rules When Driving Abroad - Rhinocarhire.com
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:10 pm
Concierge

Well obviously....but if the car seat is safe enough to be used in their own car, its safe enough to be used in another,isn't it!
They have the top of the line seats, which will be a darn site better than the no name brands they put in the hire car.

Uk seats can be used all over europe anyway, so that is ridiculous to buy a seat from "the country" they are in.
The UK seat was probably much better anyway!
As you can see in the below info, UK seats are LEGAL in Spain!
Child Car Seat Rules When Driving Abroad - Rhinocarhire.com
No, just because the seat is legal in Australia doesn't mean it is legal in the UK, laws are different in both countries, yes the UK ones are legal in Spain, but we weren't living in the UK so we bought a Spanish one, simples.
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
Looks similar to the UK tether
Britax Duo Plus Top Tether | travel system adaptors | Mothercare

This pdf has a list of cars that have the top tether option

https://www.squires-school.com/attac...fdadcb4ec6.pdf

Bentley GT has a top tether, so just rent a Bentley.

Thanks for that!
Maybe we'll go for the Bentley then!!!
I see our car is on the list for having standard isofix points!
I had no idea!!!
I will have to look where to find them as they are not obvious!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
No, just because the seat is legal in Australia doesn't mean it is legal in the UK, laws are different in both countries, yes the UK ones are legal in Spain, but we weren't living in the UK so we bought a Spanish one, simples.

If you had bothered to read the thread properly before replying snarkily, about our disposable children, you would see that I had mentioned the suggestion of BUYING UK seats and getting them couriered to the Hotel if they would accept them!
But its more fun to make holier than thou comments, than bothering to follow a thread properly, isn't it!
Old Apr 11th 2017, 9:19 pm
Concierge

If you had bothered to read the thread properly before replying snarkily, about our disposable children, you would see that I had mentioned the suggestion of BUYING UK seats and getting them couriered to the Hotel if they would accept them!
But its more fun to make holier than thou comments, than bothering to follow a thread properly, isn't it!
This, in fact, what you posted in the Original post on that subject
quote<They are picking up the hire car in Heathrow and then driving up to wales, otherwise i would just get them some carseats to use while here, but thy need them from when they arrive.> no mention of couriering them to them at all. However that is not really the point, and, in any case, that is my final post on this matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.