Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

USC Obtained Settler's visa what are the odds of obtaining a UK IT JOB?

USC Obtained Settler's visa what are the odds of obtaining a UK IT JOB?

Old Oct 31st 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

infotec28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USC Obtained Settler's visa what are the odds of obtaining a UK IT JOB?

just curious if i was to go out there....what would be the chance of obtaining an IT job out that way (Silicon Glen)

...or is it like the US where I have to just sit on my thumb for 6 months at a time no matter how smart I am? thanks for any input!!!
Old Nov 7th 2003, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: USC Obtained Settler's visa what are the odds of obtaining a UK IT JOB?

Originally posted by infotec28
just curious if i was to go out there....what would be the chance of obtaining an IT job out that way (Silicon Glen)

...or is it like the US where I have to just sit on my thumb for 6 months at a time no matter how smart I am? thanks for any input!!!

i have absolutely no idea, but maybe you could try posting on

www.americanexpats.co.uk

as it suggests its for american expats in the UK...maybe they might have more idea/give you some pointers. Worth a try maybe. Good luck.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: USC Obtained Settler's visa what are the odds of obtaining a UK IT JOB?

Originally posted by BCBOY
i have absolutely no idea, but maybe you could try posting on

www.americanexpats.co.uk

as it suggests its for american expats in the UK...maybe they might have more idea/give you some pointers. Worth a try maybe. Good luck.
I have an account there and posted that there a while back, but really just got a few url's for jobs as responses
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:46 pm
Go RedSox!

MrsLondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default job

Could you try appliying for jobs before you go? I don't think anyone can say for certain how long it would take for you to get a job, but I've heard that the UK IT situation is not as bad as the US's.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: job

Originally posted by MrsLondon
Could you try appliying for jobs before you go? I don't think anyone can say for certain how long it would take for you to get a job, but I've heard that the UK IT situation is not as bad as the US's.
cool...thank you, i have been applying like a madman, but haven't gotten any followup
Old Nov 14th 2003, 10:39 am
Banned

fried_emu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: job

Originally posted by infotec28
cool...thank you, i have been applying like a madman, but haven't gotten any followup

Make sure you apply in UK CV format. We found most employers looked at the resume and put it aside because they couldn't pigeon hole it.

It took my hubby 3 months to get an IT job once we were here. He is a Network Manager for the NHS ( 5 hospital trust) When he started he had the job of updating a legacy system across the network to current day standards. They were still using 95 in some areas!!!!

He makes less in Northern UK than he would in London, but our cost of living is lower.

The NHSIA (the information authority) is severly lacking in Good IT. The have failed to meet several goals for modernisation internally. They may be ripe for the picking. Try to open a dialogue while submiting the resume (CV).

Good luck -the bosses tend to love north american it guys (imports)

Fried