Reload this Page >

USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Maiba will become famous soon enoughMaiba will become famous soon enough
Default Re: USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

Hi there

our daughter was 7 months when we flew to Florida in January, there was no requirement for a car seat. She was still using size 0 then, so it would have fitted but her current carseat would definitely not fit, especially as it has ISOFIX and a little pole going down to the floor, would be a nightmare to lug that around.
I agree it would be safer for the child to be in the carseat, however I am not sure those seats are designed for that.

Kind regards

Diana
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I've travelled with a Britax Marathon / Boulevard. Check, your seat should say if it is FAA approved. The above seats are.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maiba
her current carseat would definitely not fit, especially as it has ISOFIX and a little pole going down to the floor, would be a nightmare to lug that around.
I agree it would be safer for the child to be in the carseat, however I am not sure those seats are designed for that.
I think he is a US resident flying US-UK and would therefore have a LATCH car seat not the ISOFIX. A LATCH car seat (17 inches wide) would fit no problem.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

ok, something else to keep in mind, different car seat systems. I guess that won't be a problem then.

Nice photo, by the way.

Kind regards

Diana
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

ok, something else to keep in mind, different car seat systems. I guess that won't be a problem then.

Nice photo, by the way.

Kind regards

Diana
LOL yeap, just one more thing to confuse the situation

Welcome to BE!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you! Though it will be another few months before I actually become and expat... Hope sooner rather than later, fed up with the British summer that isn't . A complete washout, like last year.

Have a lovely weekend

Diana
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

We just bought a travel system for our impending arrival. The car seat is FAA approved - so we'll be taking it with us when we go over to the UK in April next year. If there is problems with the seat in-front reclining, thats not our problem.

Didnt relise that there was a different system between UK and US car seats. My car (GTI) has a LATCH system, but as its made in Germany I would have thought that this would have been an international standard. Oh well, I'll just have to remember to not bother taking the base of the seat with us and to just take the seat only.

Just out of interest... Anyone had any experience in the hour + queue at US immigration with a grouchy, smelly, screaming kid? Any chance we'll be sent to the front of the queue?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you! Though it will be another few months before I actually become and expat... Hope sooner rather than later, fed up with the British summer that isn't . A complete washout, like last year.

Have a lovely weekend

Diana
Where in the US are moving too?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

if ur payin for a seat... take the car seat.!!! booster seats are NOT FAA approved so wont be allowed if traveling on an american airline dont know about the brit side of things.

kids on laps can get bloody annoying for such a long flight. as for help, contact the ailine and tell them ur a special needs passenger. Travelling with young infant and someone will help u to the gate. I agree a pain in the ass from car to check in.. but welcome to the world of travelling with kids.. i am glad i dont need to bother anymore!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ash

we will be moving to the Brit's favourite, Florida. Because of the weather, because it's closer to Europe and because of the flight connections. Also, my parents are golf players, so they will definitely like the choice of golf courses - not that that would influence our decision, but at least they have something to do when they visit