Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:12 am
Account Closed

Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

We are flying PHX to LHR in September i have seats booked for my kids but i'm not too keen on lugging a car seat on the trip for my youngest son. Its not just the flight but also the airport parking transfer bus etc.
According to BA customer service if they have a seat booked and they are under 2 they need a car seat. So my problem is on the outward flight my youngest son will just 3 days short of his 2nd birthday and he will be 2 years by the time we fly back to PHX. According to BA customer service we need a car seat on the outward flight and can check it in on the return flight:curse:
What i dont understand is that he could have been taken as a lap passenger (as an under 2 year old) so why do i have to have the car seat Can't we just bung him on the lap for takeoff and landing then dump him in his seat for the rest of the time?

I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem? I am tempted to take a gamble and not take the car seat and hope they dont chuck us all off the flight
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA to UK with young kids on British Airways

Originally Posted by Elliott
We are flying PHX to LHR in September i have seats booked for my kids but i'm not too keen on lugging a car seat on the trip for my youngest son. Its not just the flight but also the airport parking transfer bus etc.
According to BA customer service if they have a seat booked and they are under 2 they need a car seat. So my problem is on the outward flight my youngest son will just 3 days short of his 2nd birthday and he will be 2 years by the time we fly back to PHX. According to BA customer service we need a car seat on the outward flight and can check it in on the return flight:curse:
What i dont understand is that he could have been taken as a lap passenger (as an under 2 year old) so why do i have to have the car seat Can't we just bung him on the lap for takeoff and landing then dump him in his seat for the rest of the time?

I wonder if anyone else has run into this problem? I am tempted to take a gamble and not take the car seat and hope they dont chuck us all off the flight
Are you using a car in the UK...if so you'll need a car seat.

Your little one will be safer and probably more comfortable in the car seat...therefore making the flight easier for mum and dad. Why don't you drop your wife, kids, luggage and car seat at the terminal and go park the car and meet them at check-in? There should be a sky-cap to assist. That's what we usually do.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 8th 2008 at 4:19 am.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Can't we just bung him on the lap for takeoff and landing then dump him in his seat for the rest of the time?
BMI had us do that one time... I have flown several times now with kids and to be honest it is much better for them to be in a car seat... to me it is worth the hassle of dragging it around.

if you do decide to take it, get yourself some rolling hand luggage and a couple of those small bungy cords from the dollar tree and fasten your car seat to your hand luggage, works a treat.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

I recently flew with my daughter from NYC to LON when she was that age. I didn't pay for a seat, but was given one anyway. I did bring her car seat, and she was much more comfortable in the car seat than sitting on the actual plane seat. I doubt you HAVE to bring one, but I would strongly suggest it. Especially if it is a night flight, they will be way more comfortable (and safe) asleep in a car seat.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 4:18 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

At 2 I would definitely recommend taking the car seat, it's way easier to contain them in the airplane seat using a car seat, and they will be more comfortable and sleep better. A good way to get the seat through the airport is to buy one of those cheap folding luggage carts (I got ours at Target). You can then attach the seat to that and push it through the airport.
Naomi.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

I agree with all the other posters that advise you to take the car seat. Myself and my daughter flew to Dublin from JFK last year and I took her car seat. I'm glad I did because she was no trouble at all and enjoyed the whole flight and I got to relax a little too.

"A good way to get the seat through the airport is to buy one of those cheap folding luggage carts (I got ours at Target). You can then attach the seat to that and push it through the airport. "
I did exactly this and it made things so much easier, especially as I was travelling on my own. I got many nice compliments from other passengers telling me that it was such a good idea.

Last edited by choppi; Jul 8th 2008 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for the replies. We decided to travel with the car seat, 3 cases. I should be able to manage that with an airport trolley.
Only other option was to purchase the new FAA approved safety harness for toddlers from CARES at http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ but they are asking $75 a piece for these

I still doubt that the brittax car seat will even fit in the seat on the plane, my 2 year old is fairly tall, hes always been 90th percentile etc. I think if the person sat in front reclines his/her seat its just going to get nasty.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 12:57 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

ive travelled a lot with my two and never been told to bring a carseat. In fact - for some flights a carseat would have been a nightmare as it would have had to be on our lap which would have been VERY uncomfortable. If we have taken a carseat it has gone in the hold.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
ive travelled a lot with my two and never been told to bring a carseat. In fact - for some flights a carseat would have been a nightmare as it would have had to be on our lap which would have been VERY uncomfortable. If we have taken a carseat it has gone in the hold.
Airlines will not allow you to hold a child in a car seat on your lap.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the replies. We decided to travel with the car seat, 3 cases. I should be able to manage that with an airport trolley.
Only other option was to purchase the new FAA approved safety harness for toddlers from CARES at http://www.kidsflysafe.com/ but they are asking $75 a piece for these

I still doubt that the brittax car seat will even fit in the seat on the plane, my 2 year old is fairly tall, hes always been 90th percentile etc. I think if the person sat in front reclines his/her seat its just going to get nasty.
Might wanna check the width too... the car seats my kids use every day will not fit in an airline seat as they have arm rests and cup holders. Your car seat should be no wider than 17 inches. I ended up buying a cheap Cosco from Walmart for $40.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Might wanna check the width too... the car seats my kids use every day will not fit in an airline seat as they have arm rests and cup holders. Your car seat should be no wider than 17 inches. I ended up buying a cheap Cosco from Walmart for $40.
interesting about the 17 inches. I have used it on flights within the USA before so it should be ok shouldn't it?
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:03 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute

We flew with a Britax Roundabout and it fitted the seat just fine. I've seen even larger Britax seats on B.A. too. Hopefully they will give you the bulkheads seats so nobody is in front of you. We always managed to score those.
Naomi.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

interesting about the 17 inches. I have used it on flights within the USA before so it should be ok shouldn't it?
Yeap
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

choppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to allchoppi is a name known to all

I too had a Britax Roundabout and it fitted with no problems.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:24 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

dont BA have the kids booster seats? Virgin have a special moulded seat they use for kiddies between skycot age and 3 I think. We've never had to take the car seat onboard and always used the booster seats they provided.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.