USA -> UK forwarding mail dilemma

Wikiposts

USA -> UK forwarding mail dilemma

Old Aug 5th 2013, 9:05 am
Just Joined

tom_123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default USA -> UK forwarding mail dilemma

Hi All

I recently moved from the USA to UK and was trying to setup international forwarding of mail before I left.

I filled out the USPS paper change of address form at the start of July, but by the time I left the states at the end of July the forwarding was not working. The post office claimed international forwarding is not something they offer.

As a backup I got a UPS mailbox, which does international forwarding. I figured if the USPS forwarding does not work I would use this.

Back in the UK, it had been over a month and no mail had come through. I decided to use the UPS mailbox and setup online change of address.

The next morning I get a piece of mail which has been forwarded internationally!!

My question is what should I do now? If I cancel the online change of address will it impact the international forwarding which is now in effect?

Thanks in advance

tom
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: USA -> UK forwarding mail dilemma

I think I would leave everything as is. I wouldn't change anything as it's obviously working if you're getting US mail in UK.

It's very confusing because the postal workers in the post office itself seem to think that mail doesnt get forwarded internationally, and yet it does as I'm getting it daily (even junk mail from the likes of Sherwin WIlliams offering me 30% off a can of emulsion!)

Do nothing, whatever you filled out prior to moving was right.

The only thing I intend on doing now is writing to the people who have sent mail to my old address to make sure they know I'm no longer there, because I believe the change of address form will only be in effect for 6 months
Old Aug 5th 2013, 11:06 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I've done international forwarding with USPS. It does take a good month to get started, and they only forward first class mail so some catalogs and junk mail won't get sent on.
Old Aug 11th 2013, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

It gets forwarded for a year and they let the people sending u mail know that you've moved. I couldn't figure out why after nearly a year I got a letter from California that had my Uk address on it but then found out the USPS had let them know I had moved to the Uk.