Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

USA Lamps to the UK- Will UK bulbs be fit?

USA Lamps to the UK- Will UK bulbs be fit?

Old Mar 18th 2019, 8:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: USA Lamps to the UK- Will UK bulbs be fit?

Originally Posted by Vadio
Because Europe uses Edison Screw type, they became very common here years ago.Yep, lots also available on-line, but every place that sell bulbs has them, and cheaper than Amazon. .....
I actually do have relatively recent experience of buying bulbs in B&Q - at Christmas 2017, and found the range/choice to be very limited, mostly of the "Hobson's choice" variety. Personally I would sooner pay £2 for the bulb I want than £1 for the only one that fits that the shop sells, but maybe that's just me.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to ask about a few things here on a similar note.

I have an Acer Chromebook 15, Google Home Mini, 2 Rokus and a FireTv Stick. I also have a Philips flat antenna for OTA channels. What will I need to use all of these?

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Mar 19th 2019 at 5:20 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2019, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
I'd like to ask about a few things here on a similar note.

I have an Acer Chromebook 15, Google Home Mini, 2 Rokus and a FireTv Stick. I also have a Philips flat antenna for OTA channels. What will I need to use all of these?
Have a look on the "spec plate", which is usually on the back near where the power cord is connected, and what you should see is a number next to a "v" and a number next to "Hz". If it says 120v (or maybe 115v) and 60Hz it probably won't work in the UK. If it says 100v-250v and 50Hz-60Hz then it is dual voltage and will work in either country, and you will just need to replace the power cord, or snip off the plug and wire on a British 13amp plug. If something works of a "power brick", it will probably be dual voltage, but if it isn't you can buy a new power brick as well as a power cord.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Have a look on the "spec plate", which is usually on the back near where the power cord is connected, and what you should see is a number next to a "v" and a number next to "Hz". If it says 120v (or maybe 115v) and 60Hz it probably won't work in the UK. If it says 100v-250v and 50Hz-60Hz then it is dual voltage and will work in either country, and you will just need to replace the power cord, or snip off the plug and wire on a British 13amp plug. If something works of a "power brick", it will probably be dual voltage, but if it isn't you can buy a new power brick as well as a power cord.
Ok, thanks. I'm going to call Acer to make sure. THe info you are describing is not there. It says 15v ----3a (3a).

WHat about the other devices I mentioned?
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Ok, thanks. I'm going to call Acer to make sure. THe info you are describing is not there. It says 15v ----3a (3a).

WHat about the other devices I mentioned?
All the same, and the Acer info is there, probably on the power brick as it isn't legal to sell an electrical appliance or device without the power ratings clearly displayed . I believe that the Acer is rated for 15V DC and 3 amps, which is what the power brick turns US mains 120V into. The question is whether the power brick can run on 240V AC as well as 120V AC.