Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US to UK - quick TV question

US to UK - quick TV question

Old Oct 18th 2017, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default US to UK - quick TV question

My daughter threw a remote by accident at my 55" curved Samsung TV and destroyed it. Apparently its cheaper to buy a new one than to fix.

We're moving back to the UK next month. I think I probably know the answer, but what do you guys recommend I do about a replacement? Buy a new one here and put it in the container back to England (which is what we were going to do with the existing TV)? Or wait until we get back to the UK to buy a new one.

My guess is it comes down to price, and the issue of having a UK tv using UK power as opposed to US tv needing a power converter.

Thanks all.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:58 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US to UK - quick TV question

If it's already broken then wait until you get back to buy a new one. Avoid transformers and incompatible signal/app issues. John Lewis or Richer Sounds have good customer service, will price match and give you a 5-6 year warranty to boot.

Last edited by BritInParis; Oct 18th 2017 at 3:01 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Not only voltage differences (240 vs 110), the need for an outlet adapter, power transformer, but most importantly different broadcast standards. By far better to buy a new TV there. Even if it wasn’t broken I wouldn’t take it there for these reasons.

(Ah yes, Schaumburg. Just a few miles from my suburb!)

Last edited by Richard8655; Oct 18th 2017 at 3:20 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

UK TV's have much better program guides built-in. Unless you are just going to watch netflix, I would probably buy a UK TV. Cord cutting in the UK is much easier because of the TV license and good OTA TV.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all.

What are thoughts on pricing? Is it comparable?
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

TVS are invariably multi-voltage, and accept both 50Hz and 60Hz mains these days, so there will be no need for any sort of transformer or adapter - just switch the plug or cord to a British 13A plug.

That said, I agree with everyone else - buy in the UK when you get back.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 18th 2017 at 7:24 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
TVS are invariably multi-voltage, and accept both 50Hz and 60Hz mains these days, so there will be no need for any sort if transformer or adapter - just switch the plug or cord.

That's what I was thinking... based on my research. I think it comes down to price? The same model that is $799 here is £899 in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
That's what I was thinking... based on my research. I think it comes down to price? The same model that is $799 here is £899 in the UK.
At those prices, and given the exchange rate, I'd take the British one every time because of the risk of damage in transit and that a US product warranty will be worthless in the UK.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what model you have, but if it's down to price

Samsung UE55M6300 55" Curved 1080p Full HD LED TV UE55M6300AKXXU is £680.
or
Samsung UE55MU6220 55" 4K Ultra HD Curved LED Smart TV with Freeview HD UE55MU6220KXXU is £770

if you take your US TV you will probably want to buy a freeview box. So there is not that much difference in price and you will lose UK specific features unless you can flash your TV with UK software.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrken30
Not sure what model you have, but if it's down to price

Samsung UE55M6300 55" Curved 1080p Full HD LED TV UE55M6300AKXXU is £680.
or
Samsung UE55MU6220 55" 4K Ultra HD Curved LED Smart TV with Freeview HD UE55MU6220KXXU is £770

if you take your US TV you will probably want to buy a freeview box. So there is not that much difference in price and you will lose UK specific features unless you can flash your TV with UK software.
I was looking at the 6500 - that's what I have now (or did..) I'll probably have to downgrade if I want to stay in budget and get one from UK.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was looking at the 6500 - that's what I have now (or did..) I'll probably have to downgrade if I want to stay in budget and get one from UK.
Samsung UE55MU6500 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Curved LED Smart TV with Freeview HD and Active Crystal Colour UE55MU6500UXXU is £800, so just a little bit more.

And that's without shopping around too much or taking advantage of promocodes etc.

or get a unknown brand , not my choice, for less money

electriQ 65" Curved 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV with Google Android and Freeview HD eiq-CV65UHDT2SM is £730

UK houses might be a bit small for a TV that size.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mrken30
Samsung UE55MU6500 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR Curved LED Smart TV with Freeview HD and Active Crystal Colour UE55MU6500UXXU is £800, so just a little bit more.

And that's without shopping around too much or taking advantage of promocodes etc.

or get a unknown brand , not my choice, for less money

electriQ 65" Curved 4K Ultra HD LED Smart TV with Google Android and Freeview HD eiq-CV65UHDT2SM is £730

UK houses might be a bit small for a TV that size.
So my TV will look even bigger than it actually is....!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

That’s right. The latest HDTVs support international voltage and transmission standards. As mentioned, an outlet adapter just needed. Been out of touch in latest TV technology. But I’d still only own a TV purchased in the local country.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 8:32 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
TVS are invariably multi-voltage, and accept both 50Hz and 60Hz mains these days, so there will be no need for any sort of transformer or adapter - just switch the plug or cord to a British 13A plug.

Originally Posted by Richard8655
That’s right. The latest HDTVs support international voltage and transmission standards. As mentioned, an outlet adapter just needed. Been out of touch in latest TV technology. But I’d still only own a TV purchased in the local country.
I would be cautious in that regard. For the television under discussion, the official UK specs state that it only supports "AC220-240V 50/60Hz". The US specs don't mention voltage at all.