Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US to UK - converters, cat shipping and freight cost

US to UK - converters, cat shipping and freight cost

Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute
Default US to UK - converters, cat shipping and freight cost

Hi
My wife and I are moving back to the UK early this year, for various reasons. This forum is obviously a great resource (how did people manage before the internet?) and I've discovered a few answers. But here's a couple of things I'd like to ask

Any advice on taking a cat from the US to UK on a plane with us? I know we need to get the immunisations under way etc, but what sort of container is acceptable, and how many flights are really available to take the cat with?

Can anyone tell me where they bought their US/UK step down converter from in the UK? We'll need it quickly for a laptop, but I don't see them in Argos and the like. Shipping from Ebay will take a little too long.

I've got a few freight companies from previous threads here. I just have a couple of guitars to ship and smallish items. My thinking is that if we have a cat with us we won't want huge backage, and certainly not a fragile guitar. Any ballpark figure you give for shipping one liftvan type container door to door?

many thanks!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US to UK - converters, cat shipping and freight cost

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
Hi
My wife and I are moving back to the UK early this year, for various reasons. This forum is obviously a great resource (how did people manage before the internet?) and I've discovered a few answers. But here's a couple of things I'd like to ask

Any advice on taking a cat from the US to UK on a plane with us? I know we need to get the immunisations under way etc, but what sort of container is acceptable, and how many flights are really available to take the cat with?

Can anyone tell me where they bought their US/UK step down converter from in the UK? We'll need it quickly for a laptop, but I don't see them in Argos and the like. Shipping from Ebay will take a little too long.

I've got a few freight companies from previous threads here. I just have a couple of guitars to ship and smallish items. My thinking is that if we have a cat with us we won't want huge backage, and certainly not a fragile guitar. Any ballpark figure you give for shipping one liftvan type container door to door?

many thanks!
You will not be able to take your cat in the cabin of the aircraft and there are only certain airlines and routes you can use to fly into the UK with a pet. Take a look at the DEFRA website for further details, also look in the BE Wiki and search this forum for past threads...there has been dozens of threads about taking let's back to the UK.

Laptops are usually dual voltage...therefore you will probably only need a converter for the plug.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 13th 2014 at 9:16 pm. Reason: Insert url
Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:22 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned, nearly every laptop built within the last 15 years or so is dual voltage. The 'brick' on the power cord is capable of supporting 110-220v, so all you really need is a plug convertor, i.e. the £3.99 things you find at Tesco and travel shops. If you look closely at the fine print on the side of the 'brick' you should see the 110-220v written there, though it might be quite small.

Many laptops have two cords, one that connects from the mains to the brick, and the secondary cord from the brick to the laptop itself. If you are moving you might just want to buy a new mains-brick portion of the cord, which you can find at most hardware and electrical stores for just a few pounds. Take a look at the cord that connects to the brick--it's probably either a 'figure 8' or a 'cloverleaf' connection. You just buy the similar in the UK and you are good to go.

Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Defra site for what you have to do for the cats. I think you'll find it is just a rabies shot that is needed, but the cats must be microchipped.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

You should check out excessbaggage.com if you are only going to be shipping a few items.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, all good info. If I don't have to waste money on a clunky converter then that's a plus. We have the cat booked in Sat to start the pet passport process, and I've contacted PBS freight about transit (they deal with United Airlines who are an approved carrier with DEFRA).

I need to look at excessbaggage as an option. Think I'll do that now...

So some progress is being made
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

The cat can go on the same flight as you. contact the airline directly about cargo option. Most airlines do their own animal transit and it will be cheaper for you and easier not to have to use a middle man.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
The cat can go on the same flight as you. contact the airline directly about cargo option. Most airlines do their own animal transit and it will be cheaper for you and easier not to have to use a middle man.
Oh ok, so I wouldn't have to use PBS or another company.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

It may be different for each airline so I would call and check. But I called both BA and Virgin and they have their own cargo service so you book directly with them for the cat and for you.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
It may be different for each airline so I would call and check. But I called both BA and Virgin and they have their own cargo service so you book directly with them for the cat and for you.
Great, I'll look into that.