Reload this Page >

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Wikiposts

US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Old Jun 10th 2024, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Chelseagal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: US Social Security Moving Back to UK

Hi, yes I read that 10 times lol. I have worked in the US for 19 years and was married for 10 years to my late husband so it sounds like I qualify but it’s scary when social security are telling me different things. I appreciate your response and time. Guess I will go ahead with my plans and if they stop my payments I will have to work full time till I die…ouch!
Old Jun 10th 2024, 2:32 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chelseagal
Hi, yes I read that 10 times lol. I have worked in the US for 19 years and was married for 10 years to my late husband so it sounds like I qualify but it’s scary when social security are telling me different things. I appreciate your response and time. Guess I will go ahead with my plans and if they stop my payments I will have to work full time till I die…ouch!
The Federal Benefits Unit in the US Embassy in London can be extremely helpful. I have called them several times, but just recently they seem to have stopped responding to calls completely (you get a recorded message, are not even put on hold). You can send them a message, though it takes a week or so to get a response. I *think* they are only supposed to help people living in the UK, but you might try messaging them. Failing that, at least you can ask them after you've returned to the UK. Always keep messages brief but include all important information.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chelseagal
You are eligible to social security on your own record including being paid as a UK citizen while living in the UK without having to travel back every 6 months, I’m pretty sure about that. Under normal circumstances when a spouse dies then the other spouse gets the higher of the social security benefits and I don’t know how that applies to a surving UK spouse living in the UK. I agree with dunroving that the FBU will be best placed to answer this question as they are expert in SS as it is implemented as per the UK-US tax treaty.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 8:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Random question from security-minded OH. When he contacts that London office through the online form to start payments, and someone calls you back for details, what security questions/measures are there so that you know it's not a Nigerian prince or whatever?

Also, what info do you need to hand other than your SSN? Bank account info? Previous addresses? Other?

Thanks for any info.
Old Jun 10th 2024, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Random question from security-minded OH. When he contacts that London office through the online form to start payments, and someone calls you back for details, what security questions/measures are there so that you know it's not a Nigerian prince or whatever?

Also, what info do you need to hand other than your SSN? Bank account info? Previous addresses? Other?

Thanks for any info.
I don’t recall what security questions were asked when my wife applied a few years ago. They already had her SSN so I think it was just her bank details. I’m sure that when they set up the bank for payments they will only allow payments into an account of the correct name