British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/us-retunees-cunard-queens-diamond-jubilee-sale-1st-7th-june-760400/)

Englishmum Jun 2nd 2012 12:06 am

US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

I received an e-mail today from Cunard.

They have a special sale on to sail on the Queen Mary 2 between New York & Southampton (and vice versa). Passengers get a free double upgrade eg. from an inside cabin (D8) to a Premium Balcony (B5). There is also a $150 shipboard credit.

Fares are as low as $895 NY-Soton Jan 2013. There are numerous other dates between now and Jan 2013 with various discounted prices.

Must book by 7th June and deposits are non-refundable.

All info on http://www.cunard.com

Don't forget......you can take as much luggage as you want as long as it will fit inside your cabin (state room) and all food is included.....much cheaper than flying across the pond and a mini-holiday on the journey too!

lf1 Jun 2nd 2012 12:36 am

Re: US Retunees: CUNARD - Queen's Diamond Jubilee Sale 1st-7th June

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 10095738)
I received an e-mail today from Cunard.

They have a special sale on to sail on the Queen Mary 2 between New York & Southampton (and vice versa). Passengers get a free double upgrade eg. from an inside cabin (D8) to a Premium Balcony (B5). There is also a $150 shipboard credit.

Fares are as low as $895 NY-Soton Jan 2013. There are numerous other dates between now and Jan 2013 with various discounted prices.

Must book by 7th June and deposits are non-refundable.

All info on http://www.cunard.com

Don't forget......you can take as much luggage as you want as long as it will fit inside your cabin (state room) and all food is included.....much cheaper than flying across the pond and a mini-holiday on the journey too!

Thanks for posting this. We are considering doing this in July. Do you if it is really formal on board, I don't know if I want to put posh frocks on every night. Not that I have many.:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 2nd 2012 1:46 am

I told Dh we are going home that way. I compared the cheaper cabins with flights, for three of us, and then added the flight to NY and the train from Southampton and it came out just about even and we'd get a holiday to boot. So now we'll see if I can get us one after we sell the house. I really wish this was next years sale!

Mummy in the foothills Jun 2nd 2012 1:49 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10095779)
Thanks for posting this. We are considering doing this in July. Do you if it is really formal on board, I don't know if I want to put posh frocks on every night. Not that I have many.:)

I was reading on the cunard site you can go formal each night if you like, so many, 2 or 3, nights are formal, and if you don't want to do that, you can eat in one of the other places they have instead of the dining rooms and it said you could opt for room service too.

Pombat Jun 2nd 2012 4:02 am

I would love to do this!

Englishmum Jun 2nd 2012 4:38 am

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10095779)

Look for posts in the MBTTUK forum from Calle (there is a hyphen above the 'e', as in cafe but I don't know how to type it!) She sailed to the UK with her spouse, children and pets in a quad cabin:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341555 (she made more than one post in this thread)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344267

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310324

curleytops Jun 2nd 2012 9:28 am

I think its a fantastic experience to make the journey by sea if you're able to. When my family went to Canada in 1966 we did just that, leaving Southampton and arriving in Halifax, NS a week later...46 years ago yesterday as a matter of fact. It's a very memorable holiday. The sentimental part of me would have loved to have sailed back into Southampton last year when I returned home to live but it just wasn't practical. I had to settle for a 4am arrival in Gatwick when I came back but at the end of the day it was still great to be home.

jemima55 Jun 3rd 2012 10:20 am

Another site for bookings is www.vacationstogo.com.
It has some very cheap fares for last minute bookings.

Pombat Jun 6th 2012 4:46 pm

So excited!!!!

Have just booked our voyage home for the August 3rd sailing! I would never have thought of going via sea until I read about it here - gotta love BE!!!! :thumbup: Thank you Englishmum for posting.

We got 2 sheltered balcony staterooms for $4470 including taxes and fees. One way airfares from CA this summer are in that ballpark :eek:

7 days relaxing with all meals and entertainment included, and no jetlag, vs. 11 hours in cattle class and then having to contend with Heathrow = no brainer.

We'll fly to NY and spend a couple of days there before setting sail. It will be a wonderful end to our time in the US. And we will avoid the madness of Heathrow during the Olympics! Win win!! :thumbsup:

lf1 Jun 6th 2012 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Pombat (Post 10103919)
So excited!!!!

Have just booked our voyage home for the August 3rd sailing! I would never have thought of going via sea until I read about it here - gotta love BE!!!! :thumbup: Thank you Englishmum for posting.

We got 2 sheltered balcony staterooms for $4470 including taxes and fees. One way airfares from CA this summer are in that ballpark :eek:

7 days relaxing with all meals and entertainment included, and no jetlag, vs. 11 hours in cattle class and then having to contend with Heathrow = no brainer.

We'll fly to NY and spend a couple of days there before setting sail. It will be a wonderful end to our time in the US. And we will avoid the madness of Heathrow during the Olympics! Win win!! :thumbsup:

Pombat, that is fantastic news. What a great trip that will be. I have been looking at the dates available, but the July date is too early and the Aug date is a bit late for us. Our house closes on 19th July, so we would have to rent for a couple of weeks. Having said that, I may go to visit a friend in Ontario for a bit, on our way back, so that would eat up some time.

Wouldn't that be coincidence if we went home of the same trip as you. I'll let you if we decide to go on 3 Aug trip.:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 6th 2012 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pombat (Post 10103919)
So excited!!!!

Excellent :thumbsup:

Pombat Jun 6th 2012 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10103977)
Wouldn't that be coincidence if we went home of the same trip as you. I'll let you if we decide to go on 3 Aug trip.:)

Don't wait too long - the sale ends tomorrow.......

lf1 Jun 6th 2012 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pombat (Post 10104265)
Don't wait too long - the sale ends tomorrow.......

Did you buy your tickets through MITF's link, directly with Cunard?

Pombat Jun 6th 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 10104272)
Did you buy your tickets through MITF's link, directly with Cunard?

Yes, I looked for other sites and promo codes but the Diamond Jubilee sale prices were the lowest anywhere.

Chortlepuss Jun 6th 2012 10:37 pm

oooh, I've always wanted to go on a cruise and this has got me thinking - are there cruises that go from Australia via US back to Southampton and is it possible to book a one way trip??:thumbsup: