Reload this Page >

US passport for UK travel?

Wikiposts

US passport for UK travel?

Old May 3rd 2013, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

alcoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US passport for UK travel?

Can anyone point me to any forum for finding information about US citizens visiting UK for a couple of weeks?

Wife and I are US passport holders with steady jobs in US. Planning a brief visit to London, but with a stop in Munich, Germany. We want to land/arrive in Munich on a weekend (I'll be attending a work meeting there for a week; we're planning on hopping on a flight to London so wife and baby can be with her family there, I'd catch return flight Monday to my Munich meeting and then after the work week, catch a flight back to London. After about a week of vacation in London (2 weeks for the wife) all of us return to Munich to catch our return flight back to US.

Would entering UK twice within 2 weeks cause any flags at the UK immigration? LOL. I understand we don't need a visa. What documents in general is recommended to be carried for US passport holders briefly visiting the UK?

Last edited by alcoa; May 3rd 2013 at 6:49 am.
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US passport for UK travel?

You'll be fine with just your passport. They might ask why you went to Munich and why you are back in London. I used to work alongside the immigration officers covering European arrivals and US passport holders going back and forth was a common occurrence.
Old May 3rd 2013, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Not a problem at all. My daughters travelled around Europe last summer on US passports. They entered a few countries (including the UK) twice during their trip.
Old May 3rd 2013, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both! This puts us at ease.
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't thought about this before, but assuming the visa waiver works the same for US to EU as it does for UK to US, I would think you get a 90 day, visa free, visit. Once you are in EU you can travel as freely as if crossing state lines in US.

As to whether your meetings in Munich are "work" that's another topic
Old May 3rd 2013, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
Once you are in EU you can travel as freely as if crossing state lines in US.
Except in my case I'll be leaving Germany (EU) and arriving in UK (non-EU state?), and I'll need to go thru Heathrow immigration and get my passport stamped for arrival, unlike freely crossing state lines in US?

Also, I know I'll get an arrival stamp at Munich when I first land there; will they also stamp a departure when I leave for the UK a few hours later, seeing that I will be boarding a flight to UK (out of EU)?

As to whether your meetings in Munich are "work" that's another topic
Probably wiser to say 'Business meeting' rather than work related meeting?

Last edited by alcoa; May 3rd 2013 at 1:17 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:03 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

UK is a member of the EU. Perhaps you are confused because they don't use the "euro" currency?
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

UK is a member of the EU. Perhaps you are confused because they don't use the "euro" currency?
You're right, but I also thought for travel purposes they did NOT have an open border with the rest of the EU/Schengen countries. They'd let me in due to my US passport, and not because I was already in another Schengen country.

I may be missing something basic here..lol
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:33 pm
BE Irregular

No more help from me. What's a Schengen?
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcoa
You're right, but I also thought for travel purposes they did NOT have an open border with the rest of the EU/Schengen countries. They'd let me in due to my US passport, and not because I was already in another Schengen country.
This is correct. You still won't have any problems.
Old May 4th 2013, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by henryh
This is correct. You still won't have any problems.
Thanks. Can anyone confirm on the arrival/departure stamping. I know they'll put an arrival stamp in Munich when I first land there; will they also stamp a departure when I leave for the UK a few hours later, seeing that I will be boarding a flight to UK i.e. a non-Schengen country? (Flight to UK is on a separate ticket so I'll be collecting and re-checking luggage at Munich).

Just trying to understand what to expect at all the airports.
Old May 4th 2013, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

My USC brother in law visited us in Europe back in February for two weeks. During this time he entered the UK twice without any problems.
Old May 6th 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Except in my case I'll be leaving Germany (EU) and arriving in UK (non-EU state?)
The UK is in the EU...but not in the EMU (European Monetary Union or "Euro Zone").
Old May 6th 2013, 4:30 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

No more help from me. What's a Schengen?
Several EU countries, as well as some EFTA countries, operate an open border common travel area (known as Schengen). So if you are admitted to one Schengen country you are effectively admitted to them all as there are no longer any formal immigration checks carried out on travellers between Schengen states.

The UK and Eire maintain their own seperate common travel area and are not part of Schengen. Therefore the OP will experience immigration checks on the journeys to/from Munich and London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

Thanks. Can anyone confirm on the arrival/departure stamping. I know they'll put an arrival stamp in Munich when I first land there; will they also stamp a departure when I leave for the UK a few hours later, seeing that I will be boarding a flight to UK i.e. a non-Schengen country? (Flight to UK is on a separate ticket so I'll be collecting and re-checking luggage at Munich).

Just trying to understand what to expect at all the airports.
Your passport will be stamped on entry into both Germany and the UK. It might be stamped by the German authorities on exit from Germany to the UK (unsure about Munich airport but practices vary a lot across the EU regarding immigration checks on departing passengers). I doubt very much whether it will be stamped when you leave the UK to travel back to Munich as the UK doesn't have any routine outbound immigration checks.
Old May 6th 2013, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The UK is in the EU...but not in the EMU (European Monetary Union or "Euro Zone").
I've always found this diagram quite useful for understanding the various European institutions and which countries are within which:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.