US fridge to UK?

Old May 14th 2004, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default US fridge to UK?

Hello to all.

Well I have been searching online and can't find a definate answer to this.... One site said yes its ok but was to technical for me... LOL

So.....

We have a side by side fridge here in california. It's a hotpoint make which is reassuring....

We want to take it to the UK and are not sure if it will be ok.. We can purchase a transformer here pretty cheap...

So anyone know if it will be OK...

Thanks very much.....
Old May 14th 2004, 8:42 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US fridge to UK?

Originally posted by honeymommy
Hello to all.

Well I have been searching online and can't find a definate answer to this.... One site said yes its ok but was to technical for me... LOL

So.....

We have a side by side fridge here in california. It's a hotpoint make which is reassuring....

We want to take it to the UK and are not sure if it will be ok.. We can purchase a transformer here pretty cheap...

So anyone know if it will be OK...

Thanks very much.....
From what I've seen of kitchens and doorways in the UK, you'll need to build an extension to your house.
Old May 14th 2004, 12:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US fridge to UK?

Originally posted by dunroving
From what I've seen of kitchens and doorways in the UK, you'll need to build an extension to your house.
No, you can fit a British kitchen in the corner of the fridge.
Old May 14th 2004, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

ROFL.....

I need 28" wide door to get it in.... Thats with the doors off...

Can see it now.......

Rental agent..... " How can I help you madam?"
Me...... " I want to rent a house with 29" wide doors and a large kitchen please"

Looking at the UK prices it will cost about GBP 1500 to replace our fridge, so if we can take it with us then thats a saving....

So... power wise I need to know if it will work.... I know I can get a transformer and have found one that automatically adjusts to power surges.... takes up to 5000 watts......

Just hoping someone had some experience of this......

Well off now to my huge kitchen with my huge fridge nestled in the corner, to cool off as it's going to be 90 degrees here today.... LOL
Old May 14th 2004, 3:49 pm
mickj

There is another way round this, sell the fridge and get one in the UK from one of those large home stores, even Argos does a fridge for a reasonable price, mine in the UK is a side by side fridge, and so is the one i have here in canada, and so is my sister's one in the UK, and it didn't cost us that much over there in the UK. But am a MAYTAG person, love their appliances

Am talking huge fridge here, with the buttons in front, where you put your cup and press for a drink. To save yourself a lot of aggro, sell the fridge before going home.

Its your choice though, whats the point if it won't fit into where you are going to be renting back home?
Attached Thumbnails US fridge to UK?-10011585.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 14th 2004 at 4:03 pm.

Old May 14th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

The cheapest one in argos is GBP 750.... so thats about $1500. Add another GBP1500 to that and thats what we can afford for a car when we get back... LOL

CAN'T GET TO WORK TODAY MATE, MA FRIDGE WON'T START.

If I can get a transformer for very little, $140 /GBP 70 and take the fridge back them I am quids in.......

I just checked the argos site and they have one with the same dimensions as ours debthwise. so it will be ok....

The shipping is pretty much organised and I know there is plenty of room in the container......

So.... Anyone know if it will work OK????

Last edited by honeymommy; May 14th 2004 at 4:38 pm.
Old May 14th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Hi Honeymommy,

Just wanted to know what type of things you are taking and how much the container costs?

My husband and I are planning to move to the UK next year and are wondering whether it makes sense to hire a container or sell everything and start over in the UK.

Thanks in advance,

Kat
Old May 14th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello... katnap8

Quotes ahave ranged from$3800 to $9000..... I played 3 companies off against each other for about a month and a half and have a final price of $4600 from here in California to the UK port in London..... Custom fees will be my resposibility as will getting the stuff from the port to the house.... It did include basic shipping insurance , but bakers insurance is extra if you want it.....

For doorUS to doorUK I was quoted $6000 so I think it is definately worth shipping if your stuff to replace will cost more than GBP 3000......

All those quotes included packing and supplies by the way.....

We are very lucky... Brother in law works for an export company that have an office here in LA, and they are going to give us a quote at cost from US to UK port..... We will pack ourselves and load ourselves but it will help so much towards reducing costs for us.........

I have just finished packing 3 picture frames about 5'x3' and am knackered... LOL off to luch with a friend methinks......
Old May 14th 2004, 6:31 pm
mickj

For that kind of money you quoted above, i will want a door-to-door service. Folks here in canada have paid less than tha, and it has involved packing and door2door.

Anyway for folks still finding it hard to locate the pound sign on the keyboard, and keep writing GBP, try this:

hold down the ALT key, and press 0163

Bob is your uncle.
Attached Thumbnails US fridge to UK?-maytagimagesset.jpg  

Old May 14th 2004, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wonderful news....

Thanks.... mickj

Can you tell me who to contact to get a lower quote than the $4600 US door to UK port including packing and insurance... but from door to door.......

That would be really great thanks.....