Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US Driving license in UK, however...

Wikiposts

US Driving license in UK, however...

Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

cwooloff is on a distinguished road
Default US Driving license in UK, however...

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but seemed like a logical place to start.

Just passed my US driving test, but never passed in UK. Would I be allowed to drive in the UK (when we go back to visit) under the same conditions as a US person?

Not really sure, can kind of see the DVLA having some stupid rule because I am from the UK....

Any assistance would be appreciated

Carl
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Driving license in UK, however...

My daughter, who lives in the UK permanently (not a UK citizen, however) drives on her US license and is insured by a UK company. I don't think being a UK citizen would make a difference. I would imagine its whether your insured or not.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwooloff
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question but seemed like a logical place to start.

Just passed my US driving test, but never passed in UK. Would I be allowed to drive in the UK (when we go back to visit) under the same conditions as a US person?

Not really sure, can kind of see the DVLA having some stupid rule because I am from the UK....

Carl
Yes you can rent a car and drive using your US licence.
Forum Regular

DMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the roughDMDA is a jewel in the rough

My brother never had a UK licence but was able to hire a car based on his US licence when he visited a few years ago, with no issues.

He only had two minor dings...and lost a wing mirror...something about "small cars and lanes not being wide enough!"
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwooloff
Hi All,

Carl

Most rental car companies have policies when it comes to both age (normally 25) or driving experience (usually 1 -2 years) when it comes to renting out their vehicles.

Check the small print.

Jim.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My daughter, who lives in the UK permanently (not a UK citizen, however) drives on her US license and is insured by a UK company. I don't think being a UK citizen would make a difference. I would imagine its whether your insured or not.
Legally a resident of the UK can only use a foreign licence for up to 12 months. If you're in the UK longer than 12 months then you're driving illegally and therefore the insurance company will probably not pay out if involved in an accident.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 27th 2010 at 5:48 am.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:45 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

As a visitor to the UK you will be able to drive, rent a car (subject to normal car rental company restrictions such as age, as mentioned by others who replied.) You can drive in the UK with your foreign licence (your US license) for up to one year. Obviously, this is more than enough time for holiday visits etc.

For someone returning to the UK or settling there, they would need to obtain a Provisional Licence and pass the Driving Test before the 12-month period elapses, in order to be able to continue driving.

Here's the page from Directgov

(Oops sorry, did not notice your post, Jerseygirl.)
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Legally a resident of the UK can only use a foreign licence for up to 12 months. If you're in the UK longer than 12 months then you're driving illegally and therefore the insurance company will probably not pay out if involved in an accident.
She was told by someone who works for DVLA that as long as she went in and out of the country, it would start the whole process over again. At any rate her insurance (Norwich Union, which is now Aviva or something like that) has insured her with no problems.

Still, it would be much better for her to have her UK license.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

cwooloff is on a distinguished road

Thanks very much all. Great to know.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to note if you are living in the UK and driving with foreign driving licence and you get a speeding/using a cell phone/not wearing seatbelt ticket etc, you would not get any penalty points endorsed on your licence but the DVLA keep a record of your details and if you get a UK licence it will have any valid (within previous 3 yrs) points added to it. (I was told of this in my last job when I worked for the Courts Service in the UK) Not sure how it would work though. The DVLA are ridiculously slow at doing anything! You are supposed to update your address if you move and if you don't you get a £1000 fine if your details are wrong. I do not know of one single person being given this fine.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 6:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

She was told by someone who works for DVLA that as long as she went in and out of the country, it would start the whole process over again. At any rate her insurance (Norwich Union, which is now Aviva or something like that) has insured her with no problems.

Of course she got that in writing from the DVLA didn't she?

I don't think that will wash with the cops is she's stopped or with the insurance company if she tries to make a claim. The insurance company may be willing to take her money but she's driving illegally and therefore I am 99% she is not insured. There's probably something in the small print that she has have use a valid licence...her US licence is no longer valid in the UK.

I used to work with a Dutch girl who did exactly the same thing as your daughter is doing...until she was in an RTA...then she was well and truly up the swanny.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

There have been threads over on UK Yankee about this. The consensus was that just leaving the country but not giving up residence doesn't reset the clock. Additionally, if you've been there over a year, you will have to be accompanied whilst driving on a UK provisional license even if you have a US one. it really pays to pass your test within the year window.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Of course she got that in writing from the DVLA didn't she?

I don't think that will wash with the cops is she's stopped or with the insurance company if she tries to make a claim. The insurance company may be willing to take her money but she's driving illegally and therefore I am 99% she is not insured. There's probably something in the small print that she has have use a valid licence...her US licence is no longer valid in the UK.

I used to work with a Dutch girl who did exactly the same thing as your daughter is doing...until she was in an RTA...then she was well and truly up the swanny.
She has actually had two speeding tickets (my daughter ) with no ill results as yet. Although, as I said, she would be much better off getting her UK license, which is continually getting harder and harder to get.

Last edited by AmerLisa; Jul 27th 2010 at 11:24 am.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There have been threads over on UK Yankee about this. The consensus was that just leaving the country but not giving up residence doesn't reset the clock. Additionally, if you've been there over a year, you will have to be accompanied whilst driving on a UK provisional license even if you have a US one. it really pays to pass your test within the year window.
It certainly does, and I'm not saying it isn't the right thing to do (ask my daughter how much I nag....)
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

She has actually had two speeding tickets (my daughter ) with no ill results as yet. Although, as I said, she would be much better off getting her UK license, which is continually getting harder and harder to get.
cops are lazy...insurance companies are not when it comes to paying out though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.