Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US citizen & UK citizen to marry in UK

US citizen & UK citizen to marry in UK

Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

bokemura77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default US citizen & UK citizen to marry in UK

I am an American citizen engaged to a British citizen. We both currently live in Japan, but are planning to move to the USA in a few months. We would like to get married in England next year. Would I need a visa to marry in the UK? What visas would my partner need to live in the US?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US citizen & UK citizen to marry in UK

Originally Posted by bokemura77
I am an American citizen engaged to a British citizen. We both currently live in Japan, but are planning to move to the USA in a few months. We would like to get married in England next year. Would I need a visa to marry in the UK? What visas would my partner need to live in the US?
Yes, you will need the correct visa which allows you to marry in the UK. A USC can no longer enter the UK as a tourist and marry.

The rest of your post is a little confusing. If you are only engaged, yet the UKC wants to move permanently to the USA, he would need a K-1 fiance visa in order to do that. However, on the K-1, he would need to marry you within 90 days of his arrival in the USA - so there goes your wedding next year in the UK. Also, the K-1 visa will take longer than just a few months - usually around 8 to 10 months, so there goes you both coming to live in the USA together in just a few months.

If you are set on coming to the USA within just a few months, and want to wait until next year to get married in the UK, your UKC fiance will need his own visa which permits him to come live in the USA - work visa, student visa, investment visa, something like that.

How long have you both lived in Japan? If you've been there more than 6 months, perhaps if you get married now, in Japan (if that's possible), then you can file an I-130 towards a spouse immigrant visa in Japan (instead of in the USA), and it could take around 4 to 6 months for him to get his Immigrant Visa to the USA.

You do have some options, but none of them really will bring him to the USA within only a few months time.

Rene
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are all the ways someone can come to live and work in the USA: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Rene
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bokemura77
If your UKC partner is coming to the US based on your relationship, there are only a few options; all of them take more than "a few months".

What is your plan? When does the UK citizen want to move to the US?