Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

US child support payments to UK bank account. Getting my US kids into UK schools.

US child support payments to UK bank account. Getting my US kids into UK schools.

Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Mdauphin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile US child support payments to UK bank account. Getting my US kids into UK schools.

Hi everyone, I am seriously thinking of taking my US born (but UK citizens by descent) kids, 15 & 11 back home to England because of my divorce.
I have lots of concerns but a main worry is how I would receive child support payments to a UK bank without losing too much money in the transaction. I looked at international banks but they are for people with $50,000 and up which I do not have. Also, I've read on here that kids are sometimes stuck without a school for a period of time when they move back. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any advice 😊
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US child support payments to UK bank account. Getting my US kids into UK schools.

Either have the money transferred to you using an on-line FX broker, such as Transferwise, WorldFirst, xoom, xe, etc.

Or better still, keep your US account open and receive the funds there, then transfer funds yourself using an on-line FX broker. You will have more control, will avoid arguments about when/whether a payment was sent, and will circumvent the problem that at least some brokers/ states require that the name on the sending and receiving accounts must be the same.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: US child support payments to UK bank account. Getting my US kids into UK schools.

Thanks. I originally planned to do that and keep the US bank account but I don't know if the banks allow it if you don't have a US address.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I have a US bank with a UK address, you need to go in and ask.
Mine gets a monthly payment deposited in $ I also have bill pay attached to it. I use a US credit card in dollars and pay it off each time use it by the Bill pay on my US account.
Before you go to all that trouble, make sure you are legally allowed to move the kids out of the country.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My experience with transferring daughter to a school in the UK was that I just turned up and filled in a form !
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I have a US bank with a UK address, you need to go in and ask.
Mine gets a monthly payment deposited in $ I also have bill pay attached to it. I use a US credit card in dollars and pay it off each time use it by the Bill pay on my US account.
Before you go to all that trouble, make sure you are legally allowed to move the kids out of the country.
Thank you that's good to know. They'll be allowed to leave. It's in the separation agreement that I'm getting custody and can take them. Which bank do you use?
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
My experience with transferring daughter to a school in the UK was that I just turned up and filled in a form !
So it was fast then? I wanted to try and go before school starts in sept but time is running out.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Was that in the 1950s or the 1960s?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Was that in the 1950s or the 1960s?
, it's nowhere near as easy as that now, you may well have difficulties if you are looking at a school in a particular area, and there are waiting lists for many. People usually apply early in the year, waiting till now will mean that you may well get allocated to a school that others don't want to go to.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mdauphin
So it was fast then? I wanted to try and go before school starts in sept but time is running out.
Do you already know what your UK address will be?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 11:38 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mdauphin
Hi everyone, I am seriously thinking of taking my US born (but UK citizens by descent) kids, 15 & 11 back home to England because of my divorce.
I have lots of concerns but a main worry is how I would receive child support payments to a UK bank without losing too much money in the transaction. I looked at international banks but they are for people with $50,000 and up which I do not have. Also, I've read on here that kids are sometimes stuck without a school for a period of time when they move back. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any advice 😊
You need to make sure you are allowed to take the children abroad. Normally, the other parent who pays child support wants to see his children too and the court won't permit the children to move abroad.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
You need to make sure you are allowed to take the children abroad. .....
Already addressed, aee post #6 above.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyf67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
, it's nowhere near as easy as that now, you may well have difficulties if you are looking at a school in a particular area, and there are waiting lists for many. People usually apply early in the year, waiting till now will mean that you may well get allocated to a school that others don't want to go to.

It is not easy to get children into a "good" school. There are waiting lists and intake criteria's differ for each school (i.e. some independent state schools are allowed to do their own intake). If you have a UK address I would get their names down as soon as you can if you now when you will be returning, or ask to go on to their waiting lists, the intake was completed in April for Primary Schools. Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do you already know what your UK address will be?
I'm most likely going to my mums so I can use that address for the time being.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cindyf67

It is not easy to get children into a "good" school. There are waiting lists and intake criteria's differ for each school (i.e. some independent state schools are allowed to do their own intake). If you have a UK address I would get their names down as soon as you can if you now when you will be returning, or ask to go on to their waiting lists, the intake was completed in April for Primary Schools. Good luck.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.